Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 02:10 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,580 times

Advertisements

I decided to start a new thread since we've pretty well decided to find a place in Dunedin. We will be snowbirds, wintering probably from December or January to March. In my previous thread, we also considered Sarasota, but Dunedin just seemed right to us. We're going back in February to do a serious property hunt.

Since this is a winter pied-â-terre, we are looking at a modest 2br abode, perhaps a 55+ community, depending on what we find.

We have decided that our top priority is to be walking distance to the little downtown of Dunedin. We've also considered that we can ride bikes there, so this is part of the equation. To get this location for a reasonable price, we are willing to compromise and forego some of our other needs. We are now considering pet-free communities, for example, since we don't currently have a dog, and our cat is likely to stay in Canada for the winter.

It also means probably an older, more modest place. We saw some nice condos out in the Countryside area, for example, that had great facilities, but the area's just too isolated and car-dependent for our tastes.

Right now I'm looking at a few communities that we did not actually look at when we visited in December, Patrician Oaks, and Douglas Arms, both slightly east of the hospital, apparently contiguous with each other. Any comments on either of these?

Any other comments or suggestions, or advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 04:36 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
The area is OK. Further down in Patricia past virginia doesn't look nice to me. I actually biked a lot passing those areas at different times. If you come east towards keene, that's even better. The most important thing is to know all the problems that comes with condo buying. Otherwise, the area is safe and sound as far as I could see.

Good luck

Old 12-28-2010, 06:47 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
The Edgewater Arms on Bayshore Blvd would be a perfect place. Close to downtown and right on the water. I think its 55 too.+

Old 12-29-2010, 06:18 AM

Thanks, we looked there, but it's out of our league, price-wise. We're looking at well under $100K. Also looking at low carrying costs, since we'll onlly be there for about 4 months a year.

As I said to my husband after our recent luxury cruise, in the case of this property, the "ship" will not be the destination, but the ports will be. I.e., Dunedin will be the highlight. Obviously that being said we want something pleasant to live in with some nice neighbours. But not looking for luxury.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
The area is OK. Further down in Patricia past virginia doesn't look nice to me. I actually biked a lot passing those areas at different times. If you come east towards keene, that's even better. The most important thing is to know all the problems that comes with condo buying. Otherwise, the area is safe and sound as far as I could see.

Good luck
Thanks for the comment. Having done lots more research, I can now interpret your comments somewhat. I'm not looking south of Virginia in that area, although our agent has said that further east towards Keene is not as desirable, so who knows. The proof will be when we see these places next month.

We're also looking over at Loch Lomond Estates over at New York Ave. and Lyndhurst. They are townhouses and look pretty nice, and seem to allow pets.

I'm very aware of the pitfalls of condo buying, and we are being very cautious.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:41 AM

494 posts, read 1,676,767 times
You might be better off to rent from a financial standpoint. Check the reserves and cashflow of the condo association before buying.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:38 AM

I can't imagine that renting would be better over a 10 or 15 year period, unless perhaps we could get a seasonal rental. Perhaps somewhat cheaper, but not nearly as satisfying as having our own place. But thanks for the suggestion.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:46 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
Thanks for the comment. Having done lots more research, I can now interpret your comments somewhat. I'm not looking south of Virginia in that area, although our agent has said that further east towards Keene is not as desirable, so who knows. The proof will be when we see these places next month.

We're also looking over at Loch Lomond Estates over at New York Ave. and Lyndhurst. They are townhouses and look pretty nice, and seem to allow pets.

I'm very aware of the pitfalls of condo buying, and we are being very cautious.
Are you kidding me? Does your realtor live there? What makes it undesirable? Just cross Keene on Virginia and you have house that are 300K and up, nice shady place with all houses with some "character" and road side for biking and walking. If I could afford, I would be living there--central location and great place.

Regarding your new place, I don't know exactly the neighborhood but getting closer to 580 on that part is not applealing to me. Just drive through all the neighborhoods and you will get the feel.

Good luck

Old 01-28-2011, 09:06 AM

No, my realtor lives in Tarpon, but he knows us, and knows what we want, so I think his comment may very well have been in that spirit--we will find out when we go back in 3 weeks or so. And I said *towards* Keene, not east of it--that's way too far east for us. I was talking about Heather Hills and Heather Lakes subdivisions.

Yes, I don't want to be next to 580 either, although fairly close doesn't bother me.

We will be *walking* these prospective neighbourhoods, since having walking/biking access to Dunedin village itself is paramount to us.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:50 AM

48 posts, read 189,584 times
There is a very pleasant group of snowbirds that hangs around near the Boxcar, a little coffee place in downtown Dunedin. Last March, when we were toying with the idea of moving to the area, they were happy to share their experiences. One of the couples was renting at Patrician Oaks and was very happy there. They mentioned that the minimum rental is four months. They stay less than that, but said they were happy to pay the full amount because the cost was reasonable. They had been staying there for many years and liked the place a lot.

Patrician Oaks looks good --- modest, but attractive, with a nice little pool. And it is very close to downtown. We weren't able to consider it because we have pets. We bought a ranch house about a mile north of the center of downtown, and enjoy biking all around the area.

I think you will really enjoy Dunedin.

Good luck in finding a place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay