Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 04:18 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,282,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
Statistics are from the National Educators Association. I can't post a link right now but will do so later- I'm on my phone. FL spends $10,593 per student which is 41 on the list. Vermont is the highest at $21,379.
Thank you for backing up my argument. If they charged more for university tuition instead of literally giving it away, they could afford to spread the money around on K-12 education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 04:21 PM

769 posts, read 2,050,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
The first private school I could think of, The University of Tampa, costs about $23,000 a year for tuition. Florida charges about $4-5k, depending on the school.

You must have been educated in a public school.
Nope I went to a private university. I was speaking on my knowledge of the graduate tuition rates, which are around $370 a credit. If they tripled undergrad tuition it would still be close to some private universities. But yes, they should spend more on K-12 and charge more for college.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:24 PM

538 posts, read 731,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Maybe, but he/she quoted me in the response. This class size thing was an issue when I went to school in NYC back in the 1970's. We had 35 kids in a class, every class, all the time.
oops! Didn't notice that.

Back in the 60s, we had 50-60 class size...and we received a good education.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:31 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,222,436 times
Interesting article. In a nutshell it says CEOs love the business climate of Florida but are extremely hesitant about the lack of investment in public education.

Florida high in CEO business poll, but public schools still suffer poor perception - St. Petersburg Times

Hello? Reality is calling.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:33 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,123,127 times
What is the difference how many kids in the class? If they are all paying attention to the teacher, they will learn. In college you go to huge auditoriums for lectures. Everybody who is paying attention is learning something.

Quote:
Do you have kids in public schools with 40+ students in their classes? My high school was like that and I can assure you that very little learning occurred. Increasing the class size is not going to make an already mediocre public education system any better. The people that are in support of this either don't have children or they send them to private schools so they don't care.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:37 PM

769 posts, read 2,050,735 times
Quote:
What is the difference how many kids in the class? If they are all paying attention to the teacher, they will learn. In college you go to huge auditoriums for lectures. Everybody who is paying attention is learning something.
College students choose to go to class so they will pay attention. When you have over 40 children in a high school classroom designed to fit 30, half of whom don't want to be there, they get loud and roudy. It was hard for teachers to control the class.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:37 PM

Perception vs. Reality are two different things. What one perceives vs what is factual are not the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Interesting article. In a nutshell it says CEOs love the business climate of Florida but are extremely hesitant about the lack of investment in public education.

Florida high in CEO business poll, but public schools still suffer poor perception - St. Petersburg Times

Hello? Reality is calling.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:40 PM

The teachers I grew up with didn't have any problem controlling their classes. They had authority and displayed it well. If you got loud and rowdy
you got tossed out of the classroom for a trip to the dean's office for some remedial attention. Worked well.

Quote:
College students choose to go to class so they will pay attention. When you have over 40 children in a high school classroom designed to fit 30, half of whom don't want to be there, they get loud and roudy. It was hard for teachers to control the class.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:38 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,222,436 times
Quote:
Perception vs. Reality are two different things. What one perceives vs what is factual are not the same.
Doesn't matter. I once had a bad experience in Miami. I now perceive that Miami is a horrible city and will never return. Is it factually a horrible city? Probably not, but perception becomes reality no matter what the facts. Are Florida public schools better than they were? Maybe, maybe not, but after decades of poor performance and the legislature's zeal to defund them , the perception among many is they're not and that the state doesn't really care.

Seriously, if you were just starting out, would you ever even consider for a moment of being a teacher in Florida? I know I wouldn't-not now.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:37 PM

Under your thinking, if you had a lousy meal at a well known highly rated restaurant, you'd never go there again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Doesn't matter. I once had a bad experience in Miami. I now perceive that Miami is a horrible city and will never return. Is it factually a horrible city? Probably not, but perception becomes reality no matter what the facts. Are Florida public schools better than they were? Maybe, maybe not, but after decades of poor performance and the legislature's zeal to defund them , the perception among many is they're not and that the state doesn't really care.

Seriously, if you were just starting out, would you ever even consider for a moment of being a teacher in Florida? I know I wouldn't-not now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay