Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 07:39 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Since moving to Florida I have had the pleasure of visiting many southern traditional homes that are steeped in southern values! I have never once seen a Confederate flag displayed!However I have seen alot of Confederate flags displayed on rundown homes and beater pick-up trucks? Why is that?
It's because they are white trash rednecks.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:45 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
I do too, and I have said as such. That also does not change my mind that they are a bunch of idiotic rednecks. I wish they would have done it in Lakeland, it fits that town's motif a little better than Tampa.

Honestly that flag is an embarrassment to the area
I agree. Putting it at the intersection of the two major interstates that come into town was a bad idea. It has to leave a bad impression on most tourist that come into the area.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:46 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,041 times
There's a reason the confederate flag is a defacto symbol of the KKK, the "white power crowd", etc

And it's got nothing to do with confederate or southern history

Old 07-25-2011, 08:22 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,020,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Since moving to Florida I have had the pleasure of visiting many southern traditional homes that are steeped in southern values! I have never once seen a Confederate flag displayed!However I have seen alot of Confederate flags displayed on rundown homes and beater pick-up trucks? Why is that?
Because when you have nothing and have achieved nothing, you have to start deriving all your pride from allegiances. The trick is to not get worked up at these types of people, that's exactly what their intent is. Hey, they're the ones stuck in the 95 degree Florida heat mowing lawns or doing construction work. If waving their flags makes it all better than have at it. I'll be in my air conditioned office building with my fancy college degree, making a lot more while sweating a lot less.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:54 PM

55 posts, read 152,302 times
Actually I'm not from the south and I am better with that flag than with my kids getting mlk birthday off and not Washington's. Or maybe not mandating English to whom ever slips in the back door. If you do not like the flag move to Miami and you won't see ours either . Just saying You might have to cut your own grass

Old 07-26-2011, 01:04 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,464,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
What's the deal with that big rebel flag at I4/I75? I've lived here for two years and have never heard it mentioned. I was really surprised to see that in a city like Tampa.
Embarrassing for sure.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:07 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,464,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
Wow! Talk about close minded, ignorant people. I'm sure you would like TN.

If they are within their legal rights (especially since it seems to be a memorial) I have no problem with it. I respect OUR First Amendment.
The other person didn't claim not to. You seem upset that he is expressing how he feels.

I grew up down here. I've NEVER met anybody who proudly displayed that flag who wasn't a bigot or a redneck. EVER.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:11 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Not idiotic rednecks. Proud Americans who are descendants of those who believe in Southern culture.
The "proud Americans" you speak of were a terrorist group who fought against America as a concept. Just sayin'.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:49 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
The "proud Americans" you speak of were a terrorist group who fought against America as a concept. Just sayin'.
There were independent states, exercising their rights. Please explain to me how that is terrorism.

From the Declaration of Independence

"That these united colonies are, and of right ought to be free and independent states; that they are absolved of all allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as free and independent states, they have full power to levy war, conclude peace, contract alliances, establish commerce, and to do all other acts and things which independent states may of right do."

The Articles of Confederation in 1781 did prohibit secession

“Each state retains its sovereignty, freedom, and independence, and every power, jurisdiction, and right, which is not by this confederation expressly delegated to the United States, in Congress assembled.” The Article also prohibited the secession of any member state (“the union shall be perpetual,” Article XIII) unless all of the states agreed to dissolve the Articles."

But 6 years later The Articles of Confederation were replaced with The U.S. Constitution which did not include a clause for a "Perpetual Union" nor any restriction on secession.

After the Civil War, Jefferson Davis, the President of the Confederacy, was arrested for treason. The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court told President Johnson that if Davis was tried for treason that the U.S. would lose because there was nothing in the Constitution that forbids secession.

In 1814 The Federalist Party held a secession convention in New England.
There were also 2 other threats of secession by New England.

Was the Federalist Party a group of terrorists?

Old 07-26-2011, 05:06 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Why do people move to other places and refuse to accept local history, tradition and pride.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay