Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 12:33 PM

463 posts, read 1,049,425 times

Advertisements

I've searched online and read some reviews but I'd thought I'd ask here if anyone has an opinion regarding this middle school?

Good, bad etc.. It's a consideration for us and after touring it appears to be good but you know what they say.

So any good or bad experiences to share would be great.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 02:20 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,202,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumermarie View Post
I've searched online and read some reviews but I'd thought I'd ask here if anyone has an opinion regarding this middle school?

Good, bad etc.. It's a consideration for us and after touring it appears to be good but you know what they say.

So any good or bad experiences to share would be great.

Thanks!

If your child is a Hollister-and-Abercrombie wearing child of the upper middle class, a decent student with no discernible reason to stand out for either good or ill, he or she should do reasonably well. If your child is different-- a Special Ed kid, given to wearing clothing outside the norm, or socially awkward....be prepared for some social discomfort, possibly even outright bullying. And be prepared for the school administration to do little to nothing about it.

Academically...it's okay, for the area. As I said elsewhere, no one moves to Pinellas County looking for good schools (PHUHS's high opinion of itself notwithstanding).

Old 04-02-2011, 08:47 AM

^Well, she doesn't wear designer clothes, we usually shop at Target, it's more than sufficient. She's not socially awkward and gets good grades but struggles a little on reading comprehension sometimes.

I suppose I'll just have to wait and see. lol

Old 04-06-2011, 11:05 AM

Mental health check, charges ahead for boy accused in officer stabbing

Old 04-07-2011, 11:35 AM

^Yeah, I saw that, unfortunately this does not make me feel good about the school.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:00 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,611,447 times
When I was in middle school, a kid blew up a toilet in the bathroom with a pipe bomb. He had a mental eval and was found to be "fine". He came back to school and a couple weeks later put cyanide on another kid's cookie. That kid was rushed via ambulance to the hospital and was OK, and the one who did it was expelled.

This was not the same school being discussed here, but it was a well performing, highly thought of, suburban school. It does seem that the level and scope of the violence has escalated in recent years, but unfortunately, things like this have happened for a long time. I would not base my judgment of Carwise solely on this incident, although I would look into the school's safety record.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
When I was in middle school, a kid blew up a toilet in the bathroom with a pipe bomb. He had a mental eval and was found to be "fine". He came back to school and a couple weeks later put cyanide on another kid's cookie. That kid was rushed via ambulance to the hospital and was OK, and the one who did it was expelled.

This was not the same school being discussed here, but it was a well performing, highly thought of, suburban school. It does seem that the level and scope of the violence has escalated in recent years, but unfortunately, things like this have happened for a long time. I would not base my judgment of Carwise solely on this incident, although I would look into the school's safety record.
The schools' safety records can be misleading. Principals have discretion over how to categorize incidents. For example, one local middle school has a high on-campus arrest record, but that has partly to do with the fact that the principal and vice principal cut no deals, and will have the SRO arrest kids for any sort of violation-- even acting out in the lunchroom is an arrestable offense (parole violation) if the kid has a previous record as a runaway, or for fighting. Other principals will sweep things under the rug if the kid at fault is otherwise "a good kid" or "from a good family".

Example: my niece got in trouble a few years ago for having a knife in her backpack. (My niece, needless to say, is an idiot.) Because she was "a good kid" (i.e., she's a cheerleader and mom volunteers), she got a two day suspension for inappropriate behavior. Pinellas County guidelines call for ten days' suspension, involvement of the SRO, and recommendation for expulsion on a weapons charge, but "inappropriate behavior" is up to the principal's discretion and doesn't have the same shock value in the records.

Long story short-- do your homework, and ask questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay