U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 12:40 PM

9 posts, read 8,810 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I understand you must get tons of people like me daily but I don't know where else to go in need of community information.

I live in New Jersey and my father is currently in the market for a vacation condo. We've been in debate for a few months on where we want to purchase a condo. We started in Tampa, then went to West Palm Beach, then Clearwater - now we found ourselves in the St. Pete Beach area, more specifically near Treasure Island and Isle of Capri.

You may laugh at the idea of us not wanting to really spend over 100k especially since we narrowed it down to pretty expensive areas. Well with that being said, we have found a condo in each of those areas ranging from 80-100k that are 2-3 minutes from the beach - a walking distance.

I'm here because I want to know about the areas a little bit. How would you rate the crime if there is any? How tourist-y are they in particular calendar slots? Would you considered those areas secluded from city-ish strips for fast food, groceries and things alike?

I want to say In advance that I appreciate all and any input. Have a nice day!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 01:06 PM

305 posts, read 547,822 times
If your looking for a vacation condo, I would recomend Sarasota and Bradenton (Bradenton Beach area).

Old 07-11-2011, 01:18 PM

Thanks for the input. Could you reccomend any other areas? I just wanna see whats out there. I couldn't find anything in our price range for Bradenton Beach except 1 place that doesn't seem big enough :/

Old 07-11-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcutclarity View Post
Thanks for the input. Could you reccomend any other areas? I just wanna see whats out there. I couldn't find anything in our price range for Bradenton Beach except 1 place that doesn't seem big enough :/
I live in NY so I couldn't tell exactly which condo's to look at. Sarasota has a lot of Beaches. Any of the keys would be perfect (Seista Key, Longboat key, etc...). I'm not sure of Venice, but you could look there too. All have really nice beaches and not to far from downtown Sarasota. If I had my choice I would live in Sarasota over anywhere in Pinellas county. You should post this question in the Sarasota forum to.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:33 PM

How would you rate something like Indian Rocks Beach? I'm looking up and down the Gulf coast but don't wanna go north of Clearwater.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcutclarity View Post
How would you rate something like Indian Rocks Beach? I'm looking up and down the Gulf coast but don't wanna go north of Clearwater.
Don't know much about it. My in-laws live in Bradenton and been to the beaches around there. I've only been to Clearwater beaches and from what I can tell, Bradenton and Sarasota have better beaches. Siesta Key was listed as the #1 Beach this year by Dr. Beach.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:44 PM

Thanks for everything!

Old 07-11-2011, 01:45 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,470,609 times
I would strongly suggest that your dad come down for a visit, after you've narrowed it down to 2-3 areas. That's what we did, first a brief visit to reconnoitre areas, then a second visit to seriously choose a property.

We chose Dunedin over Sarasota, but everybody has their own ideas--ours is not a beach condo; at least in Dunedin this last winter, $100K could not get you anything on the water in Dunedin. Lots under that, but just not near the beaches.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:22 PM

817 posts, read 2,022,229 times
Only a generic comment, but if you're within 2-3 minutes walking distance from the beach in any of those areas, crime won't be a major issue. Tourists, however, will...there will be some, maybe a lot...but that comes with the territory in Florida.

Actually, I've thought about a beach condo like you describe...any chance you'd send me a link to what you've found? I'll share more info on your choices in exchange for letting me know what you've found. You can hit me up via PM...and no worries about stealing your finds...I'm a good 2-3 years away from making a move.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:48 PM

181 posts, read 299,643 times
Hi there. I live about an hour south of Treasure Island. It is a beautiful beach - more secluded than Clearwater or Sarasota area beaches. It will also be more natural.. so you may find occasional drift wood, sea grass and critters like sea stars and stingrays. Some people like that and some don't. They have mangrove forrest (unique to FL I think, trees that grow in the saltwater) and canoeing there too.

You might be getting a good deal because they've just decided to let camping happen on Treasure Island in the state park areas and the idea of campers/RV sites is driving away some people. I don't think it would affect you in a condo unless you were planning on using the public access at the state park.

The best overlooked beaches are on Anna Maria Island. Absolutely gorgeous white sand beaches, not very crowed, good amenities nearby without feeling touristy. The public beaches are Anna Maria Beach, Manattee, Bradenton that's is where we go most of the time. If we're trying to see some wildlife then we go to Fort Desoto or Treasure Island.

As far as safety, for Treasure Island itself will be fine, but if you miss your exit and land in St. Pete it can be very rough. The interstate exit will bypass the rough areas and take you to the beach but if you miss it those exits close to Treasure Island are some of the roughest I'd say in the Tampa/St. Pete area.

If you want to do a little more than just beach - Treasure Island or Sarasota would be better than Anna Maria Island. As they, Treasure Island more so being in close proximity to Tampa & St. Pete, have museums, theatres, touristy stuff (Bush Gardens, Jungle Gardens) spring training (baseball), nightlife. Just becareful if you go into St. Pete or Tampa/Ybor rather at night that you avoid the couple of sketchy areas.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay