Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:48 AM

6 posts, read 15,785 times

Advertisements

Having only visited the Tampa Bay area once, we need help! Here's what we're looking for: a least 1 acre (I restore classic cars as a hobby, so I need space, plus we live in the country in California, so I'm really not to fond of neighbors too close). Smaller town (we live in a town of 20,000). Not too far from the beach (30 minutes or less). Good commute to Orlando (we go to Costa Rica once a year). Lower home prices. Ideally, riding my bicycle into town. Don't like big city life. MUST have older growth trees (no new neighborhoods).

Can anyone make a suggestion as to where we might start looking?

Thanks,

Patrick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 11:41 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,282,760 times
You can get some GREAT prices on houses with acreage east of Tampa in areas such as Brandon, Dover, Valrico, etc. There are a lot of properties large enough for horses, barns, etc. You can easily find a house on 5 acres for less than $250k. The downside is that you are at least an hour from the beach.

You won't find many 1 acre+ lots in Pinellas, as Pinellas County has the highest population concentration in the state. You could also try less-concentrated Pasco County if you want to be closer to the beach.

I'm not sure what you mean by "riding my bicycle into town". Only someone who is suicidal would attempt to go from the further suburbs into downtown, as the roads are very, very unfriendly to cycling.

Also, why would the commute to Orlando be important if you are only traveling there once a year?

Old 08-12-2011, 12:30 PM

325 posts, read 441,607 times
Florida Largo/ Pinellas Horse Acreage near the Beach! (http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/reo/2538742080.html - broken link)

Old 08-12-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
You can get some GREAT prices on houses with acreage east of Tampa in areas such as Brandon, Dover, Valrico, etc. There are a lot of properties large enough for horses, barns, etc. You can easily find a house on 5 acres for less than $250k. The downside is that you are at least an hour from the beach.

You won't find many 1 acre+ lots in Pinellas, as Pinellas County has the highest population concentration in the state. You could also try less-concentrated Pasco County if you want to be closer to the beach.

I'm not sure what you mean by "riding my bicycle into town". Only someone who is suicidal would attempt to go from the further suburbs into downtown, as the roads are very, very unfriendly to cycling.

Also, why would the commute to Orlando be important if you are only traveling there once a year?
I'll explain further. I like small towns, so riding into town does not mean riding into "the city". The "town" we live in has one main street, and I didn't know if there we any small towns in the area. Also, I should have mentioned that we would like to be within an hour of Orlando because we have MANY relatives that would visit and want to go to Disney World.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:59 PM

663 posts, read 1,144,406 times
Dade City or Brooksville. Both very small town and country. very pretty areas

Old 08-14-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyff67 View Post
Dade City or Brooksville. Both very small town and country. very pretty areas
I'll take a look at both of them. Thanks. How about New Port Richey?

Old 08-14-2011, 08:42 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchevyguy View Post
I'll take a look at both of them. Thanks. How about New Port Richey?
Forget NPR, I don't think it's what you are looking for at all.

I highly recommend Dade City and it's unincorporated areas namely Darby, Blanton, Trilby and St. Joe. Also San Antonio to the south west. BEAUTIFUL gorgeous area, with rolling hills (some good sized!) green pastures, woods and lakes. It's a bit more developed than it used to be, and more expensive but as you get further out you can still find a deal. You might go north of there toward Ridge Manor as well, and as mentioned, Brooksville. I think you will like something in this general region.

You will be at least an hour from there to any beaches, but the area makes it worth it for what you want to do.

Good luck to you!

Old 08-14-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Forget NPR, I don't think it's what you are looking for at all.

I highly recommend Dade City and it's unincorporated areas namely Darby, Blanton, Trilby and St. Joe. Also San Antonio to the south west. BEAUTIFUL gorgeous area, with rolling hills (some good sized!) green pastures, woods and lakes. It's a bit more developed than it used to be, and more expensive but as you get further out you can still find a deal. You might go north of there toward Ridge Manor as well, and as mentioned, Brooksville. I think you will like something in this general region.

You will be at least an hour from there to any beaches, but the area makes it worth it for what you want to do.

Good luck to you!
Before I start looking up these areas, are they just residential, or are they small "main street" towns? As an example, I live near Sacramento. There are several "towns", like Rancho Cordova, Fair Oaks, Orangevalle, etc. that border Sac, but you couldn't tell one from the other as they all blend together. But areas like El Dorado Hills, Shingle Springs, and Placerville are seperated by a few miles and have their own business districts.

Just trying to get a lay of the land before we do our first "due diligence" trip to the aresa

Old 08-14-2011, 10:59 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,290 times
Dade City has a "main street" feel, and would be pedestrian/bike friendly compared to other areas mentioned. You may also want to consider Plant City. It's almost halfway between the beach and Orlando right off I4. You would need to live close to town to be safe for cycling.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:59 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchevyguy View Post
Before I start looking up these areas, are they just residential, or are they small "main street" towns? As an example, I live near Sacramento. There are several "towns", like Rancho Cordova, Fair Oaks, Orangevalle, etc. that border Sac, but you couldn't tell one from the other as they all blend together. But areas like El Dorado Hills, Shingle Springs, and Placerville are seperated by a few miles and have their own business districts.

Just trying to get a lay of the land before we do our first "due diligence" trip to the aresa
OK, Dade City, San Antonio are small towns. You would love San Antonio, it's VERY small, but has a tiny town center, hills, lots of old trees. Dade City is a little larger, but still what I call a really small town. We lived in the area for years, had a couple houses on a couple acres with garages (my hubby loves old cars, and is building one of his own design!) some of the other areas I mentioned are in the vicinity but are not a "town" so to speak.

You will see developments around, this is Florida and a nice area. But it will be nothing like the large congested cities and areas to the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay