Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better Metro Washington, DC or Metro Tampa Bay, Floriday
Metro Washington, DC 7 63.64%
Metro Tampa Bay 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,725 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from surburbs of DC (Columbia, Maryland) to Tampa in August 2011. I was surprised how expensive rent is for apartment complexes. I am looking in the area of Westchase. I chose Westchase because it seemed like a community closer to what I'm used to here in Columbia where the median family income is $94,000 and homes run approximately $400K for a family home, $250 - 300K for townhomes which the DC area must have more per capital than any other city. I'm single but love to live in a nice resident friendly community with nice neigborhoods, low crime, upscale shopping, new infrastructure and stable economy. I know Florida's economy is lagging but what other communities are just as nice as what Westchase appears to be. I will be working in Clearwater but wanted to stay closer to downtown Tampa due to social activities that I will be participating in related to an organization in which I'm a member. Any opinions would be great but I would prefer to here from people who have concrete advice instead of the negatives. I could give you several negatives about living in the Metro DC area but I know everyone's experience is different. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 09:13 AM

670 posts, read 1,277,823 times
Tampa is nice. I moved here 5 years ago from Northern VA and am 34. I can honestly say that although Tampa is nice (weather, scenery, palm trees, water, etc), it lacks as far as a "metro area' IMO. It is rather boring outside of enjoying the things I mentioned. I miss certain things about the DC metro such as the city energy, a bustling downtown in DC, change of seasons, large educated groups of young professionals and sophisitication. People here are from all over, generally nice, and very laid back. Also, it is not easy to make friends here. Joining a group of some sort will be helpful in making friends. If you enjoy the quiet, laid back simple beauty of Florida then I think you will like it, If you are looking for a new exciting city then you may be disappointed. Tampa's downtown dies after 5pm once the working folks go home. It's weird but true. Best of luck to you!

Old 06-13-2011, 09:51 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadiva30 View Post
I'm moving from surburbs of DC (Columbia, Maryland) to Tampa in August 2011. I was surprised how expensive rent is for apartment complexes. I am looking in the area of Westchase. I chose Westchase because it seemed like a community closer to what I'm used to here in Columbia where the median family income is $94,000 and homes run approximately $400K for a family home, $250 - 300K for townhomes which the DC area must have more per capital than any other city. I'm single but love to live in a nice resident friendly community with nice neigborhoods, low crime, upscale shopping, new infrastructure and stable economy. I know Florida's economy is lagging but what other communities are just as nice as what Westchase appears to be. I will be working in Clearwater but wanted to stay closer to downtown Tampa due to social activities that I will be participating in related to an organization in which I'm a member. Any opinions would be great but I would prefer to here from people who have concrete advice instead of the negatives. I could give you several negatives about living in the Metro DC area but I know everyone's experience is different. Thanks so much.
I think the westchase/citrus park area's are great. If thats in your price range it definitely fits what you sound like your looking for. I work pretty close to downtown in S. Tampa and during traffic hours it would take about 45 minutes to get downtown, outside of traffic its about 20 minutes. Most of the shopping centers, malls, stores etc.. are generally new and well kept. Its where I live and would recomend for others to live as well!

Old 06-14-2011, 09:01 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 940,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadiva30 View Post
I am looking in the area of Westchase. I chose Westchase because it seemed like a community closer to what I'm used to here in Columbia ... I'm single but love to live in a nice resident friendly community with nice neigborhoods, low crime, upscale shopping, new infrastructure and stable economy.
Have you visited Westchase? It's a very strange choice for a single person. Columbia and Westchase do not strike me as comparable. A lot of people commute from Columbia to B'more and/or DC for work and for fun, but Columbia itself is an actual town and has restaurants, bars, (some) singles and younger people, shopping etc. Westchase is just a big housing development, much of which is gated, that was built for families who want to live way outside of Tampa. There is a super-tiny "downtown" area, like one block, and you will be bored of it in about 10 minutes. It's probably got 3 restaurants and 4 shops, all geared towards families. Other than a nice golf course, there is nothing to do there, and you will find almost no other singles.

I think you'd be happy with Westchase from a clean/affluent/low-crime perspective, but you'd be driving a half hour to dining, nightlife, friends, other singles, the beach, etc. For me, that drive is far enough that I'd go out much, much less. Also, when we (30, married, no kids) looked at houses in a few Westchase neighborhoods, we didn't like the idea of being the rogue couple without kids. You'd be the rogue single, which seems even worse in terms of trying to make friends out there. Think about whether you're OK living in cookie-cutter suburbia that's almost exclusively families. I get that you're planning on a hike to some social activities; just be sure you're ok with having that hike every time you want to go out.

Also, be sure to test the commute. This isn't metro DC, but roads do get congested and, depending on where your work is in Clearwater, it could be a long commute.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:32 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Westchase is boring. Especially if you are single in your early 30s. I would recommend Hyde Park. You can rent for the same price range and have a LOT more social activities near by to partake in with other young single professionals. Coming from DC, even its suburbs, you are probably more used to densely populated neighborhoods. Hyde Park is about as close to that as you are going to find in Tampa.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 4,998 times
Default Trying to fine my Father in Tampa / Plant City, Fla.

Before my mother passed away she told me that the man that raised me was not my father but they were married and was not together at the time. And she met my father who's name is Eddie Smith (nickname Smitty) at his place of work at a Phillips 66 in Port Tampa on Delaney Dr. they met in 1958, he worked on cars and he lived in Plant City, Fla. He was married too and he left his wife, and they moved to Tuscaloosa, Alabama and one day he left to go to work and never came back he new about me but never saw me. My grandparents lived in Tampa at the time and had a home in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. they went and pick my mother and my brother up and moved them back to Tampa,Fla. I was born on November 29,1959 in Tampa General Hospital I was told that his mother came to see me until my mother moved back to Tuscaloosa,Alabama the last time she saw or heard any about me I was only 6 months old. My mother's name was Betty Ann Christian Mullenix I know we have family members that still live in the area My grandfather's name was Sam Christian and his wife was Myrtle and his sister lived in Tampa,Fla. her name was Alma Christian don't know her married name she has a few children. IF ANYONE KNEW MY MOTHER AND WAS FRIENDS WITH HER BACK THEN AND CAN HELP ME FIND MY FATHER PLEASE CONTACT ME AT ( latally2006@hotmail.com ) Thanks for any help I can get finding him. I really would like to him or any of his family where I could have the chance to get to know them and where my children and grandchildren will know about there family.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:10 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,387,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBI View Post
Have you visited Westchase? It's a very strange choice for a single person. Columbia and Westchase do not strike me as comparable. A lot of people commute from Columbia to B'more and/or DC for work and for fun, but Columbia itself is an actual town and has restaurants, bars, (some) singles and younger people, shopping etc. Westchase is just a big housing development, much of which is gated, that was built for families who want to live way outside of Tampa. There is a super-tiny "downtown" area, like one block, and you will be bored of it in about 10 minutes. It's probably got 3 restaurants and 4 shops, all geared towards families. Other than a nice golf course, there is nothing to do there, and you will find almost no other singles.

I think you'd be happy with Westchase from a clean/affluent/low-crime perspective, but you'd be driving a half hour to dining, nightlife, friends, other singles, the beach, etc. For me, that drive is far enough that I'd go out much, much less. Also, when we (30, married, no kids) looked at houses in a few Westchase neighborhoods, we didn't like the idea of being the rogue couple without kids. You'd be the rogue single, which seems even worse in terms of trying to make friends out there. Think about whether you're OK living in cookie-cutter suburbia that's almost exclusively families. I get that you're planning on a hike to some social activities; just be sure you're ok with having that hike every time you want to go out.

Also, be sure to test the commute. This isn't metro DC, but roads do get congested and, depending on where your work is in Clearwater, it could be a long commute.
Columbia is a big, boring, sprawled out office park with cookie cutter homes. Nice homes, but bland... just like Westchase.

I think the two are quite comparable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay