Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 11:43 AM

4 posts, read 10,405 times

Advertisements

I really want to attend the University of South Florida as a freshman for the Fall of 2012. I'm from Ohio. I have a 3.9 unweighted GPA and a 26 on my ACT. I'm in my school's band and head of my section. I'm also a part of Big Brothers Big Sisters. For my senior year I'm taking courses such as Dual Credit Calculus/Physics, Dual Credit English, Spanish 4 and Western Civ.

Do you believe I have a good chance at getting into this university? Also, what are more things I could do that would help me? I want to get into the Honors College, and I know I have to get my ACT up about 3 points. If you're in the Honors College or are an OOS student or a recipient of the USF Green and Gold scholarship, I'd like to know what your GPA/ACT ect were.

Also, what is the campus like? Being from Ohio, I doubt I'm going to be able to go on a college tour :/ Is it a newer campus? Are there more than just fast food places to eat? (Healthy foods that people on a diet would eat) What Is the Rec Center like? Big/small/new equipment/old equipment/pool? ect. What is the city of Tampa like? I heard it can be a pretty scary place haha. Also my sister tried to tell me that almost ALL Floridians speak spanish.. which I know is bull crap so what is the diversity like?

Finally, is there anything someone whos never been to Florida should know? Any advice? This is a lot of stuff but it'd be a huge help! Opinions from current students are especially helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 02:01 PM

265 posts, read 973,131 times
I'm a grad student at USF. It's a good school with a positive reputation locally and within the state of Florida. It's national reputation isn't great but USF is clearly on the rise.

In the big scheme of things in Florida the premiere public university is UF followed closely by FSU(Noles and Gators can debate if they want). The second tier would consist of USF and UCF.

With your academic background I can assure you that you would be considered and probably accepted for undergraduate studies.

As for the scholarships, I cant help you there..

The campus is large and relatively new. Keep in mind that USF has only been around for just over 50 years. You will not see the historic buildings, dorms, and whatnot that you might see in some of the SEC, Big 10, or ACC schools. The student body tops 50,000 people making it one of the largest Universities on the planet and within the Top 10 in the U.S.

USF is located in one of busier areas of Tampa, so finding eateries and entertainment wont be an obstacle.

There are areas of Tampa where knowing Spanish could be beneficial; however, English is undoubtedly the chosen language here. Miami on the otherhand is a different story..

I'm sure some other members will have some insights for you as well..

Old 07-19-2011, 11:26 AM

Thank you for the info! I've heard a lot about USF being on the rise, especially in their football program Could you tell me what the weather is like during the school year?

Old 07-19-2011, 12:23 PM

265 posts, read 973,131 times
Hot and humid during the spring and summer, mild and pleasant during the fall and winter. You'll be hard pressed to find a nicer climate in the country...

Old 07-19-2011, 12:38 PM

Awesome! Any weather is better than Ohio's weather.. extremely harsh cold winters aren't my thing thanks for all the information!

Old 07-19-2011, 01:07 PM

100 posts, read 366,341 times
wb12Jacqui, I would say pretty much the same things as wiltznucs said. USF is definitely on the rise in terms of national reputation - however, UF is the more famous one in FL.

Regarding food choices, my current office is not too far from USF and there are a ton of restaurants all around. Finding different types of restaurants shouldn't be an issue at all.

I concur with you that the weather or lifestyle in Tampa will be better than most places in Ohio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb12Jacqui View Post
Awesome! Any weather is better than Ohio's weather.. extremely harsh cold winters aren't my thing thanks for all the information!

Old 07-19-2011, 08:55 PM

I've lived in Ohio all my life and hate it.. pretty nice summers but the winters seriously make me go into a depression haha I can't wait to go off to college in Florida! (hopefully)

Old 07-21-2011, 09:39 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,500,424 times
You probably have better numbers than the average incoming freshman although it's usually a bit higher for out of state. Most schools have a freshman profile posted. Seems like a lot of money to spend on out of state tuition to go to USF but maybe money is not a concern for you.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:19 AM

16 posts, read 37,327 times
Is weather the only factor driving your decision? Because you might want to consider some other things like course of study, tuition, job placement rates, social networks/career services, and prestige. I can't imagine why anybody would choose USF over OSU, which is one of the best public universities in the country and which for you, as an in-state student, would be really affordable. With grades like yours, you could get into a national top tier uni or college. College is only 4 years! You can move wherever you want to after you get your degree.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:26 AM

817 posts, read 2,245,889 times
I wouldn't think that you'd have any trouble getting into USF with those credentials.

There are healthy eating options at USF.

The area around campus is not horrible, but it's also not fantastic, especially the areas a little to the west and south. It's a newer school, it's only like 50 years old, so all the buildings will have been built since the 60s. I don't mean this as a knock, but it's not the most attractive campus you'll ever seen. It's not ugly....just sorta plain, I guess. It has a largely commuter population, although that aspect is changing more and and more as they add dorms. Lots of kids that used to be able to get in to UF and FSU can't anymore, so schools like USF and UCF are picking up that overflow.

And I don't mean any offense, but anyone that really thinks that the majority of people in Florida speak Spanish is...well...not that bright.

Tampa is a great city, lots to do. I don't know where you heard that it's scary. I wouldn't use that word to describe Tampa's worst areas, actually.

I'd suggest you make a trip down to tour the campus and see the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: