U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 07:17 PM

2 posts, read 5,032 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are a family of five (middle and elementary school age children) moving from a small town in PA to Tampa - gathering ideas/opinions on areas to live.

Info -

Work is off Exit 254 from I75 - willing to drive up to 45 mins
Schools/education extremely important
Quality soccer/sports programs important
Prefer easy access to restaurants (preferably not chain), parks, grocery and retail
House prices up to $450k

Appreciate any input.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 08:59 PM

108 posts, read 337,697 times
If memory serves, that's a little bit past Temple Terrace and not too far from Thonotosassa. You could check out Safety Harbor which is next to Clearwater, but you're looking at about 45-60min commute. On the other hand, Safety Harbor is very conveniently located to St. Pete and Tampa. Airports are also close. There are some good schools; Countryside High and Clearwater High for when your kids get older. Lots of activities and restaurants also.

I lived in Safety Harbor for over 15 years and miss it dearly. My parents are still there. We live in NYC now, but just bought a house in Shohola, PA.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:20 PM

471 posts, read 1,543,911 times
I like safety harbor too, but no way I would recommend it for someone who is working near Temple Terrace.
Temple Terrace itself has some lovely homes, but I have no clue about the schools there.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:13 PM

140 posts, read 168,331 times
We moved here (family of 6) from Minnesota 8 years ago. We chose Brandon because of its accessibility to both I-4 and I-75. My job requires travel throughout Florida, so we ruled out the Clearwater area due to traffic.

We've really enjoyed Brandon. There is traffic here, but once you learn the roads, you can figure out your options pretty quickly. We have the typical chain restaurants, but there's several local favorites, too.

As for schools, our kids have attended Cimino Elementary, Burns Middle School, and Bloomingdale High School. The teachers at Cimino were awesome and kept connected with the parents. For both the middle and high school, unless you get yourself involved in the PTA, Band Boosters, or other volunteer opportunities, it's harder to meet the teachers, which is understandable when you consider the number of students. Most will tell you at orientation that they will eventually return phone calls, but will respond to emails, and the only time you'll hear from them is when there's a concern with your child.

The quality of the schools is excellent. Our two oldest girls have graduated from Bloomingdale, and were very active in the music programs they offer.

I am happy with our choice to move to Brandon. The people are very friendly, and there is a diverse population. Overall, if we had to do it again, I would make the same choice.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Old 04-01-2011, 06:33 AM

494 posts, read 1,502,514 times
5 kids sounds like a lot of running around.

I'd connect the dots from schools and work locations and be inside that circle. You can probably find something. Forget the restaurants - your gonna drive to those anywhere, even downtown.

The thing that messes everything up is that a 45 minute drive on a good day is 1.5 hours on a bad one. 15 on a good one is 30-45 on a bad one.

$450k will buy a LOT of house. Decide if you want some space or a community. Lakefront, or??

You should be able to get something convenient and fun.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:50 PM

2 posts, read 5,032 times
Thank you everyone for the responses.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:46 AM

3 posts, read 7,573 times
I would not recommend any place but New Tampa. Very diverse community, new subdivisions, self-sustaining area with lots of restaurants, businesses. Very safe and great schools. Good luck

Old 04-02-2011, 03:49 PM

6 posts, read 14,885 times
Seminole has the best schools in the Tampa area..

Old 04-02-2011, 05:13 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,491,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaxwell View Post
I would not recommend any place but New Tampa. Very diverse community, new subdivisions, self-sustaining area with lots of restaurants, businesses. Very safe and great schools. Good luck
Yeah, far-off New Tampa is the only good area in the entirety of the Bay Area.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:16 PM

670 posts, read 1,127,654 times
As usual, I recommend Riverview!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay