U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 08:33 PM

3 posts, read 6,563 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family is looking to move to the St. Pete area when our son graduates HS next May 2012. Can anyone tell me what family friendly cities that would be best to look at for housing? We have been to Clearwater Beach a few years back and of course Disney etc. but we don't really know what city would be the best fit for our family. We plan to make a trip down in a few months to check things out but any input would be appreciated. Thank you!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 02:16 AM

35,319 posts, read 44,571,387 times
If looking in St Pete most of the nice neighborhoods are north of the downtown core and extend all the way out to the beaches .Anything north or west of the line should be where to concentrate your search..
5th Ave NE to 49th St S - Google Maps

Old 07-09-2011, 10:47 PM

3 posts, read 6,563 times
thank you!

Old 07-09-2011, 11:21 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,474,033 times
If it has a SOUTH in it, it's best to avoid it.

I would say nothing SOUTH of 22nd Ave N up until you get to about 66th street, then it's OK. Most of the rest of St. Pete is OK. Old N.E. StPete is the best, but it's doubtful you can afford it.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:21 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,661,258 times
but then south has Pinellas Point which has some lovely homes in, so dont totally discount it, I have friends who live there and its fabulous.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:50 PM

6,697 posts, read 7,287,664 times
I looked into buying a condo in Waterside for my son to live in while at Stetson.While the view and the price was great the trip into the area was ...well lets say not something I wanted my son doing late at night!

Old 07-10-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I looked into buying a condo in Waterside for my son to live in while at Stetson.While the view and the price was great the trip into the area was ...well lets say not something I wanted my son doing late at night!
Exactly. South St. Pete is ghetto. Even though there are a couple nice areas, to get to them, you have to go through the hood, and where do you think those thugs rob/rape/pillage?

Old 07-10-2011, 05:25 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,263,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Really? Which route did you take?

I live in South St. Pete and I love it. My neighborhood is one of the safest in the city. We have a very active civic association. Raping and pillaging is very rare here

It's the city, folks. There are good areas and bad areas. I do not feel unsafe driving to and from wherever I need to go at any time of day or night. I would not wander around on side streets in Midtown (which is the ACTUAL bad area~~ NOT South St. Pete) at night, but that's one of the things you pay attention to when you choose to live in an urban area. Stay on the main streets when you drive through Midtown, and you'll be fine.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:10 PM

Where do you live (give closest cross streets) and I will give you an opinion.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:27 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,263,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Where do you live (give closest cross streets) and I will give you an opinion.
That's OK. I don't need your opinion. You've already said South St. Pete is ghetto, aside from a couple select areas. And I never give a location on the internet, aside from S. St. Pete.

Interesting (and 100% true) story; I took one of my kids to play with a friend that I hadn't met before. We went to her house. I stayed, because I don't know the mom, and I got a chance to talk with her while the kids played.

I was a little nervous at this house, because even though the coveted "North" was found after the street name, it was darn close to Midtown and didn't feel safe at all. The mom was going on and on about how she wanted to buy another house and where she wanted to buy it and how she could never EVER live where WE live, because that's South St. Pete. She wondered how we could tolerate it and why in the world we would ever choose to live in such a horrible place.

She decided she wanted to show me her "dream house" and whipped out her laptop. She pulled up the house and I said, "Um, that's in my neighborhood." She said "No it's NOT! It says NORTH xxx street!!!!!!".

Well, it didn't, it said xx street south, and she continued to freak out when I showed her the map and the relation of the house she loves to my house. Suddenly it was all a scam and it must not be a real listing and she would never EVER even consider it!! It's SO VERY unsafe!!

It was a little funny, but really kind of sad, and really indicative of the oddly contorted view many people have of South St. Pete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay