U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 01:38 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,835,297 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this isn't anything new to 99% of you, but seeing as I just moved here a few weeks ago...I have to ask. I've seen more panhandlers/bums on the street corners than ANY city I've ever been to.

I am really enjoying Tampa and glad I moved, but it is one thing that really puts a sore on the city when riding about.

I know all cities have their share of bums that approach you on the sidewalk, but this is just so blatant it almost seems encouraged. I ended up asking a local about the reflective vests and he said they were required to wear them if they are out there...isn't that a bit redundant and only feeding the problem?

Another issue I have is that a large percentage of them are YOUNG and should be willing and able to work. I know times are tough and people are doing anything they can to stay afloat in these economic times...but some of these guys look 25 to 30 years old. That should be illegal.

Out on the farms in the area, there are migrant workers that can barely speak a lick of English but they are working and earning a paycheck. You can't tell me some of these bums couldn't get a job working with them. Only problem I see is the work ethic wouldn't allow them to keep up!

Encouraging and catering to the panhandlers by making it "okay" and acceptable is making intersections more dangerous, it isn't getting them anywhere, and it makes the city look pitiful.

/rant
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 01:54 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,501,538 times
How are we catering and encouraging panhandlers?

Old 06-12-2011, 02:01 PM

27,798 posts, read 28,002,366 times
I'll have to agree a little w/ the rant about not accepting certain type work - if non-english speaking immigrants can take a job, there's no reason why any hard working American can't do the same work. The only possibility is finding transportation out to the fields in South Hillsborough.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:02 PM

792 posts, read 2,092,816 times
The problem got so bad in Saint Petersburg that they actually passed an ordinance outlawing panhandling at intersections in the city limits. It certainly made the problem a lot better.

You can actually stop at a red light now without being stared at by a drunk looking for a handout.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
How are we catering and encouraging panhandlers?
By making a law/ordinance that requires them to wear reflective vests. The city becomes enablers by doing that alone. It's saying "you can be a nuisance, aggravate people, and stand on all the corners of our city...just be safe doing it."

Um, why not do like most cities and say "if you decide to panhandle, you will be locked up."

Old 06-12-2011, 02:16 PM

27,798 posts, read 28,002,366 times
Wish the local newspaper or news channel would do some undercover work about these panhandlers to actually see if their stories jive w/ what their signs read.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I'll have to agree a little w/ the rant about not accepting certain type work - if non-english speaking immigrants can take a job, there's no reason why any hard working American can't do the same work. The only possibility is finding transportation out to the fields in South Hillsborough.
They would only need to find it once. Something tells me all these bums found a way to get from St. Pete to Tampa once St. Pete kicked them out...they can find a way to South Hillsborough.

And better yet- a lot of those farmers provide housing for their workers.

It isn't that these panhandlers can't "find" work...they aren't looking and don't want to work. They want a handout.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Wish the local newspaper or news channel would do some undercover work about these panhandlers to actually see if their stories jive w/ what their signs read.
Oh they have, I read one earlier today and will see if I can find the link.

Basically, the panhandlers treat this like a job and have no plans to quit or improve their situation. They try to get the best spots in town before others, they know who to target based on appearance, sex, time of day, vehicle, etc etc. They work a few different angles whether it's single dad/mom, war vet, disabled, trying to get home, have kids to feed, etc.

In this interview/article, they acknowledged all the stories were scams and lies in effort to have a good day making money. One couple always made enough money daily so they could at least afford a hotel room for the night...said they would bring in $600-800 per week depending where they were at.

It's pathetic and I can't believe this city and the people living here tolerate it.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:23 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,442,244 times
It was banned in St. Pete, but it won't be banned in Tampa as the Tampa Trib sells newspapers on the corners (also a safety and aesthetic issue), and they, along with a few other Tampa businesses, have bought and paid for the local government.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:48 PM

28 posts, read 53,970 times
Just got back from Tampa and it was one thing that stuck out to us was the panhandlers wearing the vests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or