Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 09:12 AM

450 posts, read 1,059,419 times

Advertisements

I am nearing retirement. As my "handle" implies, I am an ex-NY'er (from Upstate) and have spent several years in SW Ohio. I am single, politically conservative (read into that what you will), and middle class. I like small town living with occasional access to the city for variety (restaurants and museums). I like an out-of-doors lifestyle with trails and paths and not overly crowded streets (with sidewalks) for walking and bicycling. I would like to have the ability to drive my sportscar on pleasant evenings without sitting in traffic jams or getting run over by an 18 wheeler. Those are essentially my parameters for relocation. Other than the total collapse of Social Security and the stock market or escalating taxes, I don't get too excited by things going on around me. I've had my time in life to worry about all those things, but now as a new generation moves to the forefront, let them have their turn. I want to focus on enjoying life with the time remaining, which is why (beside the weather) I like Florida as I do. It seems you folks live life in the present.
I have been researching mobile home communities (age restricted) in all the communities listed on Craigslist and have criss-crossed the state by car. If any posters have ideas or suggestions on places I can look into in greater detail, I would greatly appreciate it. Oh, and not to forget-- I love your beaches, which is why I could never retire here in Ohio!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 11:32 AM

3 posts, read 3,309 times
Everything youre looking for is what im in search of as well! But no one wants to reply to my thread! haha I'll let you know if I come across any useful info!

Old 08-06-2011, 12:05 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGirlTampaBound View Post
Everything youre looking for is what im in search of as well! But no one wants to reply to my thread! haha I'll let you know if I come across any useful info!
Well if you are like OP, not sure you get all you want with such a loaded question.

Let's see

I am single, politically conservative (read into that what you will)[1], and middle class [2]. I like small town [3] living with occasional access to the city for variety (restaurants and museums)[4]. I like an out-of-doors lifestyle with trails and paths [5]and not overly crowded streets (with sidewalks) for walking and bicycling [6].

I would like to have the ability to drive my sportscar on pleasant evenings without sitting in traffic jams[7] or getting run over by an 18 wheeler. Those are essentially my parameters for relocation.

I have been researching mobile home communities (age restricted)[8] in all the communities listed on Craigslist and have criss-crossed the state by car. If any posters have ideas or suggestions on places I can look into in greater detail, I would greatly appreciate it. Oh, and not to forget-- I love your beaches [oh yeah 9], which is why I could never retire here in Ohio!

I am looking for it and be back when I get the answer

Old 08-06-2011, 12:43 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
OP, you do realize that the Tampa Bay area isn't exactly "small town" don't you. Did you mean to post in the Florida forum? There are a few communities along the panhandle that might appeal to you.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:14 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnyer View Post
I like small town living with occasional access to the city for variety (restaurants and museums). I like an out-of-doors lifestyle with trails and paths and not overly crowded streets (with sidewalks) for walking and bicycling. I would like to have the ability to drive my sportscar on pleasant evenings without sitting in traffic jams or getting run over by an 18 wheeler.
That sure doesnt sound like the Tampa area will be for you.
You say you've been around the state,anyplace that looked promising?
As Buc says i'd be looking in the panhandle area for a nice town not too far from the beach and nice country roads for that sportscar,
Somewhere in this area, Crestview and Defuniak Springs would be on my shortlist.Areas closer to the beach would be nice but they tend to get more expensive ...
http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=US-...=9&via=3,4&z=8

Out of curiosity what kind of sportscar?

Old 08-06-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
OP, you do realize that the Tampa Bay area isn't exactly "small town" don't you. Did you mean to post in the Florida forum? There are a few communities along the panhandle that might appeal to you.
Perhaps I should have mentioned a small town within the greater Tampa metro area. In my mind, that can be an hour or more away. On the edge of suburbia so to speak.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
Well if you are like OP, not sure you get all you want with such a loaded question.

Let's see

I am single, politically conservative (read into that what you will)[1], and middle class [2]. I like small town [3] living with occasional access to the city for variety (restaurants and museums)[4]. I like an out-of-doors lifestyle with trails and paths [5]and not overly crowded streets (with sidewalks) for walking and bicycling [6].

I would like to have the ability to drive my sportscar on pleasant evenings without sitting in traffic jams[7] or getting run over by an 18 wheeler. Those are essentially my parameters for relocation.

I have been researching mobile home communities (age restricted)[8] in all the communities listed on Craigslist and have criss-crossed the state by car. If any posters have ideas or suggestions on places I can look into in greater detail, I would greatly appreciate it. Oh, and not to forget-- I love your beaches [oh yeah 9], which is why I could never retire here in Ohio!

I am looking for it and be back when I get the answer
Not sure what you mean by "loaded question" Craigslist seems to have several mobile home communities listed in Lakeland, Zephyrhills, Plant City, for example. Are these communities not part of the larger Tampa Bay area? If not, I'm sorry, using the area I'm in as a guage of measurement, Columbus, Dayton, and Cincinnati are all merging into one huge area and I'm caught in the middle, read SPRAWL. Dayton and Cincinnati are already being referred to as a "metroplex". I like some of the attractions of the city but need to be far enough away to enjoy the virtues of "community"

Old 08-06-2011, 05:08 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Plant City might be what you are looking for..

Old 08-06-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
That sure doesnt sound like the Tampa area will be for you.
You say you've been around the state,anyplace that looked promising?
As Buc says i'd be looking in the panhandle area for a nice town not too far from the beach and nice country roads for that sportscar,
Somewhere in this area, Crestview and Defuniak Springs would be on my shortlist.Areas closer to the beach would be nice but they tend to get more expensive ...
US-90 W/W Tennessee St to US-319 S/US-98 W/Coastal Hwy - Google Maps

Out of curiosity what kind of sportscar?
To answer your question, an '84 Corvette, likely to be replaced before I retire with a later model. Too many bugs with the cross-fire injection system and to restore it to the condition I'd like. Shame though, it's low mileage but was abused before I bought it. Thanks for asking

Old 08-06-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGirlTampaBound View Post
Well, stay in touch. What part of the country are you in now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay