Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 05:00 PM

670 posts, read 1,278,185 times

Advertisements

I am 5 classes away from finishing up my AA at a local Jr. College, however, I struggle with Math and they want me to take 3 Math classes to graduate. I have taken 1 already. I am considering going to another school because this Math is killing me! Any suggestions? Any other schools that may not have such stringent requirements that are reputable? Thanks for ANY help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 06:32 PM

295 posts, read 1,450,498 times
Math up to statistics or at least college algebra is pretty much required at every accredited college. I recommend getting a tutor who can help you get past the phobia. I am pretty sure you can browse the want ads or Craigslist for local tutors.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:39 PM

Thanks gumbyfly! I have a MAJOR phobia! I mean...seriously!

Old 07-08-2011, 07:13 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,204,742 times
Sorry that you'r struggling with math.

The best advise I can give you is to meet it head on. I hated statistics (not math) at the begining until one day I decided to hit head on and grab that thing by the horn, that's the only way.

Get books such as math, or calculus or stat for Dumies. Sometime some people explain it better than others. The same with books. Don't get me wrong. The best thing you can do is that start with simple ones AND with examples so that you appreciate it. The reference that you get at school are not necessarily the best. Also, don't just read it. Work with experiment and example in excel or something and see how results change. That's the only that get you going and be creative.

Good luck

Old 07-09-2011, 09:34 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Unfortunately, math is a subject that builds on itself. If this person has had a lifelong problem with it, it'll be difficult to tackle the subject at the college level without remedial work, wouldn't you say? Do you have an opportunity to discuss your issue w/ the instructor - maybe he/she has seen the problem before and can recommend additional help via self instructional DVDs, or workbooks.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:02 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
This is a state requirement that you will have to confront whether it's at this CC or another.

For nearly every degree issued, I am almost positive that you have to take nine hours of math (three classes.)

If you're at HCC, they have great tutoring programs. I can't speak for any other CCs in the area, but I would definitely talk to someone in the Math department to see what they have available for student assistance.

Community colleges are intended to help students who are marginalized in some way, (not saying you are!) and as a result have a lot of resources in place to help struggling students. I am sure if you do some asking around, you'll find all the help you need to get through your math classes.

RM

Old 07-09-2011, 06:57 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,924 times
Don't give up. Use the tutoring programs and keep up with the work as you go.

It took my dh 10 years to get through school and it was because he didn't keep up on the math classes. He had to take them a few times over and waste several thousand dollars (he kept withdrawing when it got tough). When he finally decided to buckle down and get it over with and use the tutors, it wasn't such a big deal.

Only 2 more classes. Just power through.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:28 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
A few of the nurses in my BS program struggled greatly w/ math (they were educated in England, BTW). They were so frightened of the subject that one actually had a major anxiety/depression attack - felt really bad for her. You could see it coming - eventually she got through it - and math is pretty much a job requirement in that field. (no way around it).

Good luck

Old 07-10-2011, 07:48 PM

All,
Thank you tremendously for the support! Geesh, I watched Joel Olsteen this morning and his word was "For those of you that may be in school and are thinking of quitting, dont give up. When the intensity seems unbearable, thats when you know you almost have the victory". I am going to call the school tomorrow to find out what tutoring services can be offered! I have my second wind!

Old 07-10-2011, 07:49 PM

Same here Maggi! Thanks! This math had me feeling so anxious and literally sick a week ago! I will get it done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
Don't give up. Use the tutoring programs and keep up with the work as you go.

It took my dh 10 years to get through school and it was because he didn't keep up on the math classes. He had to take them a few times over and waste several thousand dollars (he kept withdrawing when it got tough). When he finally decided to buckle down and get it over with and use the tutors, it wasn't such a big deal.

Only 2 more classes. Just power through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay