Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 07:41 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCGator View Post
Yeah, the crime situation is unfortunate. We actually initially thought we might buy in old NE. After living where we're at now, which is kind of on the outskirts of old NE, we're concerned that if the city of St Pete can't get the vagrant problem under control, there will be creep into old NE. In talking with our local police enforcement, they're just overwhelmed. 1/16 people who live in my zip code are homeless and the crimes they commit are so petty there's nothing the cops can do except arrest them, toss them in the drunk tank and then let them out again. It makes the neighborhood an unpleasant, but not necessarily dangerous place to live.

We're looking in the Woodlawn area now. We had initially decided we liked Snell Isle and Shore Acres, but its in an AE8 Flood zone and insurance is costly.
Great info, glad you posted. I am trying to learn about the realities of the neighborhoods there as well. I love the look of St Pete but the crime and vagrants do make me apprehensive about buying anything there. Where exactly is the Woodlawn area? (I don't live in St. Pete, me and hubby like to visit from Sarasota)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 08:50 AM

571 posts, read 790,963 times
Likes: I'm in Old NE so I can walk to the bay, the mini-beach, pool, the parks, downtown, concerts, etc. I even walked to the Trop for a Ray's game this week. You can walk along the Bay from Coffee Pot Park at 30th Ave N all the way to the Dali Museum at 5th Ave S and it's all really pretty.

The architecture is cool, agree w/ gypsychic, reminds me of old LA architecture. It's almost run-down, but not quite. But I like that about St. Pete, some people don't.

Distinctive neighborhoods like Roser Park, Driftwood, Old SE, Jungle Prada, etc.

Laid back, friendly people. I kinda disagree about the racial tension stuff. I feel like people in St. Pete are less hung up about race than alot of other towns in Florida. I lived in Sarasota for a long time and I feel like people tried really hard not to be unaccepting but it seemed like any time someone who wasn't white came into a bar or restaurant, everyone noticed.

Dislikes:

Homeless. There are whole areas of downtown that are shut-off to most people because they've become homeless people enclaves. The Library, Mirror Lake, Williams Park, parts of Central. There's also a bunch of slummy apartment buildings around downtown that house the quasi-homeless.

Weird buildings. Especially around Pasadena and on the Beaches. Grey, run-down buildings. Soviet style architecture.

The Pier/Baywalk. Cheezy and artificial. Hope they tear down the pier and build a new one for community use. Maybe a green park with walk-ways and fishing areas on the sides and then at the end have basketball and tennis courts and maybe a little area for events and stuff.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:03 PM
emh emh started this thread

298 posts, read 852,010 times
Thanks to everyone who continues to post and tell me about their likes and dislikes!!!

Old 04-10-2011, 07:39 AM

44 posts, read 94,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post
My biggest complaint, more than the humidity, more than the bugs, more than the endless flat terrain, are the people here. The people in the Tampa Bay area are like this:

YouTube - Craig Morgan - Redneck Yacht Club

Maybe if you're from some big city this stuff real cute. But I've been looking at it all my life here. I can't finish college soon enough.

See, that's what I'm afraid of. My husband is all set to move to Tampa since he found out I could transfer there with my job. I'm originally from Kentucky and I hate that "redneck" vibe. My workplace would definitely be in Tampa - I could live further out - would that solve the issue? Lol

Old 04-10-2011, 10:23 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckypooh1972 View Post
See, that's what I'm afraid of. My husband is all set to move to Tampa since he found out I could transfer there with my job. I'm originally from Kentucky and I hate that "redneck" vibe. My workplace would definitely be in Tampa - I could live further out - would that solve the issue? Lol
For the millionth time, Tampa is NOT redneck, at least not within the city. When you go in into the outskirts in the small towns in the county, yeah, you will see that. Tampa has a pretty diverse ethnic mix, I grew up there, I am Spanish.

And even if you do encounter "rednecks", doesn't automatically mean they are bad people. I wish people would just be more tolerant, the world would be a better place.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:23 PM

988 posts, read 1,828,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
For the millionth time, Tampa is NOT redneck, at least not within the city. When you go in into the outskirts in the small towns in the county, yeah, you will see that. Tampa has a pretty diverse ethnic mix, I grew up there, I am Spanish.

And even if you do encounter "rednecks", doesn't automatically mean they are bad people. I wish people would just be more tolerant, the world would be a better place.
I've been sitting on the wayside of the journey of this conversation. However, I've really become inquisitive on a related question that has come up.

For reference, I know very little about the Tampa/St. Pete area...my interest is coming from starting to think about where I want to move - after a lifetime living in MN, the brutal winters have come all but unbearable to me. My plan is live in MN through the summer, then off to a new life somewhere warm - which might be FL, TX, or AZ.

Anyway, I see much reference to the supposed "redneck" element of Tampa/St. Pete. I'd like to learn more about this...what exactly are you defining as "redneck"? In the Craig Morgan video suggested as "redneck", I see people with expensive water vehicles spending the afternoon with friends and drinking some beverages. Is this "redneck"? Is listening to country music "redneck"? Is subscribing to conservative politics "redneck"? If I may be forthright, I get some insinuation that these things are considered "redneck", though my definition would be something far different. My definition might be something much closer to the show "My Name Is Earl", and then there's a question of to what extent they are "bad" people. There's plenty of "sophisticated people" of New York or Washington DC I would not enjoy being around due to their phoniness and/or arrogance.

I'm not trying to start an argument just to be combative. My questions are meant sincerely...I look forward to sincere response! However, I'm trying to ascertain if "redneck" is simply being not politically correct or not drinking lattes at Starbucks while discussing how oh-so-sophisticated we are because we read the New York Times. Frankly, I listen to country music on occasion (though not exclusively) and I am somewhere between being too Libertarian for Republicans but too Republican for Libertarians - does this make me "redneck"?

I look forward to response to what specifically is considered "redneck" in Tampa/St. Pete so I can get an idea if I will like the area should I select your city as my new home come fall and cold (though, to be honest Minneapolis/St. Paul is still struggling to get out of winter-like weather).

Old 04-17-2011, 08:58 AM

36 posts, read 64,867 times
I see a number of people complaining about the homeless in st pete. Didn't a lot of them move to the Hillsborough side of the bay after they passed the panhandling ordinance in st pete? My impression was that the homeless problem was really mitigated in st pete so I'm surprised to see people still talking about it as a negative.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:15 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerdFerguson View Post
I see a number of people complaining about the homeless in st pete. Didn't a lot of them move to the Hillsborough side of the bay after they passed the panhandling ordinance in st pete? My impression was that the homeless problem was really mitigated in st pete so I'm surprised to see people still talking about it as a negative.
There was a migration of sorts once Pinellas County and St. Pete passed panhandling bans, but being homeless is still legal. I don't know how much the city tolerates them, but there are a few places where they still hang out, like Williams Park and along the south side of 375.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:55 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 940,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
For reference, I know very little about the Tampa/St. Pete area...My plan is live in MN through the summer, then off to a new life somewhere warm - which might be FL, TX, or AZ. ... Anyway, I see much reference to the supposed "redneck" element of Tampa/St. Pete. I'd like to learn more about this...what exactly are you defining as "redneck"? ... I'm not trying to start an argument just to be combative. My questions are meant sincerely...I look forward to sincere response! However, I'm trying to ascertain if "redneck" is simply being not politically correct or not drinking lattes at Starbucks while discussing how oh-so-sophisticated we are because we read the New York Times. Frankly, I listen to country music on occasion (though not exclusively) and I am somewhere between being too Libertarian for Republicans but too Republican for Libertarians - does this make me "redneck"?
I'd define rednecks as uneducated, intolerant, poor white people. I would not generally call the bay area redneck. But this is FL; no matter where you are in FL, you're in or not far from a small southeastern town, and there are some rednecks here. This situation is almost certainly similar to wherever you're looking in TX or AZ. As for the latte drinkers, we've got transplants from everywhere, so they're here, along with everyone else. People are for the most part very nice. I'm a quasi-libertarian, and I fit in fine.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:30 AM

36 posts, read 64,867 times
This redneck thing is pretty easy. If you're in an urban area...no rednecks. If you're in a rural area...there will be rednecks. That applies to all over florida and pretty much anywhere else too. If you live in urban tampa bay there is nothing rednecky about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay