Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 03:40 PM

30,392 posts, read 21,210,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
NYC in August is a nightmare. Hundreds of times I have come up from the subway, walked east from 6th Ave. When I got to 5th Ave and looked south I usually could not see the top 40 floors of the Empire State Buidling as those floors were lost in the gray haze. The weather people in NYC had to learn one line for summer in NYC. "Hazy, Hot & Humid". That was the daily forecast.

Florida sure gets hot and humid in the summer, but rarely hazy.
You see nice blue sky with bright white clouds going by. Until the afternoon when the sky gets dark for the daily thunderstorm.

Yep, most of us live very normal active lives here.
I see plenty of days the sky is hazy in the Tampa area. Once a upper level high anchors on top of us for days at a time with no rain we get haze since there is no real air flow to mix things up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 03:43 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 939,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlusPlus View Post
I know I could be wrong because I have never lived at Florida. Please tell me your opinion about it. Am I right or not?
How hot is it at St. Petersburg? How is it feels?
Is Miami feels less hot then St Pete or not?
Miami feels hotter. And anywhere in FL feels hotter than just about anywhere else further north. The temps get hotter in places with less humidity, but the relative feel is hotter here; and the sun bakes you a lot more since you're so much further south; and the sun's up longer here than most other places on the east coast (we're at the western edge of the time zone). The breeze depends on where you live (for obvious reasons).

Whether it's "hell" or not depends on you. For me, there are about 3 months that are hotter than I want; and 2 months that are colder than I want. But neither the hot nor cold are that bad. For me, there's nothing here like northeastern winters where I just didn't go outside for months (except to shovel). And I don't think I could deal with MN. But it's all about what you like -- I know plenty of people here who just don't go outside from July-Sept.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:18 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,322 times
Quote:
Florida sure gets hot and humid in the summer, but rarely hazy.
You see nice blue sky with bright white clouds going by. Until the afternoon when the sky gets dark for the daily thunderstorm.
It can get hazy when we dont have rain for a few days.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:49 PM

36 posts, read 64,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
I see plenty of days the sky is hazy in the Tampa area. Once a upper level high anchors on top of us for days at a time with no rain we get haze since there is no real air flow to mix things up.
Yeah but the haze that we get here isn't squat compared to the haze referenced in other big cities. Plus during the summer, the seabreeze is a daily afternoon occurrence. The only exception is if we're in an embedded flow such as high pressure off to the ne that puts the state in an easterly flow. Either way the air is moving daily. We don't get a completely stagnant airmass here for days on end like you do in other cities that have real haze problems.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:54 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
How actually hot it is in St. Petersburg?

Hot is a relative term as some can feel quite comfortable in temps in the mid 90's with high humidity where others get very uncomfortable in temps over 80 with high humidity, high humidity is a given for most of the summer.
I'd say your best option is to visit the area for a week or two in August and see what you think..

Old 04-17-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerdFerguson View Post
Yeah but the haze that we get here isn't squat compared to the haze referenced in other big cities. Plus during the summer, the seabreeze is a daily afternoon occurrence. The only exception is if we're in an embedded flow such as high pressure off to the ne that puts the state in an easterly flow. Either way the air is moving daily. We don't get a completely stagnant airmass here for days on end like you do in other cities that have real haze problems.
I'm talking hazy skies, not LA-Cali kind of haze. We lost or so called normal southeast wind flow pattern well over 20 years ago. Most of the time we are stuck in a reverse west wind flow that i hate so much.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:34 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
It's been YEARS since I saw a hazy sky here. They are really pretty rare. And here in Sarasota where I live, pretty much never I would say.

I went through St. Louis, MO several years ago in July or August and it was 100 degrees and the air was literally BLACK with haze! And the weather man was saying "today is typical for summer here in St. Louis!." OMG, just horrible. There is NOTHING, ever, like that here, ever.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:36 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,118,057 times
Yeah, I am sure you see plenty of hazy days. Also druggies, bums, low lifes, rednecks, shoebox homes, etc in all places but Dana Shores.

Quote:

Old 04-17-2011, 08:52 AM

36 posts, read 64,853 times
Quote:
I'm talking hazy skies, not LA-Cali kind of haze. We lost or so called normal southeast wind flow pattern well over 20 years ago. Most of the time we are stuck in a reverse west wind flow that i hate so much.
What you term as "reverse west wind flow" is in fact normal. I'm not sure why you think we lost some sort of normal southeast wind flow some time ago. The west wind is a seabreeze. The sun heats the air over the land which rises creating a pressure differential between the air over the water and the land. The air over the water rushes in at low level and the air over the land moves towards the water at high level creating a circulation. This is a phenomena that has existed for millions of years in florida. It did not start 20 years ago. A se flow is normal on the east coast of fl as their seabreeze fills in from the atlantic.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I am sure you see plenty of hazy days. Also druggies, bums, low lifes, rednecks, shoebox homes, etc in all places but Dana Shores.
I'm back at home now in Danashores and don't see anymore of that west Pasco trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay