U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 09:44 PM

9 posts, read 19,206 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know about the desirability of Plant City and safe areas in/around it? My partner, 12 year old and I are moving to Tampa area. We would like to find a safe area with an acre or so. Probably about $100,000 or so in price, but negotiable. I'll be driving to USF but not at peak travel times. We are concerned about middle schools for our daughter. Any help would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 04:56 AM

771 posts, read 1,656,683 times
There are lots of nice areas around Plant city to live for that price point. The area is mixed with agriculture, farmland, homes on 1-4 acres, and gated communities. As for crime statistics and quality of schooling, I can't say I'm an expert. In general it's a very wholesome, family oriented, quiet area.

We do have our share of crime as all communities do, but nowhere near the amount of Clearwater, St. Pete., and Tampa. From what I read in the TBO paper, the schools are pretty decent with lots of programs for the kids. We have a great YMCA with an outdoor pool and all the shopping and produce stands you could want. We are reasonably close to mega shopping in both Lakeland and Brandon/Valrico and only 50 minutes to the theme parks in Orlando.

Hope that helps....

Old 06-08-2011, 06:30 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
4,231 posts, read 4,388,163 times
What the previous poster said, however, do understand that Plant City is a very conservative area for the most part. The first question that comes up in casual conversation is usually, "What church do you go to?"

That being said, it is a nice area and has a wide range of amenities and home prices.

Do also understand that it is somewhat of a closed community, and tightly knit at that.

These are not bad things, just something to be aware of....

RM

Old 06-08-2011, 08:28 PM

I've heard someone else mention something about Plant City being "conservative." We are a lesbian couple. Do you think that would present a problem for us?

Old 06-08-2011, 11:52 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,494,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfRat View Post
I've heard someone else mention something about Plant City being "conservative." We are a lesbian couple. Do you think that would present a problem for us?
Probably not. I have a lesbian family member who lives in Plant City with her partner and she's never had any problems that I know of.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:00 AM

11,456 posts, read 13,224,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfRat View Post
I would not recommend Plant City for a gay couple.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:54 AM

771 posts, read 1,656,683 times
I wouldn't put too much weight on the opinions people have about Plant City unless they actually live there - currently.

I heard all these opinions BEFORE I moved there and NONE of them turned out to be true. Go Figure???

Old 06-14-2011, 05:47 AM

Thanks all.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:12 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,038,469 times
Pfft i visit PC a lot and its not 'conservative' as people are making it out to be. For the most part, people stick to their own business there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay