Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 09:28 PM

197 posts, read 522,354 times

Advertisements

My father in law is in James A. Haley Veterans' Hospital and we need a hotel to stay at. Seems like every place i read has terrible reviews. One review I read said the streets around the VA hospital are full of hookers. So where is a good place to stay that is approx 30 minutes or less from the hospital? Im in Kansas and my husband is currently on his way back from Iraq, this is an emergency and I need a very clean and safe place for us to stay/ Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 09:33 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Yea. That's a pretty good description of the area. It's one of the worst areas of Tampa actually. Luckily there are a lot of good hotels within 30 minutes. I would recommend the La Quinta or Wingate by USF.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:00 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,927 times
I wouldn't say its the worst area in Tampa by any means but its not really a good one. My suggestions would be the La quinta on fowler (there is one right around the corner on 30th street, dont get them confused), There is also a windgate or something and embassy suites (depending on your budget). Those are all a little bit separated from the bad spots as the university is on one side and busch gardens is on the other. There are also a ton of places to eat within 2 blocks of them.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:05 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Yea. That's a pretty good description of the area. It's one of the worst areas of Tampa actually. Luckily there are a lot of good hotels within 30 minutes. I would recommend the La Quinta or Wingate by USF.
I second these two hotels. My sister came to visit me with her family. She is allergic to my dog, so she has to stay in a hotel. She stayed at the La Quinta. It was fairly cheap. The hotel rooms are small, but it is clean and comfortable. Wingate is a much nicer hotel, but more expensive. They both are within a 5 minute drive to the VA.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:44 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,283,237 times
If you use Priceline and choose the "Busch Gardens" area, the 3* hotels that you will receive will be one of the following:

Embassy Suites USF/Busch Gardens
Holiday Inn Tampa Near Busch Gardens
Hyatt Place Tampa/Busch Gardens

the 2.5* in that zone is the Clarion Hotel and Conference Center.

Recent winning bids for these properties have been in the $35-50 a night range. (source: betterbidding.com, biddingfortravel.com)

Any of these four hotels should be pretty good. The La Quinta is only a 2* and has a standard rate of $59/nt. No need to stay there if a much better property is available for less money.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:52 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Stars mean nothing. The La Quinta near USF is fairly new and hooker free.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
If you use Priceline and choose the "Busch Gardens" area, the 3* hotels that you will receive will be one of the following:

Embassy Suites USF/Busch Gardens
Holiday Inn Tampa Near Busch Gardens
Hyatt Place Tampa/Busch Gardens

the 2.5* in that zone is the Clarion Hotel and Conference Center.

Recent winning bids for these properties have been in the $35-50 a night range. (source: betterbidding.com, biddingfortravel.com)

Any of these four hotels should be pretty good. The La Quinta is only a 2* and has a standard rate of $59/nt. No need to stay there if a much better property is available for less money.
There are 2 laquintas right there, the 2* is the one on busch and 30th street. I used to work for laquinta a while ago and that one I personally wouldnt stay in. The other, on fowler is MUCH nicer and I would have no problem staying there (im pretty picky where I sleep too)

Old 08-13-2011, 04:37 PM

22 posts, read 37,237 times
The closer to Interstate 75 off of Fowler or Fletcher Ave, the better. That is if you are looking to be close to the VA. I would not recommend any hotels in this immediate area.
I have been in Tampa for 10 years and there are worse places. Not the best of areas, but it's not that scary..
There is always Downtown Tampa, nice hotels and not far using Interstate 275..approx. 15 min drive from the VA.
Hope this helps..

Old 08-13-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccimarlena View Post
The closer to Interstate 75 off of Fowler or Fletcher Ave, the better. That is if you are looking to be close to the VA. I would not recommend any hotels in this immediate area.
I have been in Tampa for 10 years and there are worse places. Not the best of areas, but it's not that scary..
There is always Downtown Tampa, nice hotels and not far using Interstate 275..approx. 15 min drive from the VA.
Hope this helps..
at 2x's the price though and I wouldnt consider most of down town any safer at night.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:33 AM

100 posts, read 367,296 times
I'm with the others on this. The three hotels right across from USF - Wingate by Wyndham, La Quinta, and Embassy Suites are very nice, safe, and family-friendly. All these hotels are on Fowler (with easy access to I-275 and I-75 and close to a ton of restaurants) and are either on the same side of the street as the USF campus or directly across the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay