Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 11:35 AM

51 posts, read 167,403 times

Advertisements

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I'm considering moving down from Denver to Florida. So far the Tampa Bay area (specifically St. Pete) has appealed to me the most. Where are the best places to live in St. Pete for a young 23 yr old college grad? Downtown seemed really nice. Just want to make sure there aren't any other areas of the city that might be just as great for my demographics. Any particular apartment complexes that come to mind?

Also, I didn't know that St. Pete was so high on the crime list, is that much of a concern or not really? Or does it just depend on where you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 11:46 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Hint: if the road/street/ave/blvd has a "S" in front of it (as in South), run like the wind...

Old 05-13-2011, 12:00 PM

What about The Sage? Seems really nice. It's located in "lively Downtown St. Petersburg where 4th Avenue South and 4th Street South connect."

The Sage

Old 05-13-2011, 01:38 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,084,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Hint: if the road/street/ave/blvd has a "S" in front of it (as in South), run like the wind...
That might be a bit extreme, but not all wrong. If the street or ave. is two digits and has an "S" then run like the wind. (The streets and avenues are numbered.)

Seriously though, the high crime is pretty contained in south St. Pete. It's not a dangerous city by any means. You might find some cheap apartments around USF, which is a couple of avenues south. If you're looking for the historic charm but can't afford the Old Northeast, check out the area known as mid-town which is on the other side of 4th street starting around 7th ave. N.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:00 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Downtown is by far the liveliest area of St. Pete. Anyone (of any age) who wants to be close to the "action" should live right downtown. I don't live in St. Pete myself, but we visit a lot. Downtown is great.

Good luck to you!

P.S. Most of the crime is in the poor neighborhoods just south of downtown, I think they refer to it as "midtown." Stay right downtown and just north and you will be fine.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:58 PM

Thanks, I'll need to come visit soon for the first time and see everything for myself. Any comments on The Sage or Fusion 1560 (their location and amenities vs one another, etc.) Or other apartment ideas?

Old 05-16-2011, 03:20 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 940,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablueg35 View Post
Any comments on The Sage or Fusion 1560 (their location and amenities vs one another, etc.) Or other apartment ideas?
Not in the rental market, but I can help you with location. The best part of downtown is within a couple blocks of Beach Dr between 5th Ave NE and Central and Central between the bay and about 4th St. This is not a big area, and you want to be within walking distance of it.

Sage is a good location; just a couple blocks to bars on Central. You'll read a lot here about "south St. Pete." Sage is just about the edge of how far south/southwest I'd live downtown; I'm absolutely not a risk taker. Fusion is an OK location: you'd have a 20 minute stumble home from there, and not through the best neighborhood -- I don't think it's dangerous, but I wouldn't be happy with my wife taking that walk alone at night. On the plus side, there are some bars/restaurants near Fusion, so it's not like you'd have to walk all the way to downtown if you just wanted to grab a bite/beer. Or you could get a beach cruiser.... You'd also be right next to the Trop (not sure if that's a good thing). Generally, I'd aim for the intersection of Central and 2nd St, right in the thick of things.

Another option is the Old Northeast, and there are a number of young professionals renting within a few blocks of the Old Northeast Tavern (corner of 7th Ave NE and 2nd St NE). That's walkable to everything and plenty safe. Generally, north of downtown, I'd stay east of 4th St; preferably east of 1st St. Lots of for rent by owner signs for when you visit, and it seems like Terrier Properties owns a bunch of the small apt buildings that dot the Old NE.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:36 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBI View Post
Sage is a good location; just a couple blocks to bars on Central. You'll read a lot here about "south St. Pete." Sage is just about the edge of how far south/southwest I'd live downtown; I'm absolutely not a risk taker. Fusion is an OK location: you'd have a 20 minute stumble home from there, and not through the best neighborhood -- I don't think it's dangerous, but I wouldn't be happy with my wife taking that walk alone at night. On the plus side, there are some bars/restaurants near Fusion, so it's not like you'd have to walk all the way to downtown if you just wanted to grab a bite/beer. Or you could get a beach cruiser.... You'd also be right next to the Trop (not sure if that's a good thing). Generally, I'd aim for the intersection of Central and 2nd St, right in the thick of things.
Fusion's neighborhood is fine, with the exception of traffic and crowds at Tropicana Field. After all, it's literally across the street from the police station. I mentioned this in one other thread, but the only time you'll see characters is at the Sunoco and the liquor store at Central/16th, though the liquor store is supposed to get demolished soon (which is a shame, because it's a beautiful building).

People say that you should avoid everything south of Central until you hit Pinellas Point, but in my opinion, the few blocks between Central and 175 are pretty safe. Maybe a little rundown, but the streets are fairly quiet at night. So, in short, the only "bad"/shaky area south of Central is, in my opinion, the box bordered by 4th Street, 54th Avenue South, 49th Street, and Interstate 175.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:44 PM

39 posts, read 174,781 times
In my opinion (also supported by crime statistics) the box bordered by 4th Street South, 54th Avenue South, Boyd Hill Nature Park and 34th St South is one the least shaky areas of St Pete. Those who state otherwise, in my opinion, are very wrong. Don't discount South St Pete because it really is a great place to live. Hundreds of us have chosen this area to live for a reason.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:59 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaDerby View Post
In my opinion (also supported by crime statistics) the box bordered by 4th Street South, 54th Avenue South, Boyd Hill Nature Park and 34th St South is one the least shaky areas of St Pete. Those who state otherwise, in my opinion, are very wrong. Don't discount South St Pete because it really is a great place to live. Hundreds of us have chosen this area to live for a reason.
Sorry if my post came off that way. That is a nice area and I did not intentionally try to discount it. 26th Avenue South is a better demarcation line for sketchy South St. Pete and regular South St. Pete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: