Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2011, 08:46 PM

72 posts, read 213,890 times

Advertisements

I have been posting similar questions over the past few years, and I am finally ready to move down to the Bay Area if I am able to find a job. All information is greatly appreciated.

Does anyone have specific information about the job market for accountants in the Tampa area? I am a CPA in NY, working in private accounting now and I have several years of private experience. I have two years of public audit experience.

What is the likelihood of finding a job in public or private? I'm not looking for relocation assistance, but certainly wouldn't turn it down.

If there is anyone in the industry or has recently been looking, I would love to have your advice.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 09:10 PM

769 posts, read 2,050,735 times
Look for jobs at Metlife, Jabil, Outback, Aegon, Raymond James, BayCare, Chase, and FIS. Those are all companies that have large accounting/finance functions around here.

Is your experience in large companies/publicly traded ones or smaller companies? In an accounting role that can make a huge difference. Any specific industries? Can you/will you transfer your license?

I don't think you'll have much luck in public accounting. It's hard to get considered when you've been away from it for a few years. They like candidates with recent experience.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:20 PM

Thanks newyorker24. My private experience is in small and mid-size not-for-profit companies. In public I think I may be a good fit for small firms. I will be transferring my license, I need to take one course to fulfill the Florida education requirements which I should have done by the end of summer.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:14 PM

Girl Scouts has an office with accountants around here if you want to stay in the non-profit sector. I have friends that work at Outback's corporate office and I'm pretty sure they have openings right now, if you prefer the for profit sector.

There are tons of small CPA firms around here, but most of them don't do audits so they often look for tax staff, not audit staff. Generally the mid-size and larger firms around here will do more audit work- but look around. I personally would never go back to public accounting.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:59 PM

45 posts, read 67,204 times
I'm a CPA here in Tampa and only make $38K. Don't even come here. Just don't do it.

And as for the supposed jobs at Metlife, Jabil, Outback, Aegon, Raymond James, BayCare, etc. I've applied at all those places and gotten nowhere. No phone call, no e-mail. If you come down here, you're gonna take a beating. And make sure your license will transfer.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anti CPA View Post
I'm a CPA here in Tampa and only make $38K. Don't even come here. Just don't do it.

And as for the supposed jobs at Metlife, Jabil, Outback, Aegon, Raymond James, BayCare, etc. I've applied at all those places and gotten nowhere. No phone call, no e-mail. If you come down here, you're gonna take a beating. And make sure your license will transfer.
Those places do hire people all the time. Not everyone will have the same results. If your only experience so far is in public accounting that would probably not help you get into those places. I've applied at some of those places in the past, interviewed, been offered jobs at a few of them, and I worked at some of them previously.

I will admit that I've transitioned from accounting into other roles, but I make a very nice salary.

OP- I forgot to mention HSN but check them out as well.

Last edited by newyorker24; 06-12-2011 at 09:19 PM..

Old 06-13-2011, 07:45 PM

Thanks newyorker24.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:41 PM

45 posts, read 67,204 times
I thought public accounting experience was supposed to help you get industry jobs?

Old 06-14-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anti CPA View Post
I thought public accounting experience was supposed to help you get industry jobs?
Yes, but generally only if it's Big 4 experience. Experience in a very small firm will not help all that much. And many companies still prefer private/fortune 500 experience over public accounting experience. You can get some entry level jobs requiring 1-2 years experience but don't expect a high level job. Private and public accounting are very different.

I was able to get into a staff accountant position at a large company after one year in public accounting, and was making close to what you make now. I've since then moved into financial planning/reporting/systems roles and really enjoy the work along with the pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay