U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 11:55 PM

3 posts, read 3,938 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are wanting to move down to the Tampa Bay Area. We also have 19 month old daughter. We went on vacation there about a week ago and absolutely loved it. However, I have been doing some research on the area and Florida in general and am having some serious mixed feelings about it now. Here are some of the questions I need answered:

-What is job market like? Will we be able to find something decent being somewhat entry level?

-What are the best yet least expensive areas to live with a low crime rate and somewhat close to the beaches?

-How the He*l do you prepare for a hurricane?!?! lol

-General pros and cons of the area????

It's a pretty big move for us and I don't want this to end up being a huge mistake if we do make the move. We are not made of money so its a big financial risk for us. But we are sick of the midwest and need to be close to the water and figured it'd be easier on us to relocate and re adjust to somewhere new now while we are still young. Please help! sorry for the novel! :P
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 08:16 AM

4,787 posts, read 10,257,190 times
The job market is really not good anywhere now. " Entry " level jobs pay little. You may need two incomes forever just to scrape by. Then you also have to consider the cost of child care, which is expensive.

Do not move without jobs. Depending on where you find jobs, then you can begin researching places to live. The Tampa Bay area is a large metro area with lots of traffic in most of it. When you find jobs, then you can figure out how much of a commute to work you can tolerate and base your decisions on that. An inch on map can mean a hour's drive in real life.

As a renter you have little control over the soundness or ability of your home to withstand a hurricane. Depending on where you live, you may be in a mandatory evacuation area- you'll have to leave to go to a shelter or drive far from the path of the hurricane. Always keep plenty of cash on hand as a reserve. If the power goes out, charge cards, debit cards, ATM cards don't work. Keep all your important papers in a fire proof, waterproof box where you can grab it at a moment's notice.

And please don't base your desire to move on a one week vacation. Visit several times. Do lots of research into jobs and pay scales. Don't move without employment. Good luck

Old 07-20-2011, 08:57 AM

15,971 posts, read 33,798,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
The job market is really not good anywhere now. " Entry " level jobs pay little. You may need two incomes forever just to scrape by. Then you also have to consider the cost of child care, which is expensive.

Do not move without jobs. Depending on where you find jobs, then you can begin researching places to live. The Tampa Bay area is a large metro area with lots of traffic in most of it. When you find jobs, then you can figure out how much of a commute to work you can tolerate and base your decisions on that. An inch on map can mean a hour's drive in real life.

As a renter you have little control over the soundness or ability of your home to withstand a hurricane. Depending on where you live, you may be in a mandatory evacuation area- you'll have to leave to go to a shelter or drive far from the path of the hurricane. Always keep plenty of cash on hand as a reserve. If the power goes out, charge cards, debit cards, ATM cards don't work. Keep all your important papers in a fire proof, waterproof box where you can grab it at a moment's notice.

And please don't base your desire to move on a one week vacation. Visit several times. Do lots of research into jobs and pay scales. Don't move without employment. Good luck
Great post - I second every bit of it!

Old 07-20-2011, 11:08 AM

80 posts, read 147,890 times
How does evacuation work when you have pets? I own two dogs and two cats. Sure the cats can stay in the house as long as there is no flood for a week w/ food and water and cat boxes but the dogs can't.

Has anyone had problems evacuating with pets?

Old 07-20-2011, 12:30 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,257,190 times
First find out if you are in an evacuation area. You can check with the county assessor/appraiser's office website. At least the Pinellas County website does. Put in your address- it usually gives an indication by letter ( A, B, C. D) as to whether you are in an evacuation area. " A " will be told to go first and so on.

Then find out where the shelter (s) are for that area. Many shelters, but not all, now permit dogs/ cats/small pets . However, you would have to have a crate for each pet. Or one large crate for two small dogs.

Sorry, I can't give you a more definite answer. Much of its will simply depend on your situation. Another more expensive possibility is to make arrangements to board your dogs far inland or far from the path of the storm if is seems that your area may take a direct hit. Then get them there days or a week ahead of time.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:54 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,878,767 times
There are shelters for evacuations and ones that allow pets. Honestly, unless you move close to the coast or into a mobile home I wouldn't worry too much about hurricanes (Im not saying don't prepare, just not something to stress over). Just keep plenty of food that wont go bad and water. If a big one is coming then it may be wise to board up the windows as precaution and find a parking garage for the cars.

I agree that you need to try to have jobs lined up before you come though, this is a big area and you wouldnt want to be an hour+ away from work every day.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:12 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,570,561 times
The job market sucks here, we dont have enough for the people who live here, let alone outsiders.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
The job market sucks here, we dont have enough for the people who live here, let alone outsiders.

well thanks for being so welcoming!
anywho... to the rest of you nice people, thanks for all the info! it was very helpful. I think we've got about a year before we would actually move and a couple more vacations planned out, our honeymoon being the next. And definitely we will have jobs lined up.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacmama32 View Post
How does evacuation work when you have pets? I own two dogs and two cats. Sure the cats can stay in the house as long as there is no flood for a week w/ food and water and cat boxes but the dogs can't.

Has anyone had problems evacuating with pets?
Im glad you asked this. I've got a dog, cat and a chinchilla that I'd have to also worry about.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:45 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,071,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
There are shelters for evacuations and ones that allow pets. Honestly, unless you move close to the coast or into a mobile home I wouldn't worry too much about hurricanes (Im not saying don't prepare, just not something to stress over). Just keep plenty of food that wont go bad and water. If a big one is coming then it may be wise to board up the windows as precaution and find a parking garage for the cars.

I agree that you need to try to have jobs lined up before you come though, this is a big area and you wouldnt want to be an hour+ away from work every day.
Huh? Wait until we get a direct hit from a cat. 3 or higher and it would be devastating. The devastation could cross the entire state since it's so narrow. I've been through many hurricanes, and the worst one was 150 miles inland(North Carolina). Take hurricanes very seriously. Also, I can't overstate how important it is to have a job. The employment situation is very bad, and probably won't get better anytime soon. Florida is a nice place to visit, but living here is another story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay