Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 12:14 PM

463 posts, read 1,052,446 times

Advertisements

Declining prices are bad for sellers. They and they alone have issue with this. I don't know if its the way i was raised, but my parents thought me that you buy a house to LIVE, not to stay for few years and sell it, then buy another on another block. If your morgage is affordable, as chi_tino said, then it does not matter how much the house is worth because it's your home.

I have no symphaty for people who buy, stay for a year and the sell for higher price without any additions. They are hurting in declining price market and i don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 12:36 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,739,384 times
The problem is that people can't sell their houses. Many are way underwater now, so they are stuck trying to pay their huge mortgages and praying things will get better. Many of these no real equity left in their homes at all.

One big problem I see is that this makes mobility around the country difficult. Which adversely affects people's ability to be flexible about where they work and live, which affects the economy.

Great for first time buyers, great for foreign snowbirds like me, but not great for just about anybody else.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:48 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Most sellers are asking prices that are way too high.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:03 PM

463 posts, read 1,052,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
The problem is that people can't sell their houses. Many are way underwater now, so they are stuck trying to pay their huge mortgages and praying things will get better. Many of these no real equity left in their homes at all.

One big problem I see is that this makes mobility around the country difficult. Which adversely affects people's ability to be flexible about where they work and live, which affects the economy.

Great for first time buyers, great for foreign snowbirds like me, but not great for just about anybody else.
Most of the people did not know what they can afford and still bought it. If you can afford used honda, don't go and buy new lexus or BMW. If people can't plan their finances, then they deserve to be stuck in that situation. Yes i know things happen, but praying won't help here, updating resume and looking for a job might.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:24 PM

5 posts, read 8,389 times
Glad we held out! We were going to purchase a home in 06 after selling some bay front property and decided to wait until our last child was grown. We can now spend 1/3 less than we would have 5 years ago. Or, buy a house worth 3 times more than we pay for it.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:04 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,282,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
The problem is that people can't sell their houses. Many are way underwater now, so they are stuck trying to pay their huge mortgages and praying things will get better.
I have to call you out on this term: why would someone have an unreasonably large mortgage unless they intentionally put themselves in that situation?

That makes as much sense as saying people are victims because they have a huge car payment.

With the drastic fall in property taxes, my monthly housing payments have dropped dramatically over the past two years, so unless you became unemployed (which would cause a problem no matter WHAT your house was worth), again I have to question that term. Most people's monthly housing payments (mortgage + property taxes) are falling.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewas View Post
Most of the people did not know what they can afford and still bought it. If you can afford used honda, don't go and buy new lexus or BMW. If people can't plan their finances, then they deserve to be stuck in that situation. Yes i know things happen, but praying won't help here, updating resume and looking for a job might.
I think they knew but put that part in the back of their mind and just wanted to show off to their neighbors who also couldn't afford it...many took an additional line of credit for vacations, plastic surgery, a 3rd or 4th car, etc...

Now the same people are whining and blaming others...

Old 04-07-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
I have to call you out on this term: why would someone have an unreasonably large mortgage unless they intentionally put themselves in that situation?

That makes as much sense as saying people are victims because they have a huge car payment.

With the drastic fall in property taxes, my monthly housing payments have dropped dramatically over the past two years, so unless you became unemployed (which would cause a problem no matter WHAT your house was worth), again I have to question that term. Most people's monthly housing payments (mortgage + property taxes) are falling.
You nailed it...and on top of that nobody lost anything....only on paper, unless you sold your home!

It still amazes me how people whine about losing value when they didn't pay a dime down! What did they loose...their dream and bubble of owning a home that was paid by some one else and they basically paid rent for...

Owning something means you paid it off....

Old 04-08-2011, 01:20 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Most sellers are asking prices that are way too high.
Which is why their houses are still unsold. It's a stand off of unreasonable expectations vs market reality. They will finally have to bite the bullet and lower their asking prices. It's hard to admit that you made a foolish and costly decision.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:05 AM

177 posts, read 685,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Which is why their houses are still unsold. It's a stand off of unreasonable expectations vs market reality. They will finally have to bite the bullet and lower their asking prices. It's hard to admit that you made a foolish and costly decision.
As I tell my DW, I wouldn't call it a "foolish and costly decision". Most of these potential sellers bought their homes for what the market was charging at the time. If they wanted to buy a home in 2005 or 2006 (and to some extent a few years later and earlier), then they had to pay the bubble prices.

I do agree that many of these potential sellers (even those without a mortgage) have unreasonable expectations. And others would like to sell but are keeping their homes off the market because they are hoping that prices will rise significantly over the next few years.

We are planning to purchase a home in Sun City Center this summer. We had an offer on our South Carolina home last night after just three weeks on the market. We told the selling agent we wanted it priced to sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay