Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 2,813 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

First off, I've spent HOURS reading through posts in this forum. So helpful. Thank you so much! I want to ask a few questions to try to get some consolidated info.

I'm really considering moving my young family (two kids under 5) to the Tampa Bay area this year. I've got several questions. Please answer any you'd like:

1. Where are the growing, expanding areas of Tampa? I've heard a lot about "New Tampa" but where is that, specifically?
2. Where do young, professional, white-collar families live?
3. I know every large metro area has high-crime areas, so what areas of Tampa are safe?
4. We'll be needing schools soon, so what area has the best schools?
5. I'm a church guy, so I'm looking for good recommendations for churches. Preferably more contemporary style churches.

Thanks in advance guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 10:34 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
Where will you work? That plays into the decision.

As far as crime, you can forget about living in the entire city of Tampa city limits SOUTH of Bearss Ave, NORTH of Kennedy Blvd, EAST of Dale Mabry Ave. This is a large part of the actual City of Tampa corporate limits and there are a couple nice areas spread in there, but they are all surrounded by hood/ghetto/thugs.

New Tampa is ok, but traffic sucks and it's pretty cookie cutter. Brandon is OK, but again, traffic sucks. South Tampa has some nice places. NorthWest Hillsborough County has some nice places like Westchase area, Old Carrolwood, NorthDale. But it all depends where you work and how much of a commute you want to deal with. And your budget.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:46 AM

30,393 posts, read 21,215,773 times
If ya got the money then Danashores is the best area in Tampa.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:28 AM

769 posts, read 2,050,404 times
New Tampa is a very nice, safe, newer, upscale area with good schools. The traffic is bad because everyone wants to live there. Look specifically into Tampa Palms, Hunter's Green, Seven Oaks, Saddlebrook, and Brookside (the last 3 are actually on the Pasco County Side in Wesley Chapel but all very nice). All of the major roads in that area are being expanded so the traffic will not be a problem forever- actually the road construction is making it worse right now. Oh and if you want to, there are still subdivisions where you can build a brand new house.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
New Tampa is a very nice, safe, newer, upscale area with good schools. The traffic is bad because everyone wants to live there.
No, the traffic is bad because it was poorly planned. One road in, and one road out (Bruce B Downs).

Old 06-25-2011, 01:10 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,237,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
No, the traffic is bad because it was poorly planned. One road in, and one road out (Bruce B Downs).
Agreed!

As the others said, its all in where your going to work. There are plenty of good and bad areas spread out along the tampa bay area.. I personally like the northwest corner of Hillsborough (westchase, carrollwood, odessa etc.) but if your working in brandon, its a bit of a hike every day.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:52 PM

769 posts, read 2,050,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
They've already addressed that issue in some ways and continue to address it with the current projects. Telling someone not to move there because of traffic is ridiculous. Do you live in this area? It takes me 40-45 minutes to get to work all the way in Pinellas. The OP asked for growing, expanding white-collar areas. New Tampa perfectly fits that description. It's one of the few areas where you don't have a really nice white collar neighborhood and a much less desirable one 10 minutes away from each other, or where you don't have to tell people to stay on a specific side of the road to be in the nice part of town.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
They've already addressed that issue in some ways and continue to address it with the current projects. Telling someone not to move there because of traffic is ridiculous.
No it's not. It is a very important consideration for a lot of people. I will let that person decide, rather than let you speak for them, thanks...

Quote:
Do you live in this area? It takes me 40-45 minutes to get to work all the way in Pinellas. The OP asked for growing, expanding white-collar areas. New Tampa perfectly fits that description.
Quote:
It's one of the few areas where you don't have a really nice white collar neighborhood and a much less desirable one 10 minutes away from each other, or where you don't have to tell people to stay on a specific side of the road to be in the nice part of town.
Let me fix that for you: It's one of the few places inside THE CITY OF TAMPA CITY LIMITS that you have a nice white collar neighborhood and a much less desirable one 10 minutes away from each other. There are DOZENS of places in UNINCORPORATED HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY which meet your criteria. If you choose to live in the CITY LIMITS, then you deal with the baggage associated with it. I choose to NOT live inside the city limits.

New Tampa is hardly expanding. It's stuck in neutral like the rest of the metro area. I can give you many reasons why in case you cant figure it out for yourself. We also have already had the discussion about your supposed commute times. If the area was expanding, the Cypress Creek mall would have already been completed, not just sitting there as an empty tract of land, and all those other planned developments would have been started.

The bottom line is New Tampa has 1 way in and out of it, Bruce B Downs. You can consider SR56 as another way out IF you live sufficiently EAST/NORTH of I-75 or across the Pasco county line, otherwise, it's not an option. It does NOTHING for anyone who lives WEST of I-75.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:18 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
Quote:
They've already addressed that issue in some ways and continue to address it with the current projects.
How? Every single time they announce a project that would result in a new road or overpass, the residents of a subdivision moan and complain until the project is shelved. I would never live in New Tampa for a variety of reasons, but traffic, while not my number one gripe, is certainly near the top.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
How? Every single time they announce a project that would result in a new road or overpass, the residents of a subdivision moan and complain until the project is shelved. I would never live in New Tampa for a variety of reasons, but traffic, while not my number one gripe, is certainly near the top.
They made that flyover, maybe that's what he is talking about, lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay