Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 11:43 AM

5 posts, read 20,631 times

Advertisements

I am a 47 yr old female, and I want to move to the Tampa area. I have never been here, but am intrigued by the pirate festivals and buchaneer stadium. I have been searching property in the Brandon area and need to know what parts of Tampa and surrounding metro's i should avoid. Is Tampa as cool as I think it's going to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 08:25 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,465,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmkrzredhed View Post
I am a 47 yr old female, and I want to move to the Tampa area. I have never been here, but am intrigued by the pirate festivals and buchaneer stadium. I have been searching property in the Brandon area and need to know what parts of Tampa and surrounding metro's i should avoid. Is Tampa as cool as I think it's going to be?
Help us help you..Where are you moving from? What price range are you looking for?

Old 07-29-2011, 08:28 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,497 times
Default Yes

Quote:
Tampa is great. Lots of singles....stick to the downtown area & Ybor City if you like more action... although its more expensive. Brandon is too far and more suburban/family out to truly enjoy the day to day activity as are most of the suburbs. Although the subburbs are great, they are more family oriented and fewer singles.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:29 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,497 times
Carrollwood is a great suburb. 12 min. from the airport and 12 miles to downtown and lots of good resturants and a couple very cool bars. But more married people live out there. Brandon, not very cool.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:47 PM

5 posts, read 20,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Help us help you..Where are you moving from? What price range are you looking for?
not sure, was looking between 60 - 125, but now i'm thinking outright buy might be better... it will probably be in the ghetto, since if i do this, i'll probably have to buy a house for 50 grand or so... no payment though, and i do like to fix up stuff. thanks for the reply's, i really can't wait to get out there!!

Old 07-29-2011, 10:26 PM

100 posts, read 367,122 times
You definitely need to make a few short trips to the area before you decide on the big move. Tough to say if Tampa is as cool as you think it to be - that would depend on what your reference point is and what you imply by "cool". If you're comparing to cities such as NYC or Boston in terms of things to do and available options, Tampa does not even come close. However, if you're comparing cost of living to these cities, then Tampa is way cheaper.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:46 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times
Coming to Tampa because of our stadium makes me wonder if you really know what you're getting into. Even experiencing the area as a tourist doesn't give you a feel for what it's like to live here full time - dealing with the heat, humidity, joblessness, crime, etc.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:56 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
What about a job? Where is it? What is an acceptable commute time?
I have to agree with the others moving to Tampa because of a stadium and a couple of pirate parades is not a very good reason. It is fine to like those things but there is a lot more to Tampa than supposed pirates.

Do not buy until you have rented. Commute times can be long even a short distance depending on where you live and work.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:54 PM

30,405 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Come see the dream first before living it. Most of Tampa is so so at best. Any real nice hood like Danashores will cost ya a good 400k or more for a nice house.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:11 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,621,173 times
Quote:
not sure, was looking between 60 - 125, but now i'm thinking outright buy might be better... it will probably be in the ghetto, since if i do this, i'll probably have to buy a house for 50 grand or so... no payment though, and i do like to fix up stuff. thanks for the reply's, i really can't wait to get out there!!
You may want to reconsider the payment, the ghetto is pretty bad in Tampa. You might be able to find an ok house in Seminole Heights in your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay