Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 07:10 AM

64 posts, read 179,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
You can switch places with all the people who are making it dirty, rude and riddled with crime. I'm with you...FL is not what it used to be!!!!!!! BUT, I wouldn't go North if someone paid me money. I might go halfway North, but they'll be Florida in a few years...and all you'll hear are the Carolina folks complaining about dirty, rude people and crime elevation!!! You'll see!
Sorry, I meant heading North, as in Ga, SC, or NC! It's not just the crime, etc... I really am sick of this heat after living withit for 37 years! Change of seasons would be so nice...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 10:52 PM

2 posts, read 6,792 times
Well my husband and I are wanting to move to clearwater this is where my husbands family is from i have never been im just a cajun girl from neworlean after reading this it reallys scard me i have four children and wanted a better life for them away from louisiana I hope now im not making a mistake

Old 09-21-2010, 10:57 PM

2 posts, read 6,792 times
What happens when you lose your job for one of any reasons (because as the adage goes nothing is certain but death and taxes) and you lose your house and pool and boat, would you still be happy.....you keep reiterating those same items. If tables were completely turned on you would you still love it all? If you lived in a shack with a beater for a car, and had to collect unemployment, would you. If you could not find a job for a year or two would you? Would you do what others do and relocate? This, thank God ,has not happened to me, but it may have happened to many here in Florida. As for me I have been screwed over by Floridians and all set. I am presently living on a canal with an inground pool watching tv on a 52", still not happy being here. Got Corona and Miller in the fridge oh got a grill, still not finding happiness here despite all that.[/quote]

Old 09-22-2010, 07:18 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annajolie View Post
What happens when you lose your job for one of any reasons (because as the adage goes nothing is certain but death and taxes) and you lose your house and pool and boat, would you still be happy.....you keep reiterating those same items. If tables were completely turned on you would you still love it all? If you lived in a shack with a beater for a car, and had to collect unemployment, would you. If you could not find a job for a year or two would you? Would you do what others do and relocate? This, thank God ,has not happened to me, but it may have happened to many here in Florida. As for me I have been screwed over by Floridians and all set. I am presently living on a canal with an inground pool watching tv on a 52", still not happy being here. Got Corona and Miller in the fridge oh got a grill, still not finding happiness here despite all that.
[/quote]

So... what are you thinking will make you happy? Moving alone will never make one happy. I think the first couple months of moving has the opposite effect, its a stressful time when you first move.

Quote:
Well my husband and I are wanting to move to clearwater this is where my husbands family is from i have never been im just a cajun girl from neworlean after reading this it reallys scard me i have four children and wanted a better life for them away from louisiana I hope now im not making a mistake
Clearwater is not bad. There are good parts and bad parts. There are also area around Clearwater that are good. Since you have 3 kids, I would pick where I live based on the school. Unfortunately with that said, in Pinellas County, your kids may not be able to go to their neighborhood school for various reasons.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:11 AM

27,213 posts, read 43,910,956 times
I've been all over Clearwater looking at places to buy and didn't run into any of the "bad areas" people are referring to. For those that think Clearwater is bad you ought to come out of your treeless, far-flung cookie cutter subdivisions more often in my opinion. Come up to Philadelphia, I'll show you bad!

Old 09-22-2010, 09:46 AM

707 posts, read 1,466,585 times
There is no true ghetto of clearwater but some bad areas would be places like Greenwood Ave (MLK), Wyatt st, and some places near clearwater/st pete airport.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:05 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,303,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
There is no true ghetto of clearwater but some bad areas would be places like Greenwood Ave (MLK), Wyatt st, and some places near clearwater/st pete airport.
Exactly. And honestly, you probably wouldn't wind up in these neighborhoods unless you tried.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:12 PM

65 posts, read 354,551 times
Thumbs up Look First, Then Leap, No Problem

Honestly,

If a person just takes the time to come down here and look around before plunking down money on a place to live, you will find a place that is just what you are looking for. Well, except that if you want to live in a hi-rise with a subway station nearby you will have trouble finding that combination in Clearwater!

Come on down, ya'll, and take a look. You'll love it!

Clearwater Daily Photo
Clearwater Beach Daily Photo

Old 09-22-2010, 11:31 PM

85 posts, read 233,779 times
Quote:
I can relate to this one. I lived in New Orleans and the crime scared the heck out of me. The humidity didn't thrill me either.
Here's what I've found since moving to this area. Clearwater does have a lot more crime than the bedroom communities. I looked at Clearwater and talked to people who lived on streets with houses I was interested in.....then moved on to another area to look.
Here's what you're going to find...it's going to seem like a desert to you after living in New Orleans. We already have our windows open in the morning and evenings and my skin is drying out from the lower humidity. We are already into what I consider Fall....although people that are used to the area might not say that same thing.
I lasted 4 years in New Orleans, then went to Corpus Christi, Tx, and then came here north of Clearwater. THIS I call paradise! So much less humidity, low electric bills, the houses are cheaper to buy, and oh the beauty of the area. We bought property with a lake on it and had a huge screened in patio put in to watch the birds over the lake and you'll be stunned at the different ones. Some areas you can back up to woods and see animals, some you can be on a lake and see birds, or you can get a house without any of that.
Check the rates for changing your cars over to Florida plates. OUCH! We paid 1,000 for 2 cars but if you want a vanity plate along with it, it's only 15.00 extra.
In the subdivision we bought in, they're still up in arms because in the summer a house was broken into. Most people just leave their garages open so they can be out there and visit with the neighbors and forget about them and leave them open all day. They can be home or not home and feel safe. I'm used to places with alarms on the houses and here we don't have that and I don't miss it at all.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,890 times
I will never go to clearwater again....me n my friends was jump last nite n the police was no were to be found......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay