Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2011, 01:41 PM

8 posts, read 22,986 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Tampa this summer for a teaching position at the University of Tampa and I have some questions about Tampa life:

1) I'd like to rent somewhat close to work, within walking distance or a short drive? What are the best areas that are close restaurants, bars, coffee shops, but also within walking distance or a short drive to UT?

2) I'm a 29 yr old single female. What are areas to absolutely avoid living? (I may live with a roommate to cut costs.)

3) Is Tampa a decent place for black singles to date? Why/why not?

4) In terms of diversity, what are your thoughts about Tampa? Is it racially tolerant? Do people have diverse sets of friends or is it pretty segregated? (I live in Dayton right now and it's VERY segregated.)

5) Along those same lines, are there good hair shops for braids and relaxers?

6) What suggestions do you have for meeting young professionals around my age?

7) What would you say is the best thing about Tampa? The worst?

8) I went to UCF for undergrad. For comparison sake, what would you say are the biggest differences between Orlando and Tampa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 03:32 PM

1,479 posts, read 5,071,707 times
1) Downtown might have some places to rent. Your best bet is Hyde Park. As a general rule (with many exceptions) you will want to stay south of Kennedy Blvd. There are some places around Westshore as well - that's more of a drive. The immediate vicinity to the east (downtown) and south of UT is where you want to focus.

2) It's a big generalization, but north of Kennedy, north of downtown, and the little stretch between downtown and Ybor should be avoided. Nebraska Ave. is synonymous with crack dealers and tranny hookers. Find that on a map (it runs north/south) and stay away from it.

3) I'm not black so I'd be talking out of my arse if I tried to speculate. If you only date other black people then I guess you're dating pool is much smaller, but what do I know? I saw Ronde Barber out at a club once and even the men swooned a little. Maybe you can bag him.

4) Tampa is fairly integrated and tolerant, especially compared to Dayton. Not so much in St. Petersburg, oddly enough. I think you'll be pleased in that regard.

5) My wife is Puerto Rican and has dark, kinky hair, so I can actually comment on this. We're in St. Pete now and she always complains about the good salons being in Tampa.

6) Join a social club or something, I guess. Tampa Emerge is the young professionals association, though I'm not a member. I've just heard about it. Just go out a lot. Meeting people is pretty easy here.

7) The best thing: Cuban sandwiches. The worst: republicans.

8) Here's a thread comparing the two cities: //www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-vs-tampa.html

Good luck. I hope your move goes smoothly.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:18 PM

8 posts, read 22,986 times
Thank you so much, Eastern Roamer. Your responses have been extremely helpful. I was beginning to worry a bit that NO ONE was answering, while the guy with the post about green lawns has a zillion replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
1) Downtown might have some places to rent. Your best bet is Hyde Park. As a general rule (with many exceptions) you will want to stay south of Kennedy Blvd. There are some places around Westshore as well - that's more of a drive. The immediate vicinity to the east (downtown) and south of UT is where you want to focus.

2) It's a big generalization, but north of Kennedy, north of downtown, and the little stretch between downtown and Ybor should be avoided. Nebraska Ave. is synonymous with crack dealers and tranny hookers. Find that on a map (it runs north/south) and stay away from it.

3) I'm not black so I'd be talking out of my arse if I tried to speculate. If you only date other black people then I guess you're dating pool is much smaller, but what do I know? I saw Ronde Barber out at a club once and even the men swooned a little. Maybe you can bag him.

4) Tampa is fairly integrated and tolerant, especially compared to Dayton. Not so much in St. Petersburg, oddly enough. I think you'll be pleased in that regard.

5) My wife is Puerto Rican and has dark, kinky hair, so I can actually comment on this. We're in St. Pete now and she always complains about the good salons being in Tampa.

6) Join a social club or something, I guess. Tampa Emerge is the young professionals association, though I'm not a member. I've just heard about it. Just go out a lot. Meeting people is pretty easy here.

7) The best thing: Cuban sandwiches. The worst: republicans.

8) Here's a thread comparing the two cities: //www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-vs-tampa.html

Good luck. I hope your move goes smoothly.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 4,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelyi82 View Post
8) I went to UCF for undergrad. For comparison sake, what would you say are the biggest differences between Orlando and Tampa?
I was 30 years in Orlando and now 2 in Tampa ,I picked Ybor City,low taxes,decent priced houses,no traffic,I can walk to clubs,entertainment,restaurants of all calibers,take the street car into downtown Tampa if I choose.My property taxes here $460 my other house in Orlando $2800. Utilities cheaper,my fuel costs have dropped over $600 per month,not spending hours in traffic or forced into toll roads etc. etc.etc.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:04 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,295,062 times
The area near UT is mostly nice, just take your pick. Like said, say SOUTH of Kennedy. There is some ghetto North of Kennedy, especially in the area of N. Blvd and Rome Ave, gets worse N of Lois.

I have no idea about your "black" or hair questions. The worst areas are everything North of Kennedy Blvd, East of MacDill Ave, West of I-75, South of Bearss Ave. Especially anything East of North Blvd.

You being black, may not mind some of these areas, but they are hood.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:07 AM

1,479 posts, read 5,071,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelyi82 View Post
Thank you so much, Eastern Roamer. Your responses have been extremely helpful. I was beginning to worry a bit that NO ONE was answering, while the guy with the post about green lawns has a zillion replies.
You're welcome. The best way to show your appreciation is to click on the scale icon in the upper right corner of the comment box, or on the little plus sign at the bottom. "[+] Rate this post positively".

Some of us loosers who can't stay away from this dang website like to collect reputation points. It's addicting - stay away!!!! JK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay