Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 03:31 AM

4,091 posts, read 5,978,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbyfly View Post
Pedestrians and drivers are both to blame. People are supposed to cross with the light (or pedestrian signal if available) at marked intersections. Funny how that is completely ignored here in Brandon. People will wait in the crosswalk without pressing the button to cross, then just walk out when the oncoming traffic has the right of way. I see this numerous times every day.
Drivers also never use their turn signals here, and will stop in the crosswalk so a pedestrian can't even see the light on the other side of the street. Their right-on-red is so much more important than any pedestrian. I have almost been run over several times by people making right turns on red lights. The drivers are looking left for oncoming traffic, and have no intention of looking for a pedestrian in the crosswalk. They may not even slow down until they are past the crosswalk.
The drivers here in Brandon are moronic. I'm convinced. Someone honked at me the other day because I walked in front of their moving car when I had a walk light. He promptly got the finger.

I've taken on a new idea. I'll cross when the light is on "walk." If I get hit, I'll sue, and if I die, my family will sue. We'll see if it was worth them getting to Starbucks 10 seconds sooner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 10:05 PM

58 posts, read 147,364 times
Many of these pedestrians are to blame, though. I can't count the number of times I have seen a pedestrians doing stupid things:

jay-walking across the street when there is a green light
walking/biking in the actual street
etc., etc.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:10 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,268,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyice View Post
etc., etc.
You're supposed to bike on the street, not the sidewalk. And where are you supposed to walk if there is no sidewalk? That being said, a lot of people don't realize that, if there is no sidewalk, you're supposed to walk facing oncoming traffic.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:29 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,878,936 times
Exactly, you are supposed to bike on the street with traffic, and walk facing traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
You're supposed to bike on the street, not the sidewalk. And where are you supposed to walk if there is no sidewalk? That being said, a lot of people don't realize that, if there is no sidewalk, you're supposed to walk facing oncoming traffic.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:38 AM

16 posts, read 37,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyice View Post
Many of these pedestrians are to blame, though. I can't count the number of times I have seen a pedestrians doing stupid things:

etc., etc.
People on bikes are not PEDESTRIANS. They are traffic, and are entitled to take the lane as if they were driving a car.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:19 AM

357 posts, read 796,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkyfantastic View Post
People on bikes are not PEDESTRIANS. They are traffic, and are entitled to take the lane as if they were driving a car.
Tell that to the Highway Patrol when you try to ride a bike on the interstate.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:27 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,268,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozlo View Post
You're splitting hairs. Bikes, golf carts, ATVs, horse-drawn buggies, and certain types of scooters aren't allowed on freeways. Bikes are allowed on city streets and counted as vehicles.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:57 AM

872 posts, read 1,705,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
The drivers here in Brandon are moronic. I'm convinced. Someone honked at me the other day because I walked in front of their moving car when I had a walk light. He promptly got the finger.

I've taken on a new idea. I'll cross when the light is on "walk." If I get hit, I'll sue, and if I die, my family will sue. We'll see if it was worth them getting to Starbucks 10 seconds sooner.
Well said. Mybe the a$$holes will figure out the ten seconds saved by plowing into someone is not worth a life.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:47 PM

16 posts, read 37,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozlo View Post
Bicycles are obviously not allowed on the Interstate (which also probably doesn't have sidewalks OR pedestrians).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay