U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2011, 11:54 AM

5 posts, read 19,835 times

Advertisements

I understand your concern, however, after living in phoenix for years, and now back in tulsa, I'm very used to the high crime rate and all that accompanies it. I am also used to heat and humidity (as I write this, it is 109 and climbing outside, with 35% humidity)I know my comment about the stadium and parades seems immaterial, but these do appeal to me. I have a fixed income, plus a part time job, so I don't want my whole check to go towards mortgage, hence the buying outright option. I do plan on visiting the area and househunting before packing up my stuff, my only concern was what areas were to be avoided. I really appreciate everyone's comments, whether critical or not. My attitude is positive, and even if Tampa doesn't live up to my expectations, I will still be happy there.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 02:12 PM

35,318 posts, read 45,278,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmkrzredhed View Post
not sure, was looking between 60 - 125, but now i'm thinking outright buy might be better... it will probably be in the ghetto, since if i do this, i'll probably have to buy a house for 50 grand or so... no payment though, and i do like to fix up stuff. thanks for the reply's, i really can't wait to get out there!!
Coming to an area you know nothing about and immediately buying a house makes no sense to me as its a total gamble as to whether you'll like the area where you buy.
Rent for a year before buying..just a suggestion

Old 08-03-2011, 06:05 PM

13,768 posts, read 35,411,037 times
I agree.. you need to rent first. There are sooo many areas, some good, some bad and some just in between. Rent in an area in your price range before buying. There are plenty of apts that are nice but small.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:26 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,550,470 times
If the road has a number and not a name, drive about 20 minutes away before you start looking again.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:19 AM

I appreciate your feedback, and you are right on track regarding a few short visits before I move. NYC or other large metro's like that are not in my interest as far as activities go. I enjoy going out, but the beach and museums I've researched are more my speed, and anything is more interesting than Tulsa. I'm a small neighborhood bar kinda-girl, and I enjoy riding my motorcycle around, just piddling on the highways. I know that Tampa will be a good fit for me, and thank you for responding/

Old 08-04-2011, 01:21 AM

3,380 posts, read 8,323,153 times
Any place you can find her for 50K is a bad area. Period.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
If the road has a number and not a name, drive about 20 minutes away before you start looking again.
I guess that eliminates just about all of St Pete..

Old 08-04-2011, 09:46 AM

I completely agree, don't know any city, except podunk towns, that would have a 50k house in a good area. I have been looking at a lot of real estate online throughout the tampa area and surrounding burb's, some of the lower priced homes are neat little craftsman style bungalo's, but those are typically in old, low income neighborhoods. I know the real estate market is still down out there, and it saddens me to see all of the short sale homes. It's my understanding that south tampa is,(which I guess is by the bay?)a rough part of town and certain zip codes I've found look a little rough. As far as Tampa itself, which side of town is the middle class, marginally priced homes? As far as burb's go, which one's should I avoid? In tulsa, the outer cities run right into city limits, and without a sign, you wouldn't know you had left tulsa. I assume the outer cities of tampa are the same, do town & country, temple terrace and brandon butt up to tampa, or am I mistaken? Thanks for responding to my original question, and hopefully you can answer some questions here, I do appreciate it.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:09 AM

769 posts, read 1,896,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Any place you can find her for 50K is a bad area. Period.
This.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmkrzredhed View Post
I assume the outer cities of tampa are the same, do town & country, temple terrace and brandon butt up to tampa, or am I mistaken? Thanks for responding to my original question, and hopefully you can answer some questions here, I do appreciate it.
In case you havent looked at a map of the Tampa Bay area heres one for you to get some rough reference of what its all about.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay