Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 03:12 PM

28 posts, read 60,858 times

Advertisements

Hi! My fiance and I will be moving to Florida next June after we get married and we are wondering which cities in Florida you would recommend us moving to based upon our "requirements" listed below:
- not too much crime however, we do live in Lansing, Michigan, so crime isn't out of the ordinary for us but we would prefer to live somewhere safer.
- within 5 miles or so of a nice beach
-good schools
-we are in our twenties so we would prefer an area that has a decent amount of younger people in the area
-lots of fun things to do
-nice single family homes under approximately $400,000
-not too much traffic
I know there may not be a city that matches exactly each one of these things, but somewhere similar to these requirements would be much appreciated! We love the hot weather, nevermind the hurricanes, snakes, alligators, etc. Also, we have been taking a vacation every year to Clearwater Beach and loved it, but I have no idea what it is like living there year round. Could you please list specific areas in these cities you would recommend us moving to.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 05:42 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,077,659 times
You may find a nice home in Old North East, (st pete)good for walking downtown, lively and lots going on but if you are thinking schools down the road, and are notplanning on paying for private, you might not want to be there, zoned schools are not good.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:53 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
You should find jobs first and let those city(ies) go to the front of the list.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:50 PM

28 posts, read 60,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
You should find jobs first and let those city(ies) go to the front of the list.
The job part is not my top priority at this moment, seeing as though my fiance and I will be continuing college full-time. We have all finances covered, once we graduate is when we will focus on where we should move for employment. We want to put all of our focus into our education which is why I would like an area that has good colleges, and also good high schools just incase we decide to stay in the same city long-term. I just want to know which city we should move to based only on the requirements I listed in my first post.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:18 AM

121 posts, read 385,531 times
Most likely St. Pete has most of what you are looking for.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
As getting jobs in Florida is tough at the moment you may not have the luxury of picking a city to move to, whatever city gives you employment is probably the one you need to move to.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:37 AM

494 posts, read 1,675,407 times
Orlando

Old 05-06-2011, 06:39 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As getting jobs in Florida is tough at the moment you may not have the luxury of picking a city to move to, whatever city gives you employment is probably the one you need to move to.
This ^^^.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:54 AM

463 posts, read 1,052,446 times
Well lets see:
5 miles form beach and young people, yea that does not really exist in Tampa.
Good colleges are far away form the beach (USF and UT).
There is quite a bit of traffic if you want to move from one side of the city to another.
Jobs ... Well depends on what you do. There are jobs out there, but it might not match of what you are looking for.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:01 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 939,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
You may find a nice home in Old North East, (st pete)good for walking downtown, lively and lots going on but if you are thinking schools down the road, and are notplanning on paying for private, you might not want to be there, zoned schools are not good.
The school ratings for the Old Northeast are very inconsistent over time. I'm not sure if that's the result of zoning changes or what, but the one constant seems to be that race is highly correlated to FCAT passage rates. Considering the racial (and socio-economic) composition of the neighborhoods serviced by the schools, I expect that kids from the Old NE easily pass FCATs at a clip that would merit an "A" rating by the state, and the school ratings are dragged down by kids from other neighborhoods. Overall rating and school reputation is something I would be much more worried about at the high school level than elementary/middle -- though St. Pete High is rated "A" by the state and 8/10 by greatschools. Thankfully, I'm many years from worrying about high schools.

To the OP's other requirements, St. Pete could be a decent fit. Traffic in town is nothing. Outside of town, things can get a little congested, particularly at rush hour (Pinellas county is basically all suburban sprawl). It's 10 miles to a gulf beach, not 5, but there's also a small-but-active beach in town on the bay. I'm not sure there are as many young people as the OP would want, though. Downtown is vibrant, and there are a bunch of festivals and things going on all the time. Nightlife's fun Thurs/Fri/Sat. But it'd be a big change from something like 50k undergrads running around at Michigan State. We (married, late 20s, no kids yet) find it's a great speed for us. Not sure I'd have felt the same way when I was 21 or 22, but I was also single back then.

On that note, not specifically on the requirements list, but it sounds like the plan is to transfer to a college after the move. I don't think the college options anywhere in the bay area are very good. I'm aware of three colleges in St. Pete -- USF-St. Pete (which I think has limited curricula offerings), Eckerd College, and St. Pete College (which I understand was a community college until recently). I'd never heard of any of them before moving here. Of course, the OP is talking about a $400k house straight out of undergrad and is uninterested in job markets, so which school they attend may not matter.

The other neighborhood in the bay area to consider is South Tampa. There are more early-20-somethings there, and there's plenty to do. It's much farther from the beach (45ish minutes) and single family homes are more expensive, though you could find a nicely updated smaller house in your price range. The public schools are consistently very good. In terms of colleges, U Tampa is right there, and USF is on the other side of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay