Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 07:35 AM

12 posts, read 32,548 times

Advertisements

I have the option of relocating to either Seattle, WA or Tampa, FL. I'm just starting out my career so I'd like to be able to save a decent amount of income. I can (and have) read demographic information and cost of living analysis 'till I'm blue in the face. Overall Tampa seems less expensive as far as housing and cost of living. A few questions...

- My g/f is Asian... is the area accepting of Asian culture and does it have a decent selection of restaurants to choose from when compared to other cities?
- Are there good areas to live in that you can get away with a 30 min or less commute time to downtown? and does downtown actually have parking? (HUGE issue in Seattle)
- Is Tampa a good place to raise a family or a singles haven?

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 08:40 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,379,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake85 View Post
I have the option of relocating to either Seattle, WA or Tampa, FL. I'm just starting out my career so I'd like to be able to save a decent amount of income. I can (and have) read demographic information and cost of living analysis 'till I'm blue in the face. Overall Tampa seems less expensive as far as housing and cost of living. A few questions...

- My g/f is Asian... is the area accepting of Asian culture and does it have a decent selection of restaurants to choose from when compared to other cities?
- Are there good areas to live in that you can get away with a 30 min or less commute time to downtown? and does downtown actually have parking? (HUGE issue in Seattle)
- Is Tampa a good place to raise a family or a singles haven?

Thanks for your input!
IN my opinion, they are two totally different worlds(Tampa and Seattle), but to answer your questions from what I know:
Asian - I would think Seattle would have more Asian influences and restaurants being on the Pacific, but there are many Asians I personally know in this city, and several very good authentic Asian markets and restaurants(Oceanic Market, China Yuan, Cafe BT are my favs for Asian). They are scattered about, not one particular section.

Downtown - yes there is PLENTY of parking, from Lots, to garages, most buildings haver their own parking. Some people pay premiums to get the best spots close to their office. Check out TDP Intro to view Parking in downtown. As far as a 30 minute decent area from downtown, PLENTY, just depends what you are looking for(New Tampa, Tampa Palms, Wesley Chapel, Brandon, Riverview, Apollo Beach, Lutz, Land O' Lakes, Westchase, Safety Harbor, St. Petersburg, and on and on)

Singles Haven or Family Oriented - I would say both from experience as a single, and having numerous friends that have families(and both live in City of Tampa areas, and the suburbs - just depends what is important to you, and how much $$$ you have).

Old 08-22-2007, 12:09 PM

Thanks for your comments. Very helpful.

Anyone else have any comments/suggestions?

I might also add that I lived in Seattle for 6 months (internships) and have visited Florida in a limited fashion (Orlando for maybe a week or two).

As far as lifestyles are concerned... are people in Tampa fairly outgoing/personable? I know this is entirely subjective, but what type of person Would NOT want to live in Tampa? Although from NC, I'm an agnostic liberal democrat (yah yah...i know) so would I be doomed from the onset?

Thanks!

Old 08-22-2007, 01:32 PM

471 posts, read 1,661,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake85 View Post
Thanks for your comments. Very helpful.

I know this is entirely subjective, but what type of person Would NOT want to live in Tampa? Although from NC, I'm an agnostic liberal democrat (yah yah...i know) so would I be doomed from the onset?

Thanks!
Not doomed, but an agnostic liberal democrat might feel more comfortable in St. Pete.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:39 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,084,292 times
Well, I've never been to Seattle, but I cannot wait to get out of Tampa. Thirty minute commute?! Forget it. If you can afford to live near downtown or South of Kennedy Blvd. (S. Tampa) you'll be fine, but there is no night life to speak of downtown. You'll be close to some entertainment districts. Ybor, if Disney had a pretend Ghetto land with clubs and gangsters, it would look like Ybor. Channelside is great... the first time you visit. Hyde Park is sort of chic, but you'll soon find people in this town are earily similiar and homogonized like the rest of this sprawled out, sub-urban nightmare. I hope you like your car because you'll spend a lot of time in it. I've never heard of so many pedestrians getting hit by cars and Tampa is the capital of the hit-and-run.
The weather probably beats the heck out of Seattle's. The cost of living doesn't seem high, but the job market will put a low cieling on your income and the lack of educated work force here leaves few major companies or industries to choose from. You can't throw a rock without hitting a realtor or a lawyer. All one can say is "Tampa, so much potential."
Check out this link:
Nation's most expensive commutes siphon 20% of income - Buy a House: MLS Listings & Home Buying Tips - MSN Real Estate

Old 08-22-2007, 07:44 PM

975 posts, read 3,731,074 times
Well that will suit me just fine--I currently live in a place where you pay through the nose to have every entertainment option at your fingertips 24/7, and I don't even use most of them anymore. All I need now is a beach, some nice lakes, and a few bars to go to now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
Well, I've never been to Seattle, but I cannot wait to get out of Tampa. Thirty minute commute?! Forget it. If you can afford to live near downtown or South of Kennedy Blvd. (S. Tampa) you'll be fine, but there is no night life to speak of downtown. You'll be close to some entertainment districts. Ybor, if Disney had a pretend Ghetto land with clubs and gangsters, it would look like Ybor. Channelside is great... the first time you visit. Hyde Park is sort of chic, but you'll soon find people in this town are earily similiar and homogonized like the rest of this sprawled out, sub-urban nightmare. I hope you like your car because you'll spend a lot of time in it. I've never heard of so many pedestrians getting hit by cars and Tampa is the capital of the hit-and-run.
The weather probably beats the heck out of Seattle's. The cost of living doesn't seem high, but the job market will put a low cieling on your income and the lack of educated work force here leaves few major companies or industries to choose from. You can't throw a rock without hitting a realtor or a lawyer. All one can say is "Tampa, so much potential."
Check out this link:
Nation's most expensive commutes siphon 20% of income - Buy a House: MLS Listings & Home Buying Tips - MSN Real Estate

Old 08-22-2007, 08:16 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,214,223 times
choose where in tampa wisely. i had a good friend move to tampa from western nc, and he didnt even last 6 months in tampa. tampa is much different from nc. nc= friendly. tampa = so-so.

ps- my friend was originally from tampa and thought he'd move back to tampa after college. he lasted about 6 months or so, and he headed back up to the mountains of nc. i too am from fla, lived in nc, and now live in orlando.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:20 PM

10 posts, read 33,043 times
We live in Clearwater - about 30 minutes to Tampa / Airport / West shore area. We commuted into Tampa for years and we did so because we wanted to be closer to beaches and all Pinellas has to offer.

I find people very friendly having lived in lots of places - especially since few people are "from here" - Good luck

Old 08-22-2007, 09:41 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,214,223 times
"I find people very friendly having lived in lots of places - especially since few people are "from here" - Good luck"

the natives are usually the nicer, more laid-back ppl.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:36 AM

Thank you all for your input. I've decided to accept the job in Tampa over Seattle (mainly because of closeness to family, etc.).

Now on to apartment hunting ...wooo (don't move 'till July though)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay