Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2011, 03:36 PM

21 posts, read 84,732 times

Advertisements

I am graduating in two weeks with a bachelors degree in Finance from the University at Buffalo and I really want to move to the area and out of Buffalo but all my applications on careerbuilder and monster are not turing any results.

I've heard tips such as getting a P.O. Box in the area to put on my resume but is there anything you suggest that would help finding interviews in the Tampa area??

Any suggestions or advice would be of great assistance. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 03:52 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,294,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wydrew9 View Post
I am graduating in two weeks with a bachelors degree in Finance from the University at Buffalo and I really want to move to the area and out of Buffalo but all my applications on careerbuilder and monster are not turing any results.

I've heard tips such as getting a P.O. Box in the area to put on my resume but is there anything you suggest that would help finding interviews in the Tampa area??

Any suggestions or advice would be of great assistance. Thanks.
get a PO box and a local # for your resume.

Do job searches at indeed.com

find a job you want, follow the link to the company website.

apply directly to the job requisition.

monster and careerbuilder are a joke. in this economy you have to be proactive, especially in a field like finance, especially with no work experience. recruiters arent going to find you, you have to find them.

make sure you adjust your resume just a bit, catering it to the job description, without lying of course.

good luck.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:26 PM

769 posts, read 2,043,962 times
What kind of job are you looking for? The problem is that most companies do not hire finance staff with no experience. A lot of ny friends that graduated with finance jobs ended up taking sales jobs or becoming insurance agents. Maybe you can get a low level accounting position in payroll, A/P, etc- but even for those sometimes they want accounting degrees.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:19 PM

121 posts, read 384,055 times
Statewide Job Fair
Thursday, May 12, 10am-3pm,
University of Central Florida Arena, Orlando, FL

I work at an investment firm, but I like to remain anonymous. Progressive Insurance is expanding in Tampa and Chase bank is also planning to expand its branches in Florida soon also. Bank of Tampa is looking for a teller I believe. You need to apply directly to each company website, instead of monster.com.

Last edited by starwins; 05-02-2011 at 11:40 PM..

Old 05-03-2011, 07:38 AM

463 posts, read 1,048,187 times
Dropping your resume in monster or any other job site won't do anything to your chances, unless it's a loaded resume with 20+ years of experience. As other mentioned you need to apply directly for the positions open on companies' websites. Getting PO box is smart, however in the cover letter you can mention that you ar in process of relocating to Tampa, but no address yet. As long as company won't have to fly you in/pay relocation costs, they should be find giving you a shot even if you have a NE address.

Good luck

Old 05-04-2011, 10:16 AM

21 posts, read 84,732 times
Thank you everyone for your suggestions, all were very helpful

As far as experience goes, I have been working at a credit union starting in high school and through college so total I have been in the banking industry for 5 years and just got promoted from MSR (Teller) to Head Teller/Lending so I have some more experience with managing people and lending skills.

I hope that experience can set me a little apart from graduates with no experience at all. Any other suggestions at all such as companies or tips on landing local jobs would be great.

Thanks

Old 05-04-2011, 06:48 PM

769 posts, read 2,043,962 times
You should be applying for job directly at banks and credit unions, but honestly you need to wait until you are done with school. With the way the job market is right now, no one is going to wait for you to graduate for a relatively low wage job at a bank or in an accounting department. Also, keep in mind that at that level no one will pay for your flights for interviews or relocation expenses. Make it clear that you do not expect that since some employers will ignore you if they think you are expecting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay