Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 02:07 PM

501 posts, read 1,191,914 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to Plant City late September from out of state, and need to know the pros and cons, if possible. Also, what are the DMV requirements? What type of rental homes are there? We're looking at homes, not apartments, as we are only interested in renting, not buying. Flexible budget at this point, not knowing what to expect. No need for school info. Sorry for so many questions!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by from nv; 08-11-2011 at 02:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 02:24 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
I've only visited the place for a huge custom car show and another time for a huge Strawberry festival.
The downtown area looks nice, Being a train buff i really like the double track mainline going through downtown with the 90 degree cross track and railway museum,The whole area is outside the rat race of tampa, homes seem affordable and the countryside all around is .. pastoral, some may not like the area but i'd happily live there.i guess its going to come down to what you think when you visit the area.
As in any area it would be in your best interests to rent for a year before buying a house..

Old 08-11-2011, 06:27 PM

224 posts, read 551,271 times
I think about Plant City too sometimes. It seems like it goes block by block, some areas are nice then turn pretty bad quick. For such a small town it has a lot of amenities. Prices are good for what you get. I really think you need to know the area before buying.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:38 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,720 times
It's nice, but parts of it are inundated with illegals, so you get your respite crime. Most of the city is nice. I would rather live there than Lakeland or Dade City.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:33 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,303,620 times
Downtown is nice, but that's about it. Might as well go a few miles east into Lakeland.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:44 PM

794 posts, read 1,860,611 times
The Walden Lake Community in Plant city is one of the nicest areas in the Tampa area. Dog Parks, large lake for kyacking, bike and walking trails, golf course, tennis courts, parks, close to shopping. They have a Lowes, Walmart, Bealls, Publics, Sweet Bay, pretty much anything you need including fast food, restaurants, etc.

The area is not very crowded and there are other nice communities in many price ranges in the area. The schools are some of the best in the area; they have their own section on Wednesdays in the Tampa Tribune.

There are more illegals in St. Pete and Clearwater then there are in Plant City. The area is full of hard working farmers surrounded by white collar commuters. They do not have panhandlers on every corner or vagrants in the parks in Plant City.

Check it out for yourself; do research; ask residents who live there.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:54 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Downtown is nice, but that's about it. Might as well go a few miles east into Lakeland.
Lakeland is JesusLand, and just as much crime, and it's farther from any decent place you could work.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:22 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,303,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Lakeland is JesusLand, and just as much crime, and it's farther from any decent place you could work.
And Plant City isn't Jesusland? At least Lakeland has nice architecture.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:43 AM

794 posts, read 1,860,611 times
Jesusland????? Illegals???? Both of you need to start proving your statements rather than throwing out random negative adjectives that are unfounded and give people the wrong impression.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:46 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Dude, you need to quit spouting so much nonsense. We lived in Lakeland two years, it is NOT "Jesusland" whatever the heck that is supposed to mean. It is a beautiful artsy city with a performing art center, more public art than Sarasota, a beautiful arts center, a completely restored downtown, lakes for the public use and some of the most interesting, preserved architecture in the state including the largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright buildings anywhere (Florida Southern College). It is an easy drive to Tampa, and just a bit longer to Orlando and has the best bus system and bike/pedestrian lanes of ANYWHERE I have seen in Florida, especially for such a small city.

As to Plant City - it's too small/rural for me, but I have heard Walden Lake is really nice. My husband had a coworker who lived there and loved it. Very convenient to Tampa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay