Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 07:31 PM

3 posts, read 10,754 times

Advertisements

Hello. I just graduated as a licensed practical nurse in April and passed my licensing exam. I just moved to Tampa and have been looking for a job. Everyone told me I would not have a problem finding a job as a nurse, but that has been proven to be untrue. I have applied to several places but they all want atleast 6 months of experience. If anyone knows of any facilities or agencies that will hire a new graduate LPN with no experience in the healthcare field PLEASE let me know. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 06:06 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,137,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlim0560 View Post
Hello. I just graduated as a licensed practical nurse in April and passed my licensing exam. I just moved to Tampa and have been looking for a job. Everyone told me I would not have a problem finding a job as a nurse, but that has been proven to be untrue. I have applied to several places but they all want atleast 6 months of experience. If anyone knows of any facilities or agencies that will hire a new graduate LPN with no experience in the healthcare field PLEASE let me know. Thanks.
You may want to try agency, don't know if Nurse's Choice is still around but they may be able to place you house sitting. Jacaranda Manor in St. Pete, it 's kind of a rough place but may take with little or no experience.

Maybe try the jail system Hillsborough or Pinellas, they use agency and a lot of nurse's aren't beating the door down to get in there.....safety issue probably, but at PCJ there was always a Correction Officer with you no matter where you where. Most of the job was med pass through a slot in the cell door with Co standing there...pretty safe. Menorah Manor St. Pete was another one.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:12 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Possibly volunteer at a hospital to get your experience and also show them that you have the skills/abilities to be a good nurse.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:39 AM

12 posts, read 25,867 times
Ill be graduating with my lpn in dec n I will also be moving to tampa, sorry to hear u are having problems finding a job as a lpn in a city area. Is it that they want experience as lpn for 6months or just overall healthcare experience for six months?

Old 06-20-2011, 11:57 AM

Thank you so much for your responses. I will definately try those places. To xxldydiamondsxx, most of the places requiring experience want 6 months or a year experience as an LPN. I think having some experience just in the healthcare field would help me a little though, compared to my lack of any experience. Thanks again!

Old 06-20-2011, 02:32 PM

12 posts, read 25,867 times
Oh okay well that is defiantly good to know before I make my move ,Thanks for the info.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:00 PM

186 posts, read 377,631 times
Isn't the usa grand? You finish school to work, then are told you can't work cause you are new. Nice. Did you find anything? I work for Maxim home health, night shift.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:26 PM

It definately sucks to go to school for a year, have my hopes high, then be turned down for so many jobs. I called a nursing home from one of the previous posts and they say they hire new grads so I am going to apply there tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed. My dad worked for maxim as well. I see, on their job posts, that they require a year of experience. I think I will have much better luck once I get a year of nursing under my belt... I just need to find someone who's willing to give me the opportunity to work.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:08 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didi768 View Post
Isn't the usa grand? You finish school to work, then are told you can't work cause you are new. Nice..
Welcome to the real world.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:36 PM

186 posts, read 377,631 times
Can your dad get you into Maxim? Can they make an exception? He will get a bonus if you sign on too. Privately message me if you'd like. Love to talk more. I'm thinking about going back to a nursing home too. Which one are you applying at? I know about a couple of them but man if you can't pass meds super fast it sucks. They pay really good though. I want evenings!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay