Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2011, 04:57 PM

10 posts, read 91,618 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a vacation property in Clearwater or Treasure Island area that I can use as needed and rent out when I am not there. I would like to buy a condo but many do not allow weekly rentals. I am not considering condo hotels at this point because I am not sure I can make a profit on these because of the revenue sharing agreements and expensive fees. I would consider a town house or home but I want to ensure there are good property management companies out there. Does anyone out there have experience renting out vacation properties? If so can you give me some advice on the route you took and how it is working out.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 06:11 AM

494 posts, read 1,675,407 times
The rental market is a bit messy right now.

If you are paying cash and look at it as an equity investment over 10-15 years ... might work if home prices improve.

If you hope to positively cash flow a purchase I'd be cautious. Especially if you have to hire somebody for everything. You might want to add up insurance, property taxes, lawn care and add a couple grand for misc. expenses. Estimate what you need to rent. I doubt you will like the answer. Insurance near the beaches can eat you up if nothing else does. You sure you want to worry about hurricanes?

Not trying to sound negative, just be careful.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:13 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,077,659 times
I own, manage and sell vacation rental properties on gulf coast - Indian Shores/Indian Rocks specifically. It is a good idea, if you can afford to pay cash for them. You will not rent out a condo enough to pay for tax/ins/mortgage and interest. Decent property managers are essential if you are not in town. There are plenty of folks out there renting out condos, taking a large commission and not caring it is rented or not and too busy to really keep on top of enquiries. I have learned from renting my own for almost 20 years now, that if you are not on top of rentals, someone else will get them. Also people are very discerning and know there is plenty to choose from, so you need to run a good rental if you want guests who will treat it well. there are a lot of 7 day or less rental buildings, but not in Sand Key area of Clearwater, some cities are very specific about rentals. I would avoid condotels like the plague.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay