U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2007, 03:37 AM

31 posts, read 70,904 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are both school administrators and are planning to retire (both of us have 30+ years in education). We want to move to Florida and teach a few years. We currently live in the midwest and are very tired of the cold weather, but we are not ready to stop being in education. We have ruled out south Florida, but other than that, we are open to suggestions. How about Tampa or surrounding areas (Pasco County, Sarasota, or Manatee)? We have heard schools might be closed in Pinellas county due to shrinking enrollment? We want to live no more than 30-45 minutes from a beach. Any thoughts? How far inland would we have to be to somewhat dodge the high homeowners' insurance and taxes? We are prepared to pay higher than we do now. What is considered a "cold snap" in the winter? How about a budget of $250-270 for a home? We hear Florida definitely needs teachers and we have talked with a few recruiters, but would like to hear from others. Are there areas in the state that are growing faster? Thanks in advance for your time!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 06:57 AM

15,860 posts, read 33,257,181 times
Polk County needs teachers, and they are one of the few counties in Florida with a BOOMING school enrollment and a huge budget for schools. This year they gave all their teachers a very nice raise. Cost of living here is great - low price housing, taxes and insurance. Lots of amenities too. We just moved to Lakeland, which is the jewel in Polk County's crown. Lakeland is a town of about 100,000 in the city limits, but the metro area is much larger, and it is between the larger cities of Tampa and Orlando.

The rub for you is that it is almost the center of the state, therefore much further from the beaches, probably and hour and a half. So there is the tradeoff. But it's a great place to live, IMO.

A "cold snap" would usually mean we get to freezing or below, doesn't happen often and doesn't last very long.

Good luck.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:39 AM

133 posts, read 502,172 times
Yes, you are right - Pinellas County just announced closing some schools as a result of low enrollment. That is one of the counties that would be close to the beach. You can live in Hillsborough County and teach and you would only be 30-45 minutes away from most of the beaches in Pinellas County. I have been a teacher in Hillsborough County since we moved here three years ago. I decided to take a leave of absence to focus on our real estate business. I know that Hillsborough County is always looking for teachers. Southern Hillsborough County (Apollo Beach, Gibsonton, etc.) is a growing area that they are building schools based on new enrollment. You could check into that area - then you would be close to beaches as well.

We live in Lutz - and for us to go to Clearwater Beach in Pinellas County it takes us around 45 minutes to 1 hr depending on traffic. You can choose to live west of Lutz in Carrollwood, Westchase - and you would be closer to your 30-45 minutes trip time to the beach.

I am not up to date on Manatee County schools - but I can tell you they have beautiful beaches there as well.

Best of luck to you - if you need any additional help, please let me know.

Thanks!
Tina

Old 08-10-2007, 08:41 AM

133 posts, read 502,172 times
Odessa and Palm Harbor would be areas to look into as well.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:30 AM

31 posts, read 70,904 times
Thanks to both of you for your replies. Is Winterhaven in Polk County? We have relatives who live there and in Tampa. I did look at the website for Polk and it looks very interesting. We have this school year and my hope is that we could possibly know we have positions in April or May for the next school year. We plan to make quick trips throughout the year. Our first one is planned for October where we hope to meet school personnel from several counties.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:00 AM

15,860 posts, read 33,257,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Teacher View Post
Thanks to both of you for your replies. Is Winterhaven in Polk County? We have relatives who live there and in Tampa. I did look at the website for Polk and it looks very interesting. We have this school year and my hope is that we could possibly know we have positions in April or May for the next school year. We plan to make quick trips throughout the year. Our first one is planned for October where we hope to meet school personnel from several counties.
Yes, Winter Haven is in Polk County.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:41 AM

20 posts, read 82,159 times
I'm currently teaching in Pinellas county and I love it! Plus, you're only about 15 minutes away from some type of beach! I do know that they are looking for more experienced teachers here so you may want to check us out also.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:33 AM

1,939 posts, read 5,773,002 times
I teach and live in Manatee county and can tell you that EAST bradenton is beautiful. Its not too far from the beaches and they need teachers. They also need subs desperately, many of the schools are A rated and the taxes are affordable. Watch out for CDD communities though, we moved from Chicago last year and were almost sucker punched! CDD communities, look into them long and hard!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or