Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 11:56 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
People compare them because everyone says they are both walkable.
That's pretty weak criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 12:01 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
People compare them because everyone says they are both walkable.
So is Downtown Tampa.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:02 PM
PDF

Quote:
If you make a claim, you should follow it up with examples.
As far as downtowns go: Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach. Miami also has some really vibrant areas. People always go OMG about Downtown St. Pete, and while I like it, I was never hugely impressed with it.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:13 PM

64 posts, read 78,438 times
I have visited Downtown Tampa a couple of times and though I am certainly no where near an expert on it (I joined this forum for relocation info just like many others), I can speak as a visitor and as a visitor only. The details I will leave to those who live there and go there frequently.

I was truly blown away at the cleanliness of the streets, the absence of hard-core traffic (if you are from or have visited any of the major cities in the U.S., you know what I mean). There was no non-stop honking, step-into-the-street-if-you-dare yellow cabs zooming and cutting off cars, hoards of people rushing past you. Granted, it is nice to visit a city that has that every now and then (excitement in the air always), but it can grow old after a while. The grit and the dirt and graffiti was not there. I remember looking out a window from the children's museum and being awestruck at the site below of the city. And I enjoyed walking around the streets. It was a pleasure. And

Mind you, this is coming from someone who has walked the New York City streets a thousand times. I loved the museums and places of culture of New York and its vibrancy. I loved hopping on the subway and going just about anywhere I want. I loved getting my pretzels and dirty water dogs from the corner vendors, but..... it is tiring.

I can't help but believe that Tampa is on the up-and-up and good things are a'coming. Those of you who are already there in its downtown and its suburbs, lucky folks!

Now, I have never been to St. Pete and I only visited the Amish area of Sarasota, so I certainly cannot add my thoughts about those places. However, I do know people who have visited both areas and love it.

Last edited by Getting_there; 02-07-2015 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: Forgot to say

Old 02-07-2015, 04:16 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting_there View Post
I have visited Downtown Tampa a couple of times and though I am certainly no where near an expert on it (I joined this forum for relocation info just like many others), I can speak as a visitor and as a visitor only. The details I will leave to those who live there and go there frequently.

I was truly blown away at the cleanliness of the streets, the absence of hard-core traffic (if you are from or have visited any of the major cities in the U.S., you know what I mean). There was no non-stop honking, step-into-the-street-if-you-dare yellow cabs zooming and cutting off cars, hoards of people rushing past you. Granted, it is nice to visit a city that has that every now and then (excitement in the air always), but it can grow old after a while. The grit and the dirt and graffiti was not there. I remember looking out a window from the children's museum and being awestruck at the site below of the city. And I enjoyed walking around the streets. It was a pleasure. And

Mind you, this is coming from someone who has walked the New York City streets a thousand times. I loved the museums and places of culture of New York and its vibrancy. I loved hopping on the subway and going just about anywhere I want. I loved getting my pretzels and dirty water dogs from the corner vendors, but..... it is tiring.

I can't help but believe that Tampa is on the up-and-up and good things are a'coming. Those of you who are already there in its downtown and its suburbs, lucky folks!

Now, I have never been to St. Pete and I only visited the Amish area of Sarasota, so I certainly cannot add my thoughts about those places. However, I do know people who have visited both areas and love it.
I

Thank you for your point of view, I agree with you! I live in Sarasota, and I love it, and I love St. Pete. However, Tampa is my home town and it has a lot going for it. For a young person, or anyone who wants some city vibrancy, this is a pretty good choice. It has been on the upswing under the current governor and major things are on the drawing board. People settling in or near the downtown now are very smart, I believe. Going to be a prime location in a few years.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:53 PM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting_there View Post

I wish Tampa was on the up-and-coming.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:48 AM

734 posts, read 920,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I wish Tampa was on the up-and-coming.
Downtown is. The rest of it, not so much.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:02 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,607,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington1 View Post
Moving from Pentagon city area of Arlington, Va. I can afford roughly $3k more or less a month rent. Which area fits better? Downtown St.petersburg or downtown Tampa. I am 35 yrs old. I live in a hipper part of Arlington,Va now. I like nicer higher end condo's and I like waterfront area's as well, but I definitely do not want a older crowd (no offense to the older crowd). I like nice restaurants, a busier atmosphere and clean living. I am willing to sacrifice for the right area. Waterfront is not a must. Honestly water is all around you in Tampa anyways and is only 20 minutes away regardless where you live..... I guess what I am saying is that I looking for a higher end area but with out losing the social interaction of a busier community.

Thanks in advance Tampa!!!!!
I suggest you take a trip down, because if you expect DC here, you're in for one big disappointment. (We visit DC often)...

I wouldn't pay $3000 in rent if you paid me tho, that's a waste of money...St. Pete has some nice condo buildings downtown that you may like, Tampa will drive you insane coming from DC...there is NOTHING to do there that comes close to 0.00000000001% of what DC has. Please come and visit, and visit at all hours of the day, and during business hours too.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:11 AM

734 posts, read 920,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
I suggest you take a trip down, because if you expect DC here, you're in for one big disappointment. (We visit DC often)...

I wouldn't pay $3000 in rent if you paid me tho, that's a waste of money...St. Pete has some nice condo buildings downtown that you may like, Tampa will drive you insane coming from DC...there is NOTHING to do there that comes close to 0.00000000001% of what DC has. Please come and visit, and visit at all hours of the day, and during business hours too.
Two things:

1) Not everyone moving here from DC will find it "insane." You visit DC much? Doesn't sound like you know anything about it. You are so dramatic.

2) You're responding to a post from over 3 years ago. Stop.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:26 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,607,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
Two things:

1) Not everyone moving here from DC will find it "insane." You visit DC much? Doesn't sound like you know anything about it. You are so dramatic.

2) You're responding to a post from over 3 years ago. Stop.
1) We visit DC often enough to know that if someone is moving here with the expectation to find all that diversity in entertainment, restaurants, vibrance, they will be highly disappointed. We used to live in Miami and are quite used to "diversity" in entertainment, dining etc, just like DC, and we find Tampa's "diversity" non existent when comparing it with the other two cities. IF someone is looking to scale down by a long shot, then Tampa fits the bill.

2. The thread was bumped up yesterday, look above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay