Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 06:42 PM
emh emh started this thread

298 posts, read 850,401 times

Advertisements

So first a bit of background. I'm turning 42 soon, am single and have no kids. I've been living outside of the US but will be returning soon. Don't really have a place to call home and I'm thinking of moving to St. Pete. Mainly because I love the ocean and I have a cousin whom I'm close with who lives there.

Anyway, I have visited a couple of times but visiting a place is obviously different than living there. Would love to hear from people who live (or used to live) in St. Pete. What do you like about it? What don't you like?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 08:26 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,070,981 times
Depends on where you have been living. Its a slower, but friendly city, with lots of activities going on for a city of it's size. Plenty of open parks and theatre, sports and outdoor dining options.
Ask others about the current state of economy, government of state etc. I am sure you will get a response there. Jobs could be tough if you are looking for public sector areas they are likely to be severely cut back. Good time to buy property though - if you can afford to stay here.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:10 PM

988 posts, read 1,823,158 times
I also am interested in this thread. I happen to be 39, but single and no kids. For me, my thoughts are geared towards moving as I've decided the last Minnesota winter is, indeed, the last one for this guy. I'm subscribing to the theory of "I love seasons...I just want to skip the s****y ones". Tampa/St. Pete is one area I'm looking. Now, lest you worry about a MN boy melting in FL summers I have been in Central America and experienced hot and humid so I have some idea of what it's like (and believe it or not, Minneapolis does get rather hot and humid - if for 5 minutes). I'm willing to try enduring it.

Anyway, I also am one that - at 39 - isn't going to be running around to every thumping club in town downing shots fast as I can buy them, but I'd like there to be some life and activity too. An occasional beer at a local joint would be nice, some nature would be nice, watching a ballgame would be good too. I also don't want to be in a community where I'm the "young pup" (sorry, FL retirees...no offense intended, I promise!)

Anyway, I'll be interested to see responses...

Old 04-04-2011, 10:12 PM

427 posts, read 1,091,286 times
My biggest complaint, more than the humidity, more than the bugs, more than the endless flat terrain, are the people here. The people in the Tampa Bay area are like this:

YouTube - Craig Morgan - Redneck Yacht Club

Maybe if you're from some big city this stuff real cute. But I've been looking at it all my life here. I can't finish college soon enough.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:26 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,284,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post
My biggest complaint, more than the humidity, more than the bugs, more than the endless flat terrain, are the people here. The people in the Tampa Bay area are like this:

YouTube - Craig Morgan - Redneck Yacht Club

Maybe if you're from some big city this stuff real cute. But I've been looking at it all my life here. I can't finish college soon enough.
I'm going to have to disagree.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:59 AM

257 posts, read 469,162 times
Disagree as well. You haven't seen redneck if Tampa is your view of what it is to be redneck.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:33 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,301,546 times
Where is everyone getting this redneck thing from? What do you expect if you live 30 minutes outside of the city. You get an hour out of new york city and redneckism is rampant.

I hardly ever see rednecks, that is because I am not stupid and didnt move to Pasco county like a lot of people on these forums, then come on here and complain about rednecks. You got what you deserved. When I start seeing people riding lawn tractors down bayshore, or spitting dip on the floor of Capital Grill, we have a problem. Until then, Tampa isn't worse than anywhere else.

39 is a tough age in this area. In St Pete, you would be the young buck, in Tampa, you might be the old creeper. Any interest in the Westshore business district which is in Tampa, closest to st pete. I would say there are a lot of late 20s to mid 40s.

On the plus side, if you are in your 40s and 50s in Tampa, you can date some smoking hot women in their 20s, regardless of how ulgy you are, not that I am impying you are ugly.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:53 AM

436 posts, read 1,118,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
Where is everyone getting this redneck thing from? What do you expect if you live 30 minutes outside of the city. You get an hour out of new york city and redneckism is rampant.

I hardly ever see rednecks, that is because I am not stupid and didnt move to Pasco county like a lot of people on these forums, then come on here and complain about rednecks. You got what you deserved. When I start seeing people riding lawn tractors down bayshore, or spitting dip on the floor of Capital Grill, we have a problem. Until then, Tampa isn't worse than anywhere else.
Haha! Pasco does seem to be the epicenter. And, yes, there are rednecks everywhere. Hell, I take trips to NE PA and am always shocked to see lots of rednecks...and it's 1.5 hours from NYC.

You shared some good advice for people. If you'd like to avoid "redneck culture" steer clear of Pasco. Stay in Pinellas or Hillsborough.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:55 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,102,653 times
The main thing that is keeping me from looking at home in St. Pete is that the schools in that area are not good.

Please, don't come behind me posting that all the school's in Florida or Pinellas county are bad. You know that is not true.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:30 PM

436 posts, read 1,118,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
The main thing that is keeping me from looking at home in St. Pete is that the schools in that area are not good.

Please, don't come behind me posting that all the school's in Florida or Pinellas county are bad. You know that is not true.
Right. GreatSchools provides ratings so people can see for themselves. http://www.greatschools.org

The schools in Palm Harbor and Seminole in particular appear to be highly rated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay