U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 07:17 PM

4 posts, read 12,763 times

Advertisements

I live in Tampa on a small lot with a house and NO POOL.
For the past five years our water bill was about $100 average.
I think the highest was just less than $200.

Four months ago I replaced some sod in the back yard and we had to use the sprinklers a bit more on three zones to help it get started and this was okay per the water dept. It is a small back yard.

Yesterday we received a big one= $1515 bill. It said that in May we used 216,000 gallons. This is crazy. I think it is the same as 7000 gallons a day or 12 swimming pools filled completely.

They said it is on ourside of the meter so I should call a plumber.
I did and they were out today and found just one drip in a shower head and no leaks. I am not sure what to do next?

I have read that sometimes they delay the readings so they can tier your payment on a catch up basis and you have to pay as much as 9 times as much on the level used. Any ideas on how I should get this resolved without complications or a major battle? I have four kids and this is a big deal to me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 07:23 PM

27,798 posts, read 28,383,782 times
Wow - that's outrageous. Good luck. I wonder what your neighbors are paying and if they're having the same issue.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:26 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,565,280 times
If you live in the city of tampa, you are screwed, there have been reports of this stuff going on for months, google it.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:45 PM

18,755 posts, read 12,308,321 times
The city needs to make money since home taxes have come down. Just a way to rip people off.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:52 PM

8,481 posts, read 6,293,883 times
I have been hearing of this w/ electric also in other areas. I mean that is just plain crazy. You would have to have some massive leakage. This may become a legal issue because they kinda have you over a barrel.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:57 PM

769 posts, read 1,899,280 times
When we replaced sod in our small front yard 2 years ago we watered a lot for 2 months. Our normal bill was $70 and it was $300 for those 2 months. Perhaps they were estimating your bill for a few months and finally did a true reading so you're having to catch up. That happens in Pasco every once in a while. So the bill might be for a few months of extra usage, not just one.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:58 PM

15,964 posts, read 33,766,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanemike View Post
I live in Tampa on a small lot with a house and NO POOL.
For the past five years our water bill was about $100 average.
I think the highest was just less than $200.

Four months ago I replaced some sod in the back yard and we had to use the sprinklers a bit more on three zones to help it get started and this was okay per the water dept. It is a small back yard.

Yesterday we received a big one= $1515 bill. It said that in May we used 216,000 gallons. This is crazy. I think it is the same as 7000 gallons a day or 12 swimming pools filled completely.

They said it is on ourside of the meter so I should call a plumber.
I did and they were out today and found just one drip in a shower head and no leaks. I am not sure what to do next?

I have read that sometimes they delay the readings so they can tier your payment on a catch up basis and you have to pay as much as 9 times as much on the level used. Any ideas on how I should get this resolved without complications or a major battle? I have four kids and this is a big deal to me.
If you have a leak under your slab you have to call a special company to detect it, not a plumber. We had a leak under the slab but it was a pinhole and the bill was higher but nothing on that level. I have had main lines burst on older properties with bills of $800.00. Has that happened to you? It would have to be something like that for that kind of bill. Did your sprinkler lines burst? I never trust those irrigation systems.

Good luck.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:56 AM

235 posts, read 1,451,083 times
There is a small red triangle usually on top or beside the needle inside the meter housing, if it is moving and no one is running the water then you have a leak somewhere. Call me at 727-856-7791 and I will be more than happy to tell you what to look for and I also have a leak detection guy in Tampa.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:54 AM

26,863 posts, read 42,120,040 times
Go to small claims court and fight the bill...make sure you have all the proof you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay