Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 05:31 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times

Advertisements

So pretty much anything but a pine tree is protected by the way...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 05:39 PM

769 posts, read 2,051,181 times
We took down a palm tree by ourselves with no permit. It was big but not fully grown. No one ratted us out. In my defense, I did plant a different palm tree about 10 feet away from where the one we took down was planted within a week.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:20 PM

737 posts, read 2,587,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Shame on you for even suggesting that. Anyone making a tree "sick" will still have to dispose of it at cost.
Really? I thought this was supposed to be a helpful posting environment. All I said that "I was just sayin'" Please keep mean and spiteful comments unsaid. Thanks. By the way, Australian pines are not indigenous to the area. I know the OP wants to do the right thing and I fully agree. But please keep these acerbic comments to yourself. We are just here to give opinions and help; not knock down others' comments. Happy life!!

Old 06-05-2011, 01:51 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
Really? I thought this was supposed to be a helpful posting environment. All I said that "I was just sayin'" Please keep mean and spiteful comments unsaid. Thanks. By the way, Australian pines are not indigenous to the area. I know the OP wants to do the right thing and I fully agree. But please keep these acerbic comments to yourself. We are just here to give opinions and help; not knock down others' comments. Happy life!!
I am allowed to have and post my "acerbic" opinion. You were "just sayin," but giving that poster the idea, which was a bad thing to do, IMO, and I stand by my post. No one should be making any trees purposely sick, do it the proper way, get a permit and have it cut down.

Yea, Happy life to you too!

Old 06-05-2011, 02:27 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,368,434 times
Permit or no permit the tree is coming down anyways so what difference does it make?

If you happen to own 5 or 10 acres of woods and you want to take a few tree's down in the middle of it to make a picnic area are you expected to pull permits?! Don't think so... you just take'm down and use the wood for firewood.

It just depends on where you live... a residental community sure, get a permit or whoever is doing the work get a permit... non residental fire up the chainsaw.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:19 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
Permit or no permit the tree is coming down anyways so what difference does it make?

If you happen to own 5 or 10 acres of woods and you want to take a few tree's down in the middle of it to make a picnic area are you expected to pull permits?! Don't think so... you just take'm down and use the wood for firewood.

It just depends on where you live... a residential community sure, get a permit or whoever is doing the work get a permit... non residental fire up the chainsaw.
It depends on the laws in the city/county you live in.

Technically, in Hillsborough county, even if you own 10000 acres, you cant legally cut down trees without a permit. I dont care if you think it's stupid or not, but it's the law. Will you get caught? Maybe, maybe not. If you do, it's gonna cost you BIG time depending on what kind of tree it is.

http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/pgm/resources/forms/landdevelopment/treeremovalpermitting.pdf (broken link)

Old 06-05-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
It depends on the laws in the city/county you live in.

Technically, in Hillsborough county, even if you own 10000 acres, you cant legally cut down trees without a permit. I dont care if you think it's stupid or not, but it's the law. Will you get caught? Maybe, maybe not. If you do, it's gonna cost you BIG time depending on what kind of tree it is.

http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/pgm/resources/forms/landdevelopment/treeremovalpermitting.pdf (broken link)
3 copper nails...

Old 06-05-2011, 07:05 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
People back to me took out 2 big trees without a permit and so did another neighbor...they all risked to get fined but nobody got fined.

We have trees removed on rentals we manage and it was really necessary due to a driveway completely cracked due to the roots and some trees were planted so close to the foundation/exterior wall, that the foundation was starting to crack...

The home owner insurance was no longer insuring the property unless the trees were trimmed and some removed...so we had it taken care off, pretty fast and all without a permit.

The owners were all liable if there would be an issue...we just followed orders to have it taking care off in name of the owner.

Most trees were just trimmed back unless it was causing damage.

I have seen people first making sure the tree died and than take it out, something I would not promote or advise and if anybody removes a tree without a permit, they could have to deal with the consequenses...something every person has to realize.

Luckily for me none of the trees from my backdoor neighbors was giving me shade otherwise I might have reported it....my next door neighbor now has all day sun on his house due to the trees being removed. My back door neighbor who is a little bit to the left still has their trees which is giving me nice shade and together with my back yard trees is also giving me some more privacy and nicer green view.

So before you do something make sure the neighbors will not report you..some might be very happy when they are gone since they are overhanging their yard and causing issues.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
People back to me took out 2 big trees without a permit and so did another neighbor...they all risked to get fined but nobody got fined.

We have trees removed on rentals we manage and it was really necessary due to a driveway completely cracked due to the roots and some trees were planted so close to the foundation/exterior wall, that the foundation was starting to crack...

The home owner insurance was no longer insuring the property unless the trees were trimmed and some removed...so we had it taken care off, pretty fast and all without a permit.

The owners were all liable if there would be an issue...we just followed orders to have it taking care off in name of the owner.

Most trees were just trimmed back unless it was causing damage.

I have seen people first making sure the tree died and than take it out, something I would not promote or advise and if anybody removes a tree without a permit, they could have to deal with the consequenses...something every person has to realize.

Luckily for me none of the trees from my backdoor neighbors was giving me shade otherwise I might have reported it....my next door neighbor now has all day sun on his house due to the trees being removed. My back door neighbor who is a little bit to the left still has their trees which is giving me nice shade and together with my back yard trees is also giving me some more privacy and nicer green view.

So before you do something make sure the neighbors will not report you..some might be very happy when they are gone since they are overhanging their yard and causing issues.
Am I ever glad that I'm not living next to/near a tiny residential judge... lol

Old 06-05-2011, 08:49 PM

46 posts, read 139,927 times
People have been know to hire someone to cut it down, They tell me there's a LOT of lightning strikes down here in Florida!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay