Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 12:46 PM

19 posts, read 57,015 times

Advertisements

Miss Fancy,
You are a true American success story. But to become that you need courage, which most lack. Along with courage I think one might need a very positive attitude. Positive attitude will enable one not waste their life by giving importance to trivial things. Some have it naturally and some may develop that with experience. I might fall in the second category. Hopefully younger generation can learn from others experience. I wanted to move south of Orlando to raise a big vegetable garden, but I need to hire help as I have arthritis. But husband needs a large population for his expertise, but Tampa is already crowded with people like him who settled there 1.5 decades back and are not ready to retire now. I am thinking about what you said, about creating opportunities, may be I will come up something. We all need more people like you in these times of recession. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 07:53 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,181,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockies09 View Post
Thanks for all the useful information. I am leaning towards Mobile,AL. A few years ago I would never have thought I would like to move to Alabama. But the pictures I saw (somewhere I cannot remember) of downtown and potential for growth impressed me. In some other thread I read about lack of bike paths. I would miss that. I also read west side of Mobile has traffic problems. There are beautiful houses on the west side I considered Nashville, but I am worried about allergies. I can see that entertainment on weekends may not be a problem in Mobile. I guess we have to deal with tornadoes or hurricanes like every one who lives there. Tampa may not work out for employment reasons. Is there anything I need to know about Mobile? If we need help in renovating the house or for occasional cleaning is help affordable? It may be take us a while to secure employment and sell our house here. Thanks for any input.
You'll have no problem finding cleaning help in Mobile. The biggest problem in Mobile as far as traffic is around airport Blvd. It seems to be crowded day no matter the time of day.

You might want to ask on the Mobile forum but I don't think traffic is nearly as bad on the west side of town if you are going Hwy90 towards MS. Many folks are moving out towards Semmes and Saraland. Not sure how that area is since it wasn't built up when I lived there.

Personally I love Mobile for the history and the beautiful old homes, however I would rather live in Baldwin county in either Fairhope or one of the small towns that are not subdivisions. Most areas are very safe and many folks do not lock their doors.

Each area has good and bad points. Tampa is great if you are looking for a big city near the water. Most subdivisions have tiny lots and many restrictions. There is a lot to do in Tampa if you aren't too picky.

Every place has it's good and bad.. it is just what appeals to you

Old 04-18-2011, 09:19 AM

7 posts, read 25,752 times
Times change, people don't adjust to change very well. They get comfortable with Thier Job but when that job leaves them or they hate there job but stay with it because they hate change, and fear the unknown, it keeps people prisoner to lack of ambition and creativity.

Florida has alot of tourism, alot of craft shows, fairs, gatherings, pow wows, flea markets etc. A person who has a talent, a art, something interesting, something that grabs attention to tourists to bring home, can make alot of money in any of these avenues.

The other option is buying wholesale and setting up retail at a fleamarket or eBay for lowest overhead.

Housekeeping is always in demand here. They are always so busy, I can't get one. LoL!
As is landscaping and nursery.

My farm is a gamebird production farm primarily. It's a niche. Not to mention we are FWC licensed when many aren't. but we also grow 40 varieties of fruits and vegetables in vertical stackers, garden beds, and in a greenhouse. We grow year round.

We get customers regularly who come to buy, our specialty show quality chickens, we originally started with standard breeds, but now we raise the specialty breeds for more money and we get it. It's a niche market. Customers also buy quail, pheasants, and baby chicks, and hatxhig eggs.

Parents enjoy bringing their kids to a actual working farm with horses and a bull to pay 5.00 for a Easter chick instead of going to a feed store. Because the kids get a really cool experience at the farm.

They get to see rabbits and bunnies, peacocks, and try strawberries right out of the gardens.
So we found a niche.

As for help. I have spina bifida, and osteoporosis and rheumatoid arthritis, my other N
Half is a retired deputy that was shot. We get help from the local shelter. We find a good person who is willing to work for a nice room fully furnished, full board and all his neccesities taken care of. And we train him for a few months. Then if he works out, he gets to keep all sales from chicks. We keep all sales on anything that goes outside. It works out food because he learns business and gets motivated to hatch eggs and sell them. And views them as money for him. But once they fo outside, Its the farms income because we pay for the feed.

You can find people who will work for room and board on these times, and you work out arrangements for income when your farming makes it. It gets homeless people off the street. Just be careful do background checks on people. But also understand that not all past crimes mean the person is a bad fit.

We had a guy for a year who had a burglary charge from 20 years past we didnt find out about till after we took him in. He was the most attentive In animal husbandry. He quit. We have a new guy now from same shelter. He had no issues. Just was misplaced due to being moved to Fl with a gf and she then decides to break up and leave state and He was stuck he with no where to live. With a out of state CDL license.

So he's a good working man with no job prospect here. But he's makin good Income here now with us and has no responsibilities to pay out. He is quite content.

So if you need help, dont overlook homeless shelters, they usually do the checks first. But always do your own. And don't overlook the homeless population. I've had stuff donated to my farm to assist us in growing the hydroponics because we work with homeless.

Recession is inevitable, change is inevitable. Nobody likes it, but when your amiable to change your leas likely to have issues to it. I have went with the changes and times each shift and blow the weather or my health has given me. I dont give up. Any day you can get up and put your feet on the floor is a good day, any day above ground is a great day!

Make the best of what the world gives you!
The difference between successful people and non successful people is
Successful people fall down, get back up and dust off and keep going.
Non successful people fall down, sit Thier and cry, why why why?

Avoid negaholics, they will always make you question your can do's, with can't do's.
If they can't succeed with that, they will bring Thier negativity into your dreams and goals and give you the drag. Negaholics are dangerous to the person who aspire to amiable change.

Change also is scary, it takes time to adjust. Jump in fast like a pool of cold water. You'll adjust. And that way you have no choice but to follow through
When we doubt ourselves we never put our full heart into it.

All my businesses I went in full heart. Only one was a loss.

I hope this has helped in some way. Florida and Nevada are the two states best for making your own business and are the easiest and cheapest to do so. Florida is better cause Nevada is hot! Haha.

Live Laugh Love Inspire,
Miss Fancy

Old 08-15-2011, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 1,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy101 View Post
my 2 cents worth,, nashville not one of the most friendy places.
I totally agree.....I lived in Nashville tooooo long and can tell you they are not very friendly. Many in Nashville feel that it is diverse because they have Latinos, Kurds, and Muslims LOL! As far as other cultures goes it is few, far, and in between. I love diversity and culture.....if that is what you are looking for Nashville is not the place. As far as what you are looking for.......you can have a garden in Nashville but that it is all......oh I forgot you will have lots of country music events too. As far as weather....Nashville has horrible heat (July/August is the worst)! I know that Florida has lots of heat as well but the water in Florida makes the big difference (the breeze that you will get as a result of being close to water). Nashville has a lake that is extremely far and not really worth it. As far as religion.....I am not Christian either and well.....Nashville is one of the bible belt states. There are churches at every turn and the attendees will come and knock on your door to preach to you. I became used to it so I just stopped opening the door but it really stinks when you want to sleep in on a Sunday and have someone bang on your door (its never the basic conservative knock). Everyone will invite you to their church and I have gone to many friends churches, mosque spiritual centers, etc. The experience in Nashville was good for what it was worth (getting a degree). I would go to Florida....hands down!

Old 08-15-2011, 11:14 AM

571 posts, read 790,536 times
I might go with Mobile. I live in the Tampa area but Mobile is pretty cool. Warm weather, great food (BBQ + Seafood + Soul Food), really cool architecture and lots of history without any of the tourists, friendly folk, close to beaches, etc.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:26 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
The OP said: "I was in Cape Coral, FL in July and did not enjoy the heat."

We are considering all three of these cities - but I would consider ALL of them hot places during the summer (though perhaps Nashville a little less hot for a shorter period of time.)

How can ANY of these fine cities work for someone who makes the above statement? What am I missing?

Old 08-21-2011, 07:02 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,181,103 times
Nashville is not as humid during the summer but it is much colder during the winter. Mobile is hot and humid and they also have a lot of thunderstorms during the summer. You also have hurricanes to deal with in both Mobile and Tampa. Nashville has tornadoes and snow. There is no perfect place.. you just have to find the one that you can live with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay