Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 02:49 PM

279 posts, read 508,210 times

Advertisements

Making the move to Palm Harbor from MA. Hopefully it all happens before summer. The only things that keep us from heading down now is selling our current home which goes on the market next week and receiving my wife's RN license for the state of Florida. Wife and I have 2 kids 5 and 2 and reading many threads here I can see the school systems are good. We already have jobs lined up (company transfer for me). The biggest obstacle will be selling our home and thankfully we live in a high demand development and homes have been selling within weeks in the past. Anywho it has been 2 years in the making and we have come to the final decision for Palm Harbor.

Will likely rent first then get our feelers out there for locations to purchase home.

Thanks to many here who have been very helpful to me and others who were in the same process.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 04:37 PM

436 posts, read 1,120,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo75 View Post
Making the move to Palm Harbor from MA. Hopefully it all happens before summer. The only things that keep us from heading down now is selling our current home which goes on the market next week and receiving my wife's RN license for the state of Florida. Wife and I have 2 kids 5 and 2 and reading many threads here I can see the school systems are good. We already have jobs lined up (company transfer for me). The biggest obstacle will be selling our home and thankfully we live in a high demand development and homes have been selling within weeks in the past. Anywho it has been 2 years in the making and we have come to the final decision for Palm Harbor.

Will likely rent first then get our feelers out there for locations to purchase home.

Thanks to many here who have been very helpful to me and others who were in the same process.

Steve
Congrats. I'm curious...how did you come to decide on Palm Harbor? Good luck on the move.

I'm moving to St Pete in May, although my wife and I do not presently have kids. If we stay in the area, I'd look at a 'burb like Palm Harbor, Dunedin, or something similar. I'm just not a fan of the cookie cutter neighborhoods. I am a fan of great schools, though.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbillyx View Post
Congrats. I'm curious...how did you come to decide on Palm Harbor? Good luck on the move.

I'm moving to St Pete in May, although my wife and I do not presently have kids. If we stay in the area, I'd look at a 'burb like Palm Harbor, Dunedin, or something similar. I'm just not a fan of the cookie cutter neighborhoods. I am a fan of great schools, though.
thanks

I have a friend that has been living in Palm Harbor for the past 10 years and the school systems were a big draw. The west side of Tarpon Lake is not as Cookie cut from what I can see but I'm not gonna rule out East Lake. We had 4 areas of interest and 3 were in Florida. Orlando, Ft Lauderdale area, PH or San Diego.

In the last few months we were down to SD and PH. I'm fortunate to have offices in all 4 of the locations and I wanted to do SD but I knew that we would most likely live comfortably in Florida vs SD. Another reason is my folks would like to move to Florida within the next 2 years. There was so much more into the decision but those were the primary.

Good luck in your move.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:44 PM

23 posts, read 65,151 times
Default palm harbor beaches

what beach would you go to if you live in Palm Harbor?

Old 03-28-2011, 04:49 PM

471 posts, read 1,660,680 times
Honeymoon Island is the closest, next closest is the beach at Fred Howard Park in Tarpon Springs, and then Clearwater beach which is 20-25 minutes.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,388 times
Is Palm Harbor a good town for families or is it more retired people? Looking into Palm Harbor for our relocation but we have kids (ages 3-13) and would want some good neighborhoods that have a bunch of other kids for them to play with. Any suggestions?

Old 03-31-2011, 11:23 AM

I have kids 2-5 and have heard Palm Harbor is great for family's with kids and the school system is very good.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:14 PM

436 posts, read 1,120,546 times
Yes, Palm Harbor is supposed to be great for families. The public schools are very good, especially for Florida. Palm Harbor is a little younger than neighboring Dunedin (source: CD stats).

Old 03-31-2011, 02:04 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbillyx View Post
Yes, Palm Harbor is supposed to be great for families. The public schools are very good, especially for Florida. Palm Harbor is a little younger than neighboring Dunedin (source: CD stats).
For those moving from "up north", Palm Harbor isn't so much a town with a town center as a series of subdivisions united by strip malls. You can find it anywhere in the country-- a vista of McMansions, Olive Garden, and Lowe's, with the occasional local business tucked between. Our version has some palm trees and azaleas. It's nice, in a bland and deed-restricted sort of way. Dunedin has a town center and is more cohesive. You can live downtown and walk to a bagpipe concert or the Green Market in the park. Dunedin is also more diverse chronologically, ethnically, socially and socioeconomically, which is either good or bad depending on your own personal opinions.
Generally speaking Palm Harbor tends to have decent schools (with the qualifier "for Florida"-- nobody in his right mind moves to this county for the schools), largely because there's always been an influential school board member or two in the area. When Clayton Wilcox was superintendent, he lived in Dunedin, but redistricted his neighborhood so his kids could go to school in Palm Harbor. Dunedin, which lacks political clout, has since become sort of a dumping ground for the ghetto between downtown Clearwater and the southern edge of town. (Almost all of the kids who attend Dunedin Elementary are Clearwater residents, due to the county's weird boundary lines.)

Last edited by Aconite; 03-31-2011 at 02:12 PM..

Old 03-31-2011, 02:52 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,647,422 times
The schools in the Eastlake area of Palm Harbor are very good,also Safety Harbor Middle has a good magnet program if you excel in math and Palm Harbor University H.S. has an IB program that is excellent (I know first hand)! To my knowledge Clayton Wilcox lived in Countrywoods that is in a weird limbo type area that has a Palm Harbor zip code yet is considered Dunedin. I think its just the past school year that the area was redistricted I don't think his children benefited from it as he left the area for greener pastures!!On the whole , while Dunedin is quaint for a family Palm Harbor is a better way to go(I have lived in both)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay