Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 04:41 PM

41 posts, read 190,969 times

Advertisements

Thinking of relocating to Florida from NYC. Tired of the hustle and bustle of NYC. I have four children ages 4 months, 6 year, 11 year and 13 year who go to catholic school at present. They are honor roll children, very smart. We are looking for great public school school system from preschool to high school. Nice family oriented area, easy commute to work, shops and kids entertainment. We want to purchase a home our budget is 175k tops. We don't want to move from this ghetto to another. School system is very important to us, but we will be unable to pay for private school if we move. Thank you for all your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 07:19 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,656,806 times
Good luck finding a public school that would come close to the education in NYC. We moved from NJ (Bergen County) to Tampa and I found the schools are at least 1 1/2 years behind. My kids are now in middle and high school. Both are in all honors and getting all A's. My kids are smart, but not WOW smart. My 6th grader hardly ever gets homework. I don't think they is getting a great education here. We live in a more upscale area of Tampa (Tampa Palms) and the middle schools are considered A rated. I would suggest going to a website www.greatschools.net. Do some research to find the best schools in the area.

Even if you sent your kid to private, does not always mean better education either. My kids went to a charter school in Lutz (Learning Gate Community School). It has it's issues, but they were getting a better education there.

Good luck! I hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:44 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,142,671 times
Anyone who thinks NYC is providing good education is misinformed.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:49 PM

769 posts, read 2,051,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Lol because the education in FL is so much better?

You have no idea what you're talking about. Public schools in NYC consistently rank amongst the best public schools in the country. And there is no doubt that Florida is at least 1-2 years behind. My brother and I experienced this first hand when our mother moved down here. When I have kids I'm sending them to the best private school I can afford. If we're still in Wesley Chapel it will probably be Academy at the Lakes.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:52 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,324,022 times
Maybe all you NY/NJ lovers should move back, thanks.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:56 PM

769 posts, read 2,051,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Maybe all you NY/NJ lovers should move back, thanks.
That's rude. I'm not on here praising everything about NY, but there is no doubt that the education in public schools there is much better than it is here. People should just accept it because it's the truth. FL wins in many other categories such as weather and cost of living, but the education here is simply nothing to be proud of.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:35 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,306,789 times
What exactly to You know? you don't even have kids!

1. I wouldn't call NYC ghetto and if the school they go to now is excellent, it WOULD be a BIG mistake to come down here.

There is no public transit here BTW that comes close to NYC.
"Hustle & Bustle" meaning areal city? take a trip down here first.

2. If I lived in NYC, NOTHING would convince me to move down here, we are on our way OUT because of poor education. This State does not VALUE education in any way shape or form, they cut 63 million dollars from Pinnellas County...and are not done yet.

3. Your choice WOULD be private school if you want to come close to NYC.

Quote:

Old 05-04-2011, 04:15 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,656,806 times
Quote:
I am probably more informed that you. I grew up in NYC, I have a friend who is a retired teacher for a "ghetto" are in NYC, my sister currently has 2 kids in public school in NYC. She tells me how much they are expected to do in kindergarten on up. Her 3rd grader does way way more than my 6th grader in all honors classes!

NYC is providing a much better education for their children than Florida.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:27 PM

First of all, when did YOU live in NYC? And where?

When was the last time you were there? I was there again in Feb 2011.
I have been there at least 20 times since I moved to FL for business, pleasure, weddings and funerals. I still have friends who live in NYC and are dying to get out. Most of them got out years ago and moved upstate, to Long Island or New Jersey.

You think you know NYC transit? Ha!. I am an expert on the NYC subway. I collect NYC Subway. I know more about the NYC subway than you can imagine. I mean from the day it started up until today. It's one of my hobbies. If you look at my Ebay listings you will see that in the past year I have sold more than 1,000 pieces of NYC subway items. Just the past couple of weeks and still active now I have over 50 NYC subway books.

The NYC subways are better than they were in the 1970's-1990's but are still filthy, rat infested, crime ridden, and crummy. When was the last time you were in "the hole"? I was in February 2011. In a lot of neighborhoods, more people get on the bus through the back door or simply walk on without paying than those that do pay.

I provide you with links to NYC Subway crime below.

You are talking to the wrong guy when it comes to NYC subways.

NYC is a big ghetto. Until you lived there, don't tell anyone else otherwise as they will laugh you down. Yeah, there are some "nicer" areas, Ditmas Park, Brooklyn, Forest Hills Queens, Dyker Heights, Brooklyn, the Upper East Side of Manhattan, Howard Beach, Queens, Throggs Neck in the Bronx, a few areas of Staten Island. They are isolated pockets of nice. However, crime is rampant in all of them and neither you or I would be able to afford to live in those areas.

You know nothing about NYC schools. I attended them. My wife attended them. You wouldn't last 10 minutes in Erasmus Hall High School, the oldest high school in the United States from which I graduated.
I have 6 nieces and nephews who have attended and their kids attend NYC schools. Most of the schools are riddled with crime and violence. You think the FL budget cuts were bad, try these links.

Budget Cuts in NYC Schools

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...ion&id=7348665

Andrew Cuomo Budget Cuts Could Cost New York City $1 Billion

New York Subway Safety - accidents, crashes, suicides and deaths

Recent Subway Crime Stories | 7online.com

New York School Crime Up 21 Percent in First Third of Fiscal Year - New York Times

Nothing could ever get me to live in NYC again. Nothing. Neighborhoods that were fairly decent 10 years ago have turned into ghettos. Ghettos like Bushwick, Crown Heights, Mott Haven, Morrisania, Flatbush, East Flatbush, Bedford-Styvesant, and many more that have been ghettos for decades are horrible places to be in much less live in. I know a public housing development in Brooklyn (The Louis Pink Houses - Goggle it) where cops don't even go in.

When was the last time you took a stroll through Flatbush Brooklyn?
Mott Haven in the Bronx? Jamaica in Queens?

I grew up and lived in NYC for 30 years. I know NYC like the back of my hand. From Coney Island to Yonkers (which is in Westchester County).

You think 63 Million dollars is a big cut in a school budget? How about
over 1 BILLION dollars plus as in NYC.

You are barking at the wrong dog when it comes to New York City.

I dare you to answer my questions as to WHEN you lived there and WHERE.

Tell me what YOU know about NYC schools.

Tell me what you know about NYC in general.

Now, that is EXACTLY what I know.

There is a huge difference between being a tourist in NYC and actually had/have lived there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
What exactly to You know? you don't even have kids!

1. I wouldn't call NYC ghetto and if the school they go to now is excellent, it WOULD be a BIG mistake to come down here.

There is no public transit here BTW that comes close to NYC.
"Hustle & Bustle" meaning areal city? take a trip down here first.

2. If I lived in NYC, NOTHING would convince me to move down here, we are on our way OUT because of poor education. This State does not VALUE education in any way shape or form, they cut 63 million dollars from Pinnellas County...and are not done yet.

3. Your choice WOULD be private school if you want to come close to NYC.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:39 PM

Nearly 40 percent of NYC High School students DO NOT graduate.
In 2008 it was about 55 percent.

Study shows New York City has one of the nation's sorriest graduation rates - New York Daily News

So, where is this "much better" education?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
I am probably more informed that you. I grew up in NYC, I have a friend who is a retired teacher for a "ghetto" are in NYC, my sister currently has 2 kids in public school in NYC. She tells me how much they are expected to do in kindergarten on up. Her 3rd grader does way way more than my 6th grader in all honors classes!

NYC is providing a much better education for their children than Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay