Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 04:32 PM

2 posts, read 31,982 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are moving to FL and are considering renting a house off of E Hollywood St, just east of 275 and just west of Nebraska. We are getting a good deal on rent because the house is owned by a friend's mom... but I want to make sure the area is "relatively" safe. I have heard the neighborhoods are hit-and-miss in the Seminole Heights area. We both love the charm of older neighborhoods and the unique homes and diverse people that often live there - but we don't want to have to constantly be looking over our shoulder or deal with trashy, rude people all the time. Can someone with knowledge of this particular area help give me a feel for the neighborhood? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 04:54 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallastoTampa View Post
My partner and I are moving to FL and are considering renting a house off of E Hollywood St, just east of 275 and just west of Nebraska. We are getting a good deal on rent because the house is owned by a friend's mom... but I want to make sure the area is "relatively" safe. I have heard the neighborhoods are hit-and-miss in the Seminole Heights area. We both love the charm of older neighborhoods and the unique homes and diverse people that often live there - but we don't want to have to constantly be looking over our shoulder or deal with trashy, rude people all the time. Can someone with knowledge of this particular area help give me a feel for the neighborhood? Thank you.
Is that actually Seminole Heights or Sulphur Springs? I looked it up on Google, and it looks like it actually falls into Sulphur springs. Pix of the street on Google look OK, and it's near the river, but honestly, being near the interstate and so close to or maybe even IN Sulphur Springs is not the most desirable situation. Have you been there or researched this area more? Sulphur Springs is about the highest crime area of Tampa. Just Google some articles on it and you will see what I mean. It's probably a little bit better than it used to be but still.

If I were you I would go a little further south and west and be right in Old Seminole Heights. This is a solid neighborhood and it will be worth it even if it costs a little more. If it were me I would want to be west of Florida Ave. There is however, a nice area called Lake Roberta that is on the east side that you could check out.

ETA: Crime map for Sulphur Springs

http://www.spotcrime.com/fl/tampa/sulphur+springs

Hope this helps.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:26 PM

2 posts, read 31,982 times
Thanks gypsychic. I had never heard of Sulphur Springs until you mentioned it. It looks like we would be right on the border between that and Seminole Heights. Wish I was there now so I could get a better feel for the area, but definitely a little concerned looking at the crime statistics. Thanks again for your help!

Old 08-15-2011, 07:39 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,385,548 times
you'll probably want to avoid that part of town altogether.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:57 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,530 times
You will see a lot of trashy people in that neighorbood along Nebraska Ave. Gypschic's post was pretty accurate. I think west of I275 is a safe bet, but there are some nice areas east of Nebraska. If you have a waterfront lot on E. Hollywood, with a dock, I would risk it myself.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:02 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
I've sold two houses near E Hollywood to DINKS...one on Broad St, the other on 10th Ave. I've stood outside the houses and talked with friendly neighbors and never been afraid. Sulphur Springs is North of the River. East Hollywood and the streets I mentioned above are all South of the River. Personally, the area I liked best was just south of the River and East of Nebraska along Park Drive. It was lush with mature trees and picnic tables sprinkled here and there along the riverbanks. None of the above are Seminole Heights, they're too far north, but they're close. I know I rambled a bit but I hope this makes some sense!

Old 08-16-2011, 04:07 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
You should be fine. There are lots of creeps along Nebraska, but you're usually okay back in the neighborhoods. The Hillsborough River has to have some of the most affordable waterfront property in the area. Go across the river into Sulphur Springs and that's a different issue altogether!

Old 02-17-2012, 10:08 PM

224 posts, read 551,035 times
Is Sligh and Nebraska Seminole Heights and ok?

Old 02-18-2012, 08:05 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
It's pretty much ghetto. Anything East of Central Ave is ghetto. Period.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:06 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,385,548 times
that area's hood, but more importantly, it's ugly hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: