U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2007, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 19,526 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am a young single male in my mid 20s looking for a fun exciting city with warm weather that doesn't cost a fortune. I currently live in Miami Beach, and while I like the nightlife and some other things here, it is overpriced and I don't speak Spanish. I am planning on law school down the line, and looking for a place to open up shop after graduation. So how's Tampa? I have vacationed for many years with my family to St. Pete (I have family there) and I really like it, but I do worry that there may be not enough of a young professional community there. What do you guys think, how would the Tampa Bay area be for a young single guy like me?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 04:59 PM

6 posts, read 121,114 times
necro8617,

While I don't live in Tampa, I recently went for an extended weekend and experienced/spoke with enough people to give somewhat of an opinion. I am also in my mid 20's, and have lived in Baltimore and DC so am used to a nightlife scene from those cities. From what I gather, you will want to live near the downtown Tampa area. While I was there, I went out to Channelside, Soho/Hyde Park, and Ybor City. They are all relatively close to the heart of downtown, and were the age of a crowd I like to be in. I spent time at some places at Clearwater beach (Rockaway & Pavilion I think theyre called) and they were a bit of an older crowd which is something I gathered as a general rule. Younger people in the city....older crowd closer to the beaches. I did not get a chance to do anything in St. Pete so I can't really speak on that. My plane ride down I sat next to a guy about my age who went to Florida St. and now lives in Tampa and he loves it there. I liked it so much I am planning on moving there in Jan 08! I HATE d.c.!

Old 08-11-2007, 06:37 PM

262 posts, read 901,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastaputa View Post
My plane ride down I sat next to a guy about my age who went to Florida St. and now lives in Tampa and he loves it there. I liked it so much I am planning on moving there in Jan 08! I HATE d.c.!

So did I!!! Okay, I'm one of those "older folks" - but I still don't think of myself that way, ironic isn't it.... anyway, you are doing the right thing in my op! It was about 30 years ago - I was in my early 20s at the time - that my husband and I fled back to FL after having to put up with living in DC and all the garbage that goes along with it (isn't the smog up there the pits!), and the only time DC looked good to me was when it was in my rear-view mirror for the last time.

Although we were in Fairfax (ew) for a bit, we'd been living in Arlington - didn't matter, couldn't stand either one. When you get down to Tampa, check out St. Pete some time, esp. downtown and Baywalk. Think you'll enjoy.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:42 PM

277 posts, read 335,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by necro8617 View Post
Hello all,

I am a young single male in my mid 20s looking for a fun exciting city with warm weather that doesn't cost a fortune. I currently live in Miami Beach, and while I like the nightlife and some other things here, it is overpriced and I don't speak Spanish. I am planning on law school down the line, and looking for a place to open up shop after graduation. So how's Tampa? I have vacationed for many years with my family to St. Pete (I have family there) and I really like it, but I do worry that there may be not enough of a young professional community there. What do you guys think, how would the Tampa Bay area be for a young single guy like me?
You'll do smashingly. If there is such a word. There are tons of young people here. This is really a perfect place for young and old. We have Ybor City, Channelside, Downtown, Westshore on the Tampa side. In St. Pete, you have BayWalk, Downtown, and the Pier, as well as Kenwood and the Central District. In Clearwater, what else can I say, you have the beach. Pull up a chair and enjoy...... It is our college student mecca for spring break.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:45 PM

277 posts, read 335,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastaputa View Post
necro8617,

While I don't live in Tampa, I recently went for an extended weekend and experienced/spoke with enough people to give somewhat of an opinion. I am also in my mid 20's, and have lived in Baltimore and DC so am used to a nightlife scene from those cities. From what I gather, you will want to live near the downtown Tampa area. While I was there, I went out to Channelside, Soho/Hyde Park, and Ybor City. They are all relatively close to the heart of downtown, and were the age of a crowd I like to be in. I spent time at some places at Clearwater beach (Rockaway & Pavilion I think theyre called) and they were a bit of an older crowd which is something I gathered as a general rule. Younger people in the city....older crowd closer to the beaches. I did not get a chance to do anything in St. Pete so I can't really speak on that. My plane ride down I sat next to a guy about my age who went to Florida St. and now lives in Tampa and he loves it there. I liked it so much I am planning on moving there in Jan 08! I HATE d.c.!
DC is not a great place and I agree. I live in the burbs and did not like it. I also lived in Martinsburg, WV, which is an extension of the DC burbs. It is not a bad place, but I tired of living there and am much happier to live in Florida now.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:09 AM

112 posts, read 473,272 times
You will love Tampa BAy... Tons of night life ... beaches during the day. St.Pete and Tampa have alot to offer

Old 08-16-2007, 03:13 PM

311 posts, read 465,704 times
I live in Tampa. As far as nightlife is concerned, your best bets are Hyde Park and many areas in Pinellas County. I would recommend Ybor City, but, the area is not too safe, considering the surrounding neighborhoods in the East Tampa area.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:33 PM

27 posts, read 31,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by necro8617 View Post
how would the Tampa Bay area be for a young single guy like me?
Well, Tampa is the strip club capital on the country...

Also, if you like items, Tampa is the best place to collect cars, furniture, boats and other material possessions on the cheap because of all the old people dying. The downside is that nobody wants to buy your **** in Tampa because people are used to getting everything for cheap or free.

But the younger people live in South Tampa where Irish pubs and karaoke rule supreme! It's actually a refreshing change from all the boring sports bars/restaurants like Brickhouse and Pressbox where stupid parents take their kids to fatten them up and force them to watch the Bucs lose. (That's right, children of all ages allowed in bars where food is served ) I want to punch parents who bring their kids to sports bars will all their "watch your mouth, there's kids in here" nonsense. Oh and because Tampa has the Worst Football Team in the World, they all rally around their stupid Hockey team that always comes in 2nd or 3rd, but never quite makes it. http://www.ibtimes.com/tampa-bay-lig...s-most-1949612

There's also this thing called Ybor City which is like a generic Bourbon St. knockoff that shuts down early because...??? Whatever, that place is where you'll find all the posers and showoffs. Whether you're a raver, rocker, hip-hopper, salsa dancer, gay, goth, country... It's here, they just close early to let the old people sleep. But if you buy a boat, you can go to sandbar parties, drink all night and it's totally legal. which is probably the single coolest thing about Tampa. http://www.tcpalm.com/news/law-on-op...348573431.html

Tampa is super multi-cultural and it's not uncommon to see blacks, whites, Hispanics, gays, liberals and conservatives all hanging out together at the beaches and clubs. There is no one set ideology in Tampa, although there is this bizarre place called Seffner where the main street there is MLK and as you drive through you can see the world's largest confederate flag flying high. http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...626-story.html

The single worst thing about Tampa is traffic. It's the 3rd worst congested city in the country and it's definitely because of old people and stupid city planning. In every other state, elderly people have to renew their licenses when they're 65, in Florida the age is 80!!! And because Tampa leads the nation in elderly people, this is the result: Tampa Bay ranks second-worst nationally in pedestrian deaths | Tampa Bay Times And don't get me started on the 4 minute traffic lights...

Last edited by pawn3d; 07-09-2016 at 11:46 PM..

Old 07-09-2016, 11:38 PM

4,091 posts, read 5,603,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawn3d View Post
Well, Tampa is the strip club capital on the country...

Also, if you like items, Tampa is the best place to collect cars, furniture, boats and other material possessions on the cheap because of all the old people dying. The downside is that nobody wants to buy your **** in Tampa because people are used to getting everything for cheap or free.

But the younger people live in South Tampa where Irish pubs and karaoke rule supreme! It's actually a refreshing change from all the boring sports bars/restaurants like Brickhouse and Pressbox where stupid parents take their kids to fatten them up and force them to watch the Bucs lose. (That's right, children of all ages allowed in bars where food is served ) I want to punch parents who bring their kids to sports bars will all their "watch your mouth, there's kids in here" nonsense. Oh and because Tampa has the Worst Football Team in the World, they all rally around their stupid Hockey team that always comes in 2nd or 3rd, but never quite makes it.

There's also this thing called Ybor City which is like a generic Bourbon St. knockoff that shuts down early because...??? Whatever, that place is where you'll find all the posers and showoffs. Whether you're a raver, rocker, hip-hopper, salsa dancer, gay, goth, country... It's here, they just close early to let the old people sleep. But if you buy a boat, you can go to sandbar parties, drink all night and it's totally legal. which is probably the single coolest thing about Tampa.

Tampa is super multi-cultural and it's not uncommon to see blacks, whites, Hispanics, gays, liberals and conservatives all hanging out together at the beaches and clubs. There is no one set ideology in Tampa, although there is this bizarre place called Seffner where the main street there is MLK and as you drive through you can see the world's largest confederate flag flying high.

The single worst thing about Tampa is traffic. It's the 3rd worst congested city in the country and it's definitely because of old people and stupid city planning. In every other state, elderly people have to renew their licenses when they're 65, in Florida the age is 80!!! And because Tampa leads the nation in elderly people, this is the result: Tampa Bay ranks second-worst nationally in pedestrian deaths | Tampa Bay Times And don't get me started on the 4 minute traffic lights...
Nine years later, I'm sure they figured out what they needed to know.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:12 AM

238 posts, read 541,364 times
Still...it was interesting to read his response!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay