Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 10:02 AM

20 posts, read 46,574 times

Advertisements

Hey guys and gals. I have a job opportunity in either Tampa(St.Petersburg) or Delrey beach. I need help deciding on where to live. I live in Arlington Va which is very close to D.C., I do like the metropolitan feel of Arlington because it is part city and part suburban. I am 35 years old. I enjoy the beach but I also want the downtown look and buzz that I am used to. I will be making over 250k a yr, so I want somewhere I will be able to enjoy my time off. I like high end shopping area's,beaches,restaurants, and nice coffee shops. I will working in either St.Petersburg or Delrey beach and I am not afraid of commuting a half hour or so to get to work. I like highend high rise condo's for the time being, because its only me and my girlfriend right now. I am used to a hiper crowd, lounges and nice restaurants. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thank you again in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 08:25 PM

6 posts, read 13,027 times
Sounds like you should move to Miami. We relocated to St. Pete from the same area last year. There is some of what you are looking for in Tampa, and a little in St. Pete, but not a whole lot. You sound like you are looking to live large, so go buy your Florida clubwear, gold chains and hair gel and head to South Beach. You will be a small fish in a big pond with plenty of places to spend your money. If you come to Tampa you will have run through the Tampa scene in about 6 months and have no where new to go eat.

We like it here in St. Pete, but we have two kids and we aren't looking to shred it three or four nights a week. We miss the variety/culture/food of a bigger city, but find the trade offs to be worth it most of the time.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:16 PM

Sorry to sound snobby in my question I posted. I am very worried about making the wrong decision. I probably will be working my ass off the first six months but I love the beach and want something with a clean city life as well. I heard alot of good things about down town St.Petersburg's. I have a choice between Tampa and West palm beach but I need to make a desicion by the help. I am definitely not a cluber. Me and girlfriend go out once a week for a date night. I am looking for nice lounges and restaurants for a 30 something crowd. I dont need South beach but a happy medium. Please help!!

Old 06-13-2011, 06:06 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,372,105 times
like i mentioned in the other thread you made about this exact subject, you'd be a better fit in west palm.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:04 AM

670 posts, read 1,270,853 times
I am from NOVA as well and it sounds like West Palm would be a better fit for you. Tampa does not have that city feel that you are looking for. Trust me. I know Arlington very well and WPB is closer to it than Tampa. Tampa is more for families and retirees IMO.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:20 PM

644 posts, read 1,474,188 times
WPB has CityCentre which is nice, but watch the other areas. I was surprised how rundown much of it was.

DelRay has less crime and a great downtown with blocks of restaurants. But it depends on what "feel" you want. The friends I know in that area love Delray but would not consider WPB. However, they are 40 plus.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:06 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,280,482 times
There is no place like Arlington here. If you are looking for something like that, you will be disappointed.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:06 PM

239 posts, read 668,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
There is no place like Arlington here. If you are looking for something like that, you will be disappointed.
Crazynip said it best. We are from NoVa too. IMO you will not find what you are looking for in Tampa. We lived in Miami for the past 5 years and although I would NEVER EVER recommend Miami, it does seem to have more of what you are looking for. We like Tampa (or anywhere on Earth) over Miami but our priorites are on opposite sides of the scale.

Good luck!

Old 06-15-2011, 03:44 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 936,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington1 View Post
Sorry to sound snobby in my question I posted. I am very worried about making the wrong decision. I probably will be working my ass off the first six months but I love the beach and want something with a clean city life as well. I heard alot of good things about down town St.Petersburg's. I have a choice between Tampa and West palm beach but I need to make a desicion by the help. I am definitely not a cluber. Me and girlfriend go out once a week for a date night. I am looking for nice lounges and restaurants for a 30 something crowd. I dont need South beach but a happy medium. Please help!!
I'm not familiar with Delray, but I am familiar with Arlington, and I live in St. Pete. St. Pete has a city feel, but it feels like a very small city compared to Arlington, and there is no DC right next door. So you will find high end condos and fun restaurants/bars/lounges, but there's only one good nightlife district, and it's 20+ minutes on the highway (no train here) to get to another nightlife district (in Tampa). If you only go out once per week, and you're mostly hanging out in Arlington/Clarendon, St. Pete might be enough for you. If you're hitting up all of the hot spots in and around DC, then you're going to get bored in St. Pete.

The other option in the bay area is in Tampa. Tampa has more young professionals and college kids than anywhere else in the bay area, so there's a lot more nightlife there. There are three active nightlife districts in Tampa: South Howard (aka SoHo), Channelside and Ybor. Pretty short cab ride between them; and the neighborhoods around SoHo are the place to live in Tampa. That said, SoHo doesn't have a city feel at all, it's at least 40 mins to the beach and lacks a vacation vibe, you'd be pushing your desired commute time at rush hour (though rush hour here is very short, so if you're working your ass off, you'll never see rush hour), and the nightlife is heavy on dressed-up-for-clubbing (as opposed to St. Pete, which is mostly chill bars). So there's more to do than St. Pete, but I don't know whether it fits you well, and if you're hitting all the hot spots in DC now, you'll probably still get bored with it. But, if you come visit, be sure to spend time in both St. Pete and around SoHo so you get a good sense for your two options.

One other general thought: St. Pete has a slower pace of life than DC -- it's some combination of beach vacation and southern living. I love it; but reasonable people can disagree. Southeastern FL is much faster paced, like DC and the northeast in that respect.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:42 PM

I visited Tampa 2 weeks ago. I loved the beaches, Anna maria island,Clearwater and Siesta Key. I did not get a chance to visit Downtown St.Pete. I stayed at the Intercontinental hotel. I visited channel side and Soho. Very beautiful! I just want yo be able to live in a "High End" or "Hipper" condo and go out to dinner once in a while. Anymore suggestion's? Please!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay