Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2018, 12:15 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
There is nowhere to buy good cheesecake in Tampa Bay. You have to have it shipped from New York frozen.

https://www.juniorscheesecake.com/
This is a pretty preposterous claim to make for a metro the size of the Bay Area.

My South Tampa friends have been going to Alessi's and Mike's Pies for years. I've had cheesecake from both of them while visiting, and both were superior to the vastly overrated Juniors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 12:31 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,847,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
This is a pretty preposterous claim to make for a metro the size of the Bay Area.

My South Tampa friends have been going to Alessi's and Mike's Pies for years. I've had cheesecake from both of them while visiting, and both were superior to the vastly overrated Juniors.

Alessi? Mike's Pies? Better than Juniors? Yeah. OK. Whatever you say. Have you actually looked at the ingredients in Alessi's and Mike's products? I grew up going to Alessi and even I know what they make that is good and what they make that sucks. And cheesecake is not their forte! But to each their own!

And yes I agree that Juniors cheesecake is overrated. The only reason I suggested it is because they are very good at shipping and they ship to Tampa. And Juniors cheesecake is better than anything in Tampa.

But if you are ever in New York, the City Bakery makes amazing cheesecake! So do many other bakeries in NYC and San Francisco.

Somebody also told me about Eileen's in NYC but I have not tried it. Will be in NYC for New Year's Eve and will make a trip.

Eileen’s Special Cheesecake

I see that Eileen's also ships.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:37 PM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I bought dog food on chewy.com yesterday. They were (are?) having a Black Friday sale and I got it like $30 off for a 25 pound bag. It was on my doorstep this morning, less than 24 hours later. I don't think Publix could beat that. Walmart and Target? Maybe.
The only time I ever see good deals on quality dog chow at Publix, Wal-Mart and/or Target is when Publix has certain items on BOGO. Their standard prices are about 10% higher, from what I've noticed, but when you catch them on sale, you end up saving over the other two.

I normally don't buy pet food from either of those stores though, except for the occasional Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys box when, again, Publix has them on BOGO.

I think I bought some Rachel Ray cat food from there too when it first came out. My cat seemed to like it.

Either way, none of those stores really cut it in the pet food department.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:12 AM

15 posts, read 11,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenieTA View Post
How do the prices at Publix compare to Super Target or WalMart? Here in the Chicago suburbs, we grocery shop mostly at Super Target. Produce, however, is better off purchased at a more ethnically diverse grocery store (Valley Produce, Ca****s, etc). We're moving to a home next month in FL that is within walking distance to a Publix. Target and WalMart are nearby but not as convenient.

Thanks!!

This was the Original topic, not pet food, right?

So how does Publix prices compare? depends on what category of groceries, time of year, incentives, and a host of other variables.

That said, Wallyworld is not Publix - different shopper for Publix - Publix customers aren't counting pennies or buying a ton of off-brand or store-brand itemse. Target of course is not a "supermarket".

A Walmart customer is rarely a Publix customer, Publix customer might occasionally go into a Publix. Hardly ever the same demographic.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:42 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentCheer View Post
This was the Original topic, not pet food, right?

So how does Publix prices compare? depends on what category of groceries, time of year, incentives, and a host of other variables.

That said, Wallyworld is not Publix - different shopper for Publix - Publix customers aren't counting pennies or buying a ton of off-brand or store-brand itemse. Target of course is not a "supermarket".

A Walmart customer is rarely a Publix customer, Publix customer might occasionally go into a Publix. Hardly ever the same demographic.
Way to stay on topic. :-)

I would say that Publix has good sales like very store does, so you will eventually see your preferred items discounted. However, if you enjoy national brands and don't want to play the sales game at conventional grocery store, then Walmart and Target are your best bet for everyday low prices. Your nearby regular Target may have a small fresh grocery market inside, so don't drive by it thinking you have to go to a Super Target. If fresh grocery is available, it'll have an Aldi-size assortment of dry goods, refrigerated/frozen perishables, fresh meat, and produce. I like to get my produce from a local shop.

Old 12-01-2018, 05:35 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Trader Joes > Publix. I would buy everything at Trader Joes and some on sale meats at Publix as they have some good sales. I am price and quality minded, so that may not be popular if you don't care about quality much and just looking for convenience.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:09 AM

15 posts, read 11,150 times
all I know is that I'm about to drive past my 'subdivision close' Publix Supermarket Plaza, spend 5 dollars more in gas, tires, and oil, in order to go to WallyWorld to 'save' say 2.50 off my total bill ! that's perfectly nutty. Then there is the whole added risk thing with traffic and idiots in a huge parking lot. Nay, I think for me I have 3 Publix Supermarket Plazas that are pretty much equidistant from my gated suburban community - they all are good choices generally. The closet Aldi is at least 7 MORE miles away, the super Wally is about 6 MORE miles aany and the super Target is at least those miles farther away (so is the Whole Foods which is stupid to enter and exit). n fact, Publix is also building ANOTHER plaza even closer to my own gate !

That said, I go to Publix because of their consistent good customer service, not for price necessarily. I guess if you find Publix waay too expensive for your budget, then do the smart thing and shop elsewhere. JC Penney shoppers would of course think that Neiman Marcus is off the chart, or for that matter, even Nordstrom. Supermarkets are no different. Some people just love places like Sav-a-Lot and Dollar General. Fine, fine and great!

Old 12-02-2018, 08:37 AM

30,430 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentCheer View Post
all I know is that I'm about to drive past my 'subdivision close' Publix Supermarket Plaza, spend 5 dollars more in gas, tires, and oil, in order to go to WallyWorld to 'save' say 2.50 off my total bill ! that's perfectly nutty. Then there is the whole added risk thing with traffic and idiots in a huge parking lot. Nay, I think for me I have 3 Publix Supermarket Plazas that are pretty much equidistant from my gated suburban community - they all are good choices generally. The closet Aldi is at least 7 MORE miles away, the super Wally is about 6 MORE miles aany and the super Target is at least those miles farther away (so is the Whole Foods which is stupid to enter and exit). n fact, Publix is also building ANOTHER plaza even closer to my own gate !

That said, I go to Publix because of their consistent good customer service, not for price necessarily. I guess if you find Publix waay too expensive for your budget, then do the smart thing and shop elsewhere. JC Penney shoppers would of course think that Neiman Marcus is off the chart, or for that matter, even Nordstrom. Supermarkets are no different. Some people just love places like Sav-a-Lot and Dollar General. Fine, fine and great!
And some dumb peeps drive 10 miles to save 10 cents a gal on gas.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:50 AM

48 posts, read 26,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
And some dumb peeps drive 10 miles to save 10 cents a gal on gas.

True LOL, but remember- most gas stations aren't generally located that close to subdivisions, at least not around me, but the Publix is !
There are exceptions that are being constructed now, some Publix plazas have new adjacent discount gas stations !!

Old 12-02-2018, 09:17 AM

25,725 posts, read 12,800,389 times
I do 1 trip a week, and all 4 stops are on the same road not far apart:

1) Sprouts (mostly fruits,nuts, seeds, vegees, sometimes seafood)
2) Total Wine & More
3) Wal Mart (paper products & cleaning supplies, household items)
4) Aldi's (staple food products, minimal fruits and vegees)

I check all the specials online before I depart. I combine other tasks w/ this trip, so its not out of the way.

My wife goes to Publix sporadically and buys only BOGO's, and meat if we are having company. Publix has 2 lowfat cheese products I can't find elsewhere, so I bite the bullet & ask my wife picks those up for me. if I go w/ her, I'm aghast at the Publix's regular prices. Even the BOGO's are not real deals most times, but it's not a battle I choose to pick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay