Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 08:05 AM

6 posts, read 8,277 times

Advertisements

We are plan to move to Tampa area by end of this year. we would like your advice to where we should rent a place and then buy a home.
1. we have two boys (6years and 2years), so good school area is a must.
2. We are Chinese, and looking for some area have more Chinese community.
3. Safety and Friendly area also important.
4. I can work at home, so anywhere in Tampa metro area is ok.

Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 01:04 PM

Anyone have any thought on this?
appreciated if you can help.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:39 PM

494 posts, read 1,675,407 times
I think you stumped folks with the Chinese community. There aren't that many ethnic areas that Eastern people congregate to that I am aware of. You might just start by figuring out what school appeals to you and then start looking in that district.

Everyone, well almost, is friendly.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:04 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
San Francisco comes to mind....NYC...I haven't "seen" a Chinese Community here anywhere...However, you could probably call any Chinese Restaurant around and they can point you in the right direction...FYI...In Lutz in a place called "Fern Glenn", we wanted to rent a home back in 2007 from Chinese couple and they told our realtor after she showed us the house that they would rather rent that to another Chinese couple rather than us "White Caucasians".....so, I have to venture a guess that there IS a Chinese Community around here, just not as visible as in SF or NYC or CHI...

Old 04-19-2011, 05:31 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,307,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
San Francisco comes to mind....NYC...I haven't "seen" a Chinese Community here anywhere...However, you could probably call any Chinese Restaurant around and they can point you in the right direction...FYI...In Lutz in a place called "Fern Glenn", we wanted to rent a home back in 2007 from Chinese couple and they told our realtor after she showed us the house that they would rather rent that to another Chinese couple rather than us "White Caucasians".....so, I have to venture a guess that there IS a Chinese Community around here, just not as visible as in SF or NYC or CHI...
bull ****. your realtor did not tell you that. It is illegal.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:10 AM

Good to know there are Chinese.
are schools around Tarpon Springs,Palm Harbor, safety harbor and Dunedin Good?

Old 04-19-2011, 09:13 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
Palm Harbor yes, can't speak for Tarpon all tho frankly with so many million dollar homes, there has to be good education over there as well. I heard Dunedin is good, but check our greatschools.net for ratings.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:26 AM

177 posts, read 685,529 times
I found the following website using Google:

[SIZE=4]Chinese-American Association of Tampa Bay[/SIZE]
Chinese-American Association of Tampa Bay

Also I noticed that USF has a Chinese Cultural Center that hosts some events for the community. Their Facebook page says "The USF Chinese Cultural Center is located in the HMS building, room 214. Come watch Chinese dramas, learn caligraphy, learn an instument, play Chinese chess, read books, or come just to hang out and study. Keep He Laoshi and Guanli Jidan company!!"

I also noticed this:
Chinese Cultural Festival

Tuesday, Apr 12 2:00p to 6:00p
at USF Marshall Student Center, Tampa, FL
Price: Free
Phone: (813) 974-3087
Age Suitability: All Ages
Tags: music, crafts, festival, performances, calligraphy, usf, chinese culture
The Second Annual Chinese Festival at USF is a signature event you don't want to miss. Experience authentic Chinese cuisine, games, calligraphy, folklore, arts and crafts, music, performances and much, much more! We invite anyone who wishes to experience China's culture first-hand to attend with free admission and food. Ballrooms A&B

[LEFT]
[/LEFT]

Old 04-19-2011, 09:45 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,516 times
If living near a Chinese population is important, I know there is a little one. I don't think there are a lot though. I couldn't even find a Chinese newspaper in Tampa. I did find the World Journal in Davie, FL. You could call them and they could tell you not only the population in the areas you are looking at, but also tell you how many subscriptions they have in an area. Most of these papers keep track of their possible clientele. Here is the contact information for the World Journal in Davie:
5555 SW 61st Ave.
Davie, FL 33314
Phone:954-583-5898
Fax:954-583-9125

There are several other papers in FL that distribute to the Tampa Bay area, but none that I could find directly in Tampa.

You could also call the Chinese Chamber of Commerce of Tampa Bay Welcome to CCCTB!.

I also have a census map that I use in some of my research that may come in handy. Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com This map can help you narrow down the areas at least. You type in the area you are considering and you can see how many Asians are in that area. You would have to use other resources to narrow it down from there though.

Schools in Palm Harbor are excellent. Most schools in North Pinellas are great though.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:48 AM

Thanks dlhanson,
I find the same, also I find a Chinese Church in clearwater. I did go to greatschools.net and find some good school in palm harbor and Dunedin.(thanks Algia).
is any good Chinese restaurant around palm harbor and Dunedin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay