Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 10:03 AM

177 posts, read 685,727 times

Advertisements

Today we received our first full month TECO bill which was only $130 (including $7 for a surge protection system). This is much less than we paid in Houston, Texas when we lived there in the early 90'2.

Our home, built in 1989, is 1950 sq ft. We have a high efficiency Carrier air con which the previous owner put in 3 years ago. We have an aluminum tile roof (which I think helps because our attic temp is not much higher than the outside temp).

We keep the inside humidity below 50% and the temp at about 80 deg during the day. From 10PM to 6 AM the thermostat is set at 85 deg (humidistat still set at 50%).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 11:52 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
That's pretty good - I keep my AC no higher than 80, with a period of time when I'm home keeping it about 76/77. My place is about 1500 sq ft, and has some of the latest building codes for energy conservation (double paned windows, more insulation in the attic, few other stuff I guess)...bill was around $100. That has been my max over the years - July/Aug/Sept are always my peak months.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:49 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,517 times
holy cow, 80 during the day ??? we keep ours at 74 but were at only about 1500 sqft and built in 91 and our highest bill has been 170.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:02 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
It goes up to 80 when I'm out of the house during the day......I have a timing device that allows me to set it for various temps during the day/night.....why keep it so cool if I'm out for several hours? Plus the shock to your body going from 95 degrees outside to 75/76 isn't enjoyable.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:38 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhanson View Post
Today we received our first full month TECO bill which was only $130
They're just getting to know you, wait for the second bill..

Old 08-13-2011, 06:38 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
It goes up to 80 when I'm out of the house during the day......I have a timing device that allows me to set it for various temps during the day/night.....why keep it so cool if I'm out for several hours? Plus the shock to your body going from 95 degrees outside to 75/76 isn't enjoyable.
oo that shock is VERY enjoyable to me!!!!

I do need to get a programmable thermostat though, I agree that while were gone all day we could be saving a few bucks! I think I heard an add about teco offering them for free too

Old 08-15-2011, 10:05 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,283,009 times
You will find that people in the Tampa Bay are very ignorant of what goes on in the rest of the country and the world. For example, our electricity prices are very reasonable compared to other regions in the US, and much, much cheaper than Europe (where the push for renewable power makes electricity prices 2-3 times as high as the US).

However, many of the homes in Florida were not built to be very energy efficient - poor windows and insulation, no shading trees, etc. Yet who do the owners blame when they get high bills? The electric company. That's like blaming the restaurant because you ordered too much food.

If you do what you can to get the easy savings (weather stripping on doors, programmable thermostat, etc), you can save a lot of money. You can then take those savings to pay for bigger improvements (new windows, attic fan, etc).

Old 08-15-2011, 11:07 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
You will find that people in the Tampa Bay are very ignorant of what goes on in the rest of the country and the world. For example, our electricity prices are very reasonable compared to other regions in the US, and much, much cheaper than Europe (where the push for renewable power makes electricity prices 2-3 times as high as the US).

I've seen my parents electricity bills in SpringHill Fla. and they run around $300 per month from May to November,a bit less for the rest of the year, i dont know what they pay in the rest of the world but 2-3X my parents amount doesnt seem reasonable.
Here in Canada i get a bill for under $200 every 3 months..

Old 08-15-2011, 11:28 AM

1,309 posts, read 4,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post

However, many of the homes in Florida were not built to be very energy efficient - poor windows and insulation, no shading trees, etc. Yet who do the owners blame when they get high bills? The electric company. That's like blaming the restaurant because you ordered too much food.

If you do what you can to get the easy savings (weather stripping on doors, programmable thermostat, etc), you can save a lot of money. You can then take those savings to pay for bigger improvements (new windows, attic fan, etc).
I hear ya on that...I CANNOT STAND OUR SINGLE PANE WINDOWS. That's the first thing we'd love to replace if we came across some extra cash.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:09 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,283,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I've seen my parents electricity bills in SpringHill Fla. and they run around $300 per month from May to November,a bit less for the rest of the year, i dont know what they pay in the rest of the world but 2-3X my parents amount doesnt seem reasonable.
Here in Canada i get a bill for under $200 every 3 months..
I'm sure your air conditioner is running around the clock in that 90 degree Canadian weather. I would bet that your utility is producing almost free hydroelectric power, too.

It's not reasonable, but that's what you get when you bow down to the altar of renewables. Here's a few sample prices from the larger countries in Europe (source: wikipedia):

Canada: 6 cents/kWh (mostly hydroelectric and nuclear power)
TECO/Progress: about 12 cents/kWh

Denmark: 43 cents/kWh
France: 19 cents/kWh (they are 75% nuclear)
Germany: 31 cents/kWh
Ireland: 24 cents/kWh
Italy: 37 cents/kWh
Netherlands: 35 cents/kWh
Spain: 20 cents/kWh
Sweden: 27 cents/kWh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: