Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 08:12 PM

27 posts, read 98,227 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We have been researching all of the threads in this forum, very handy information regarding SP and neighborhoods.

In June we'll be making the trip down to house hunt and we *think* we are going to focus on the Old NE part of town.

It seems since we're coming to Florida and it's going to be hot a better portion of the year, we should get a house with a pool, no?
The city seems to have some amazing parks with pools, and I'd love to take the kids (twins, 2 years old) there, but there's something about having your own pool in your backyard.

So if you were house hunting and had a family and could afford it--would a pool be high on your list or would you just frequent the city pools?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 08:47 PM

769 posts, read 2,043,708 times
If you can afford not only the higher purchase price with the pool but also the ongoing maintenance, then go for it. I personally would not use a public pool.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:52 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,597,780 times
I would say pool but make sure you take extra safety precautions with twins!!

Old 05-19-2011, 03:29 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,002,522 times
Pools are something most people enjoy however 2 year olds and pools can make for a lethal combination. I'd hold off on the pool for a couple of years.
However if you do end up with a house with a pool make sure the kids go through some form of water safety class so if they do fall in the pool while no ones looking they will be familiar enough with the water to make their way out of the pool.
This Summer, "Waterproof" Your Child

Old 05-19-2011, 04:01 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,248,174 times
I wouldn't use a public pool either...but beware, there is a lot of maintenance associated with having a pool and in the summer months that pump will have to run to keep it nice and clean, which ads to your electric bill.

Also, if you do buy one with a pool, make sure there is a fence around it.
They seem to have a great price for it and it is easy to install:
Fully Assembled Sentry EZ-Guard Child Safety Pool Fence (priced per foot) - 4' Tall - Black:::LifeFence.com

In my SP Travels I haven't seen many With a fence installed already...but it is not hard to put one in. Our pool doesn't have a fence now and so, every time we're there with my little guy it is non stop surveillance cause he's darn quick and loves that water!!

Old 05-19-2011, 07:48 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 936,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelher View Post
...we *think* we are going to focus on the Old NE part of town...would a pool be high on your list or would you just frequent the city pools?
The pool was on my list, but not high; of course preferable to the public pool, though the public pool is fine for a public pool. Two neighborhood specific things. First, most of the houses in the Old NE don't have pools, so looking for a place with a pool may limit selection. Depending on your price range this may be a non-issue, but I wouldn't sacrifice on the house to have a pool since the public pool and city beach/bay (more watersports than swimming) are right there and it's only 15 minutes to the gulf beaches. Second, most of the lots in the Old NE are small, so a pool can really dominate the yard and limit its other uses. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just worth considering the use/space tradeoffs.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:07 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,272,360 times
Here is a recent post on the topic, with this same group of contributors making comments:

//www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...uy-pool-2.html

Old 05-19-2011, 09:08 AM

494 posts, read 1,666,349 times
The cost to get a pool is much lower if you buy a house with one than adding one later, assumming you are talking about a nice in-ground pool. Solar heat would be a nice bonus.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:36 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,248,174 times
here's a visual of a home there from a photoshoot last year:

as you can see, you won't have much patio left...
Attached Thumbnails
Pool or No Pool in St Petersburg?-43.jpg  

Old 05-19-2011, 11:24 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,002,522 times
One other bit of safety, if you do get a pool is to make sure theres no Gators, snakes or scorpions in it before you jump in or other creatures

http://www.surfrats.com/gallery/data...iseAttacks.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay