U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 03:57 PM

60 posts, read 148,251 times

Advertisements

Hi all. We are hoping to move to Tampa this summer (husband is retiring from Air Force after 20 yrs) and I was curious does anyone know about how much it will cost to register our cars for the first time? I have a 2010 Beetle and he has a 2011 Toyota Tacoma. I've seen people put God-awful amounts like $1600 and it's freaking me out a bit! If anyone has any knowledge of in general what FL charges please let me know! Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 04:01 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,034,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalou76 View Post
Hi all. We are hoping to move to Tampa this summer (husband is retiring from Air Force after 20 yrs) and I was curious does anyone know about how much it will cost to register our cars for the first time? I have a 2010 Beetle and he has a 2011 Toyota Tacoma. I've seen people put God-awful amounts like $1600 and it's freaking me out a bit! If anyone has any knowledge of in general what FL charges please let me know! Thanks
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=car+registration+cost+florida

Initial Registration fee
This is charged when applicant does not have a Florida registration to transfer. $225.00

Old 05-25-2011, 04:15 PM

Not sure if you're being sincere or a smarta**, but i'm assuming since the link is "For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than google it for themselves" that the later was your intent. I saw someone post that they had recently moved to FL and they paid $1600 for vehicle registration so that is why I was asking. I did google and see that registration isn't normally that high, but thought maybe they had a special circumstance and was simply curious what other people had personally paid. My husband is from FL but we have been moving around the last 20 years because he has been serving in the military, so i was just curious because i'm trying to budget our move.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:22 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,264,599 times
It really isn't easy to figure out exactly how much you'll pay. When we moved here, I looked all over the Florida websites and wasn't able to. I ended up calling the DMV and asking (that's probably the best thing for you to do).

It is expensive. There is the initial $225, plus whatever else they throw in there (I can't remember it all anymore). We paid around $900 total for two cars, including our licenses and everything else.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:22 PM

As I copied from the florida website directly, its 225 for initial registration. If you think it might be more, I"d rather take the word from the DMV themselves then to by the word of people on a message board. *shrug*. yes. I was being a smartass earlier, it is annoying seeing questions that can be answered with a quick google search.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:35 PM

Thanks Maggie07, appreciate you giving me your experience and being kind Luckily I stayed a FL resident all this time since my husband was active duty and at least I won't have to worry about changing my license over.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:39 PM

27,798 posts, read 27,958,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
it is annoying seeing questions that can be answered with a quick google search.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:00 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,264,599 times
I feel like this was a legitimate question.

Also, probably half the questions posted on this forum could be googled. I don't understand what the big deal is. Ignore it if it bothers you.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:29 PM

Why are people being so nasty? I was just asking for advice from people who have actually paid the fees. Websites tell you one thing, DMV tells you another and then people post what they paid and it doesn't match up so i was just curious. Geeze, didn't know people would be getting praised for being snotty to me for asking a question. If it's so "beneath" you why take the time to answer? I've been a member of city data forumn for awhile and i've never felt the need to be nasty to anyone! If i can't be helpful i simply move on to the next post. How RUDE! Thanks Maggi07, nice to know there are still some nice people in Tampa (as i feel most are, you always get a few bad apples unfortunatly).

Old 05-25-2011, 06:41 PM

I dont think suggesting to google you question was "so nasty" but if you wanna think that, go ahead. I've already answered your question 2 times now (HOW RUDE OF ME!) but i'll answer it a third time. 225 for initial registration according to their website but you will want to call the DMV to find out for certain what you will be paying as they are the only ones who can TRULY answer that question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay