U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 12:55 PM

3 posts, read 4,510 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Tampa soon and as I look at various homes around the Tampa area, I have noticed two things that most homes have in common.

1. Nearly every home that I've searched has either rocks and gravel in the front lawn, or the lawn is just dirt and small sprouts of weed. Why is this? I LOVE my lawn and I love mowing it. When it comes to my lawn, I'm sort of like Hank Hill, gotta have the best on the block. My question is, is it so hard to grow grass that most people just give up?

2. The second thing that I have noticed is that nearly all of the homes I have searched have tile floors. Even in the living rooms (unheard of where I live in the midwest). What's the deal with that?

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 01:11 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,554,966 times
There was a thread recently on the yard issue: //www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...awn-tampa.html

Where are you looking to buy? That could get you some more specific answers.

A lot of homes here have tile or wood throughout. I am not sure if it is because it is easier to clean than carpet, or if it is because it helps keep the house feeling cooler in the summer. I do know some people who installed carpet in the bedrooms for a cozier feel.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:25 PM

1,136 posts, read 2,638,290 times
Tile floors are wonderful IMHO. We moved to Tampa from MI Detroit burb where we had some wood, carpet and linoleum.
The tile is easy care, can use area rugs to soften seating areas. And area rugs are easier to replace or remove to redecorate. Bedrooms in our home have carpet, nice to wake up too. A lot of neighbors are installing wood, but I fear they will eventually either have a lot of scratches from the constant sand in the dirt or termites.

The grass is an issue depending on the type of neighborhood you move to. HOA subdivisions w high costs usually have nicer lawns... We moved to an average area where 1/3 of homeshave very little grass, the homes w nice lawns really stand out. Have been researching grasses, will be purchasing zoysia when we replace our lawn. One neighbor relandscaped w new sod grass=$10.000. We DYI...

Good luck with your move. BTY Getting a license here is at the "Drivers License Office" ours was at shopping mall at SR 60 at Falkenburg. (We had trouble finding it )

Old 04-29-2011, 01:33 PM

494 posts, read 1,506,701 times
It doesn't take much of a slip up with grass for the weeds to get a grip. Takes a lot of treatment to have excellent grass. Then it can still quickly get damaged from dryness, bugs, over or under treatment, mowing stress or improper watering. Cost of water and water restrictions come into play too. It is nice looking tho, not always comfy to walk on. IMHO not really meant to be. The weeds are far more natural.

Tile holds up pretty well and handles sand better than wood. It can sometimes flood and survive.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:12 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,053,528 times
We have a decent enough lawn - i'm not sure if that's because the owners put that much work into it or what but we do keep up on it. Brandon doesnt have restrictions on watering, so we water once a week and keeps it nice and lush.

I thought it was weird with the tile/wood throughout the house, but I guess that's common. They have carpet only in the bedrooms (and its dingy shag carpet at that, but we just rent here)

Old 04-29-2011, 05:35 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,206,485 times
Tile because it keeps the place cool

The yard can have multiple reasons for looking like crap....older owners, weeds etc, you can always rent that machine from HD, rip it out and put your own brand new lawn! But frankly, I don't know what areas you're looking at as where we live thanks to the HOAs, all the lawns look good. Now if you're looking in non HOA areas then it is understandable....

If it were me, gravel would be awesome, I hate lawns wth a passion. LOL

Old 04-30-2011, 05:25 PM

17,668 posts, read 11,555,788 times
It's not worth fooling with a lawn. With no rainfall for weeks or months at a time and all the bugs it is just not worth the price to keep a nice lawn.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:38 PM

6,699 posts, read 7,309,783 times
Lawns that have rocks instead of grass I would be hesitant to purchase! Trying to get a good lawncare company ( one that shows up ) can be tricky!!

Old 05-01-2011, 04:26 AM

2,637 posts, read 11,550,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Crane KC View Post
I will be moving to Tampa soon and as I look at various homes around the Tampa area, I have noticed two things that most homes have in common.

1. Nearly every home that I've searched has either rocks and gravel in the front lawn, or the lawn is just dirt and small sprouts of weed. Why is this? I LOVE my lawn and I love mowing it. When it comes to my lawn, I'm sort of like Hank Hill, gotta have the best on the block. My question is, is it so hard to grow grass that most people just give up?
During the dry season, most of our commonly grown lawn types go dormant and often appear completely dead. When it starts raining a lot, they wake up, start trying to take over the world, and need to be cut three times a week. Keeping a lawn green during the dry season is expensive and it is a huge waste of water. Our soil is mostly sand with very little water holding capability and little nutrients. So to keep a lawn lush and green you have to give it lots of water and fertilizer. The sand can't hold onto it, so it washes into our waterways - the creeks and canals and rivers, the bay and gulf, and changes the water from the clear beauty I remember from my childhood to the ugly muck we have today. All in the name of green lawns.

I do understand that a lawn is psychologically important to many people, especially transplants. If you must have one, really think about how much of your property you want to devote to it. You can minimize the lawn to a show area in front, or a play area in the back for your dogs or kids or whatever. Gardening here can be really amazing if you can move beyond trying to recreate whatever you had up north and embrace what is possible here.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:22 PM

39 posts, read 71,097 times
No offense to anyone on this board, but I have always found tile throughout the house to be immensely tacky. Tile if fine for a bathroom, possibly a kitchen. But the whole house? Unless it's a very antique European or otherwise hiigh-end tile, it looks tasteless. And nowadays it is a quite outdated look. Everyone wants wood. I say this as a FLORIDA NATIVE who grew up with tile throughout the house and as someone who currently has tile. I plan to replace it first chance I get. Wood floors are perfectly cool enough in summer here, and in the winter, tile is a nightmare to walk on.

Regarding the lawn, I got rid of mine. Best thing I ever did. Yes I miss it, I love being able to walk on grass, but not on St. Augustine or other Fla. grasses that hurt your feet. I loved to walk on fescue when I lived in Virginia. But since I dislike the Florida grasses, I got rid of it to spare myself the headache of high water bills, high pest control bills, high mowing bills, high sprinkler repair bills, etc. I put in a Florida native yard and it has a very Florida forest/hammock feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or